Moving back to Wisconsin...show me the mileage!- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

Moving back to Wisconsin...show me the mileage!

I am moving back to Madison after living for 20 years in Bend, Oregon. I will sadly miss the great trails there, but I needed to move back closer to family.

I am needing advice! I saw the "where are the technical trails" thread, and can hardly wait to ride them!

My question is, where can I ride for hours upon hours, and get in a good 25-30 mile ride, without doing the same loop over and over again (preferably all singletrack)? It does not have to be gnarly technical, as Bend itself, while a mountain biking mecca, is not the most technical place to ride. I am used to fast and fairly smooth.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    In order of proximity to Madison:
    Kettle Moraine
    Levis Mound
    9-Mile
    Underdown
    CAMBA/Hayward

Kettle Moraine Southern Unit (Muir/Emma Carlin) is the only big (30+ miles) trail system that is practical to get to often, it's within an hour's drive of Madison. Hayward is ~5 hours away if memory serves.

The southern part of the state has good riding, but it mostly comes in smaller chunks. There just are not that many large units of land not devoted to agriculture.

Check out the local club, Capital Off Road Pathfinders. If you want more miles of trail, the limiting factors are money and participation.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I can't speak to the southern and eastern part of WI, but Levis Trow mounds is one of the original IMBA epic routes and it's easy to get 20 miles there. There is also the chequamegon national forest with hundreds of miles of trails and fire roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I am moving back to Madison after living for 20 years in Bend, Oregon. I will sadly miss the great trails there, but I needed to move back closer to family.

I am needing advice! I saw the "where are the technical trails" thread, and can hardly wait to ride them!

My question is, where can I ride for hours upon hours, and get in a good 25-30 mile ride, without doing the same loop over and over again (preferably all singletrack)? It does not have to be gnarly technical, as Bend itself, while a mountain biking mecca, is not the most technical place to ride. I am used to fast and fairly smooth.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Welcome to the area.

None will be real mountain riding. To me Underdown has the most out there feel of the places mentioned.

Blue Mound will be your biggest ride close to home. If you do it right it has more vertical than any ski area in the state but that's not saying much. Big yes to money and participation as the limiting factors for more trails. The madcitydirt.com site is where you go for mtb in your new home.

Forward At All Times
    Nordic mountain is good riding hard uphill fast tricky downhill. Kettles is def my favorite spot. Im going to try levis and hartman creek this year.
    If you cant become the best at something, just be good at everything. Live Fast Die Slow

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The big boys (CAMBA, Duluth, Cuyuna) are all 3 hours north. The one bonus about all those systems is they are all near one highway, so if you hit one, with a little extra driving, you can hit all three.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    The big boys (CAMBA, Duluth, Cuyuna) are all 3 hours north. The one bonus about all those systems is they are all near one highway, so if you hit one, with a little extra driving, you can hit all three.
    Yes, I see that I'll have to drive a bit to get to the Goods. Of course, I'm sure the trails in south central Wisco. are fine, too, if not very lengthy.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I live in Hayward and it is around 4 hours from Madison. Summer traffic/constructions on I-94 can sometimes be a crapshoot.

I believe the CAMBA trails are up to around 100 miles of singletrack now and 300 miles of total trail if you include double-track, ski trails, etc. There is a little of everything with that much trail to ride but the majority is fast, flowing, and fun without a lot of technical.

I am making my first trip to Bend this summer with my wife for our anniversary. Any ride/food/visit recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't forget Copper Harbor in MI.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMcLovin View Post
    I am making my first trip to Bend this summer with my wife for our anniversary. Any ride/food/visit recommendations?
    Oh yeah! Check out the Wanoga trails (Funner and Tiddlywinks); the Northfork/Flagline Loop (which opens on 08/15 due to elk calving season); the Phil's Trailhead trails; Swampy Lakes/South Fork; Mrazek (a blast!); and the most excellent McKenzie River Trail (an hour drive away); and too many others to mention.

Visiting? Smith Rock State Park; hiking South Sister; camping at the Cascade lakes; exploring the most magical river in the world - The Metolius.

Food/drink? Deschutes Brewery; 10 Barrel Brewing; Bend Brewing; Worthy Brewing; Good Life Brewing, among many others ("brewing" or otherwise).

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Yes, I see that I'll have to drive a bit to get to the Goods. Of course, I'm sure the trails in south central Wisco. are fine, too, if not very lengthy.
    Actually, the trails in southern Wisconsin are great. I'm a CamRock fan myself.

Not sure when you were last in the Midwest, but the Midwest has a lot of fun mountain biking. Its never as tall or wild as the stuff out west, but its very fun and very flowly.