Mount Kato?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mount Kato?

mtbr member

Mount Kato?

How's the riding there? I checked out the website & it looks decent. I'm meeting up w/ some friends for a camping weekend in Waterville, MN. Are there any other trails in the area I should check out?

TIA

Witty McWitterson
    Mt Kato is about it. Not much happening in that neck 'o the woods. I've heard rumblings of the state park near there opening up the trails to MTB - but they're only rumors.

The riding at Kato is fun. Very SS freindly. Very flowing over all. No real steep grunters. The climbing is all moderate. I grew up in 'kato, and spent a LOT of time on those trails. If you poke around, there is some more stuff around there, of questionable legality, and borders on adventure riding as opposed to mtbing. Should be some atv trails 'round there too.

I guess 7 mile park (on 169 halfway between St. Peter and Mankato) should be included to, as that's where I really learned to ride - but the manager there uses lots of gravel and wood chips to 'maintain' the trails. If you hit it at the right time of year, its ok though.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have only rode Mt Kato once, but I was not overly impressed. My impression was they did the best with what they have to work with. You can tell its a small area though, as the trails zig zag back and for across the ski hills, and theres many places you are riding only a few feet from the portion of rail you were just on. I don't know that I would call it SS friendly though, you are going up and down the ski hills. You also have to pay $8 a day to ride there. I may break down and buy a summer pass this year, because its close to me, and its the best we've got with out driving a hour to the cities.

7 Mile is a lot less technical, it is mostly double track, but it is pretty fast and flowing. Much more SS friendly. There are a few trails there that have been made in the last couple years that are more difficult. Last summer they cut a new trail that connects #10 with the main trail. It is single track that follows a ridge line across and down the hill. You can tell its new though because its not marked and hasn't been ridden much. Theres also trail #9 which is very steep in parts and fun to check out. I havn't ridden there yet this year because of the crappy spring we've had, but I am planning to go out there tomorrow. The best part of 7 mile is its free!

Members who have read this thread: 0