MINNESOTA: freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MINNESOTA: freeride?

anyone out there in minnesota freeride anywhere? interested in getting something going? seems like alot of long travel bikes around where does everyone go? the u.p?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

freeride

alot of freeride /downhill at Lutsen mtn. ski area
    lifts run on weekends.

mtbr member
    I have been to lutsen many times, been pretty disappointed the last few, they seem not to care about the bikers, poor trail maintence lack of new trails same old stuff, bikes are advancing now so the trails you thought were challenging on your hardtail are smooth on your dual sus. rig!! they also said they were going to have the bull lift going a few times last year drove all the way up there for them to tell me there were not enough riders to open it, if they would just build some new stuff and advertize a little more they would get more business!! I hope spirit in duluth does something this year, i have heard rumors....

mtbr member
    Bogmonster,

Get in touch with "buck" on the MORC (minnesota off road cyclists) message board.

www.morcmtb.org

He and a few others are getting things going in minnesota.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hahaha, TML...is that you??? Yeah man there aren't many places to ride in MN that involve DH bikes...Tell me where ya live and I can give ya the hook up...I know FRers all over the state! Glad to see some interest...like TML says(if that is him?) join MORC we have 2 very enticing things in the works we need all the FRers/DHers to back it up to make it a sucess!!!

I am the one working with Spirit...Another guy, Tim Wegner the S. MN IMBA Rep, is working with Steeple Chase Ski Area as well. That will be happening this summer with a DH and DS course...I'm workin hard to get the FR stuff rollin too, nice thing is I live 10 minutes from steeple Chase so will be hugely involved there this summer! Keep the questions comin!
    Thanks
    L8R
    Buck

mtbr member
    Yup, It's me! I'm Maple on every other board I visit, MMBA, Mtbr, DirtRag, ESRI, etc. . .
    I've thought about changing the Morc one but may as well just leave well enough alone.

Keep up the good work Buck. Tim's endeavor down at Steeplechase should be a great project. I hope it all works out.

Later,
    --Troy

mtbr member

sounds great!!

I am a morc member and lurk occaisonally in the forums on the site but nothing ever really seems to get posted about expanding our horizons on the technical side of riding.I ride a 6" travel trail bike along with a group of 8 other morc members with long travel bikes, we have helped cut trail at elk river, monticello, theo, and lebanon hills. Now we are spoiled with the great trail at lebanon all the others seem so easy and unchallenging. I think it must be the progression in bike technology but i am just waitng to find a trail with bigger and better obstacles, some drops would be nice as well!! I would like to go to a place to develop better skills to progress to higher levels of technical riding, we seem to be stuck in a rut of the same old thing..The projects at spirit and steeple are very welcomed and long over do!! My group is ready and anxious to help out in any way we can to get some advanced riding in these parts!! I just gotta think how many bikes eriks sells like, enduro's. hecklers. blurs, big hits and so on that never get used to their full potential!! bombing down a rock face at spirit with a view of the lake just before a log ride then a 3' drop sound pretty good to me!! dont get me wrong, i think we have a great trai system here i the cities and a great bike culture as well, and alot of hard working members that made it all possible, but i believe we need to catch up to technology!! the new log crossing over the big tree is a great example of throwing some challenge into the ride, how about doing the same in about 10 more places, or ride the length of the log instead!! anyways ready to start working on new projects so give us an area to unleash!!! by the way lutsen SUCKS!!! it seems they dont give a damn about the bikers and have had very poor service the last 5 times i was there, including lifts not running when they were supposed to!!!!! come on spirit!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bogmonster
    I am a morc member and lurk occaisonally in the forums on the site but nothing ever really seems to get posted about expanding our horizons on the technical side of riding.I ride a 6" travel trail bike along with a group of 8 other morc members with long travel bikes, we have helped cut trail at elk river, monticello, theo, and lebanon hills. Now we are spoiled with the great trail at lebanon all the others seem so easy and unchallenging. I think it must be the progression in bike technology but i am just waitng to find a trail with bigger and better obstacles, some drops would be nice as well!! I would like to go to a place to develop better skills to progress to higher levels of technical riding, we seem to be stuck in a rut of the same old thing..The projects at spirit and steeple are very welcomed and long over do!! My group is ready and anxious to help out in any way we can to get some advanced riding in these parts!! I just gotta think how many bikes eriks sells like, enduro's. hecklers. blurs, big hits and so on that never get used to their full potential!! bombing down a rock face at spirit with a view of the lake just before a log ride then a 3' drop sound pretty good to me!! dont get me wrong, i think we have a great trai system here i the cities and a great bike culture as well, and alot of hard working members that made it all possible, but i believe we need to catch up to technology!! the new log crossing over the big tree is a great example of throwing some challenge into the ride, how about doing the same in about 10 more places, or ride the length of the log instead!! anyways ready to start working on new projects so give us an area to unleash!!! by the way lutsen SUCKS!!! it seems they dont give a damn about the bikers and have had very poor service the last 5 times i was there, including lifts not running when they were supposed to!!!!! come on spirit!!!

Bogmonster,
    Please PM me with your info, One of things that needs to be done is get people organized for these projects, I am building a e-mail list of FR./DH riders so I can send out info as I get it/develops...I'm way beyond log rides to 3' drops...One of the trails I have been asking to build at Spirit will start with a 3' drop then right off to a 12-14' drop the trail I envision is pretty nutty and for the most part all natural that is the nice thing about spirit...tons and tons of rock!!! Once I get back to Duluth I have another meeting to get everything on paper then hopefully this spring I can begin to mark and map trails...That is where you guys come in, as the volunteers to make these trails a reality! I'll also be building at steeple chase but that is more up to Tim then me, it is his project he started it, but since I so close I can hopefully get some lee way and input on what they are building, but again without FR/DHers backing this up it won't fly!!! So start spreadin the word!!!

Thanks for the input. All is being read and considered!!!
    L8R
    Buck