Moving to Madison this summer.....Questions about trails and bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Moving to Madison this summer.....Questions about trails and bikes

I'm going to be moving from LA to Madison for graduate school this coming June. So, just a few questions for you all. What are some of the places to ride within a two hour drive? I grew up in the Milwaukee area and have only ridden the Southern Kettles (Emma Carlin and Muir). Also, what type of bike is optimal for the terrain? I know that my M6 is going to go, and I plan on keeping the Uzzi and singlespeed. Anyway, your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Head over to madcitydirt.com, sign up in the forums and introduce yourself. You'll get all the trail, bike, and beer suggestions you could ever want.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    There are new DH/FR trails going in at Mt. Morris (the home of the WORS Subaru Cup, now a ProXCT event) that your M6 or Uzzi would be great for. There are also some good stuff up at Marquette Mtn if you're willing to make the drive up.

Otherwise, pretty much everyone rolls on an XC bike. Whether that's a hardtail or FS, 26" or 29er, geared or singlespeed.

=========
    I think brassnipples means http://www.madcitydirt.org/

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hey bro. I made the same move for grad school about 2 1/2 yrs ago from the east coast. There is a growing scene here in terms of freeride and dirt jumping. We recently completed a pump track right in a park in downtown Madison. A couple of us who built it are kinda the trail managers now, so mor stuff is to come. Also, a professional trail building company is coming in this spring to build a dirt jump/ pumptrack park about 10 mins outside of Madison. As for trail riding, Blue mounds is really fun. Its 30 miles west of Madison. I think you will find a good group out here. The cross country scene is really big and there is a good group of us who race some of the local DH races. There is a really good race series up at Marquette Mountain in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...not a ton of vertical but some nice technical riding. Anyways, this is probablly my last summer in Madison, but I will be out riding eveyday.....don't hesitate to shoot and email ([email protected]) if you have any questions.

Josh

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replys, everybody! Amazing that dirt jumping and pump tracks are popping up in the Madison area, while there are so few in the LA area. Really happy to hear that there are places in the area that the M6 will come in handy. After doing runs this weekend out in the Inland Empire, I know that I can't part with the big bike.

do a lot of xc riding on the singlespeed, so I'm looking forward to checking out Bluemound. Jcuzz, which program are you in? Where on the east coast are you from? I got accepted to the DPT program at UW, but am also considering Columbia as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuzz
    Hey bro. I made the same move for grad school about 2 1/2 yrs ago from the east coast. There is a growing scene here in terms of freeride and dirt jumping. We recently completed a pump track right in a park in downtown Madison. A couple of us who built it are kinda the trail managers now, so mor stuff is to come. Also, a professional trail building company is coming in this spring to build a dirt jump/ pumptrack park about 10 mins outside of Madison. As for trail riding, Blue mounds is really fun. Its 30 miles west of Madison. I think you will find a good group out here. The cross country scene is really big and there is a good group of us who race some of the local DH races. There is a really good race series up at Marquette Mountain in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...not a ton of vertical but some nice technical riding. Anyways, this is probablly my last summer in Madison, but I will be out riding eveyday.....don't hesitate to shoot and email ([email protected]) if you have any questions.

Josh
    Hey are you talking about quarry park? Its been awhile since ive been there. Are you guys doing the Tuesday night rides still? Im moving back to mad-town this late spring/early summer

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have only lived here for 2 1/2 years, but the older riders told me about the tues night rides. I don't think they happen, but you can count on me and others being out at quarry park pretty much every day during the week! Hit us up when you are back in town. We have a dumptruck load of dirt coming in to help maintain the pumptrack and expand it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Bad Brains

Standing Rock in Plover, 9-mile in Wausau, Levis-Trow in Niellsville, Lowe's Creek in Eau Claire, Underdown in Merrill-Tomahawk, Raven & Mud Lake in Rhinelander, Nicolet- Roche & Bear Paw in Langlade, Baird Creek in Green Bay, Greenbush in N.Kettles/Greenbush, Hidden Lakes & N.Nicolet in Eagle River, Hatchery Creek/Makwa in Hayward, Ojibwe in Cable @ Mt. Telemark, Rock Lake & Namakagon in Cable/Namakagon and lots of exploring in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, as well as , stupendous northern state forests, and lot's not limit ourselves ... there is the UP with Copper Harbor, Ironwood, Marquette, Houghton Lake and more? It's Grad school man! Run away and play in this state before it's too late and all is over and onto....Enjoy grad school, I know I did.

Members who have read this thread: 0