Milwaukee wheel builder?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Milwaukee wheel builder?

Does anyone have any recommendations on wheel builders in the greater Milwaukee area?

I have gotten two quotes and they are so far apart Im not sure if one is overpriced or the other is inferior. $130 vs $30

Thanks

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    $30 sounds like a few spokes replaced and everything properly tensioned. $130 sounds like you have a hub and rims, and are having all new spokes laced. Wheel and sprocket Delafield has a good wheel builder. I would also trust Bens, Emory's, Coast In bikes, and i am sure there are many other good options.

OMZ
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think $40-$60 per wheel in labor and $2 per spoke (DT Champions) is pretty standard for most reputable shops in the U.S.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Can't say enough good things about Ben's. I've had three wheelsets (2 mtn, 1 road) built by them in the past two years and they've all been awesome. Quick service, very minimal re-tension/truing over that time, etc. I live west of Madison if that tells you anything in regards to how much I trust Ben's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson View Post
    $30 sounds like a few spokes replaced and everything properly tensioned. $130 sounds like you have a hub and rims, and are having all new spokes laced. Wheel and sprocket Delafield has a good wheel builder. I would also trust Bens, Emory's, Coast In bikes, and i am sure there are many other good options.
    I made it a point to ask a second time about what was included that at price and they confirmed $30 for entire build and they would have to send it out to be done. But at the same time I got the feeling they just really wanted to move onto the next customer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkamaniac View Post
    Can't say enough good things about Ben's. I've had three wheelsets (2 mtn, 1 road) built by them in the past two years and they've all been awesome. Quick service, very minimal re-tension/truing over that time, etc. I live west of Madison if that tells you anything in regards to how much I trust Ben's.
    Perfect, I will be heading over this weekend. Thanks