milwaukee riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

milwaukee riding

hey guys, going to be in town next week and need some help finding some trails to ride out there and a MTB rental shop. any recommendations?

i've seen the rock / alpha trails, but does it require shuttling to the top? can some of the blue / black lines in the rock be ridden by biking back up?

also read about the milwaukee river trails, but not too much info on that. can someone tell me a little more

and if anyone is free, i will be out there riding during the day either on thurs or fri, april 28/29

thanks

Eminent Goofball
    sinfony78,

I would avoid the Milwaukee River trails; they're not officially open to riding and there are active negotiations happening to gain permanent access.

Alpha / The Rock is all bikeable, but most of the downhill stuff is now closed. You can still ride a nice cross-country loop from Whitnall Park.
    Park your car here: https://goo.gl/maps/2WRRcG2AgZB2
    Trail head can be found here: https://goo.gl/maps/dUhgezvjK2P2

If you're willing to get further out of town, there are some more options, too. The John Muir Trails and Emma Carlins are excellent, and there's a connector trail that links them. You can easily put 30 miles of singletrack together without re-tracing your steps.

~ Chris

Shore Line Cycle World
    Apr 2016
    There is a lot of different kind of riding to be had here. What kind of trails are you wanting to ride?

Fast and flat single track,
    Put in some miles,
    Technical single track with climbing,
    Lots of climbing,
    Bike park,
    Bike park with climbing to the top?

Happy to help point you in the right direction.

James
    Shore Line Cycle World
    Shore Line Cycle World

mtbr member
    Also let us know where you're staying.

If you're a little west of Downtown you can ride Hoyt Park and Oak Hill and the connector and get about a 15 mile loop:

Trails | Metro Mountain Bikers

Though I'm not sure where you'd rent a bike. I can post a gps track that lays that out.

If you wanted to make a day of it I'd also recommend John Muir / Emma Carlin and connector, they have a bike rental nearby though it's 45 minutes from Downtown. It really is 30 miles with no retrace both full loops and connectors, and it's all very good (and open right now).

Another option is Minooka park in Waukesha, which is maybe 7 miles but again not sure about bike rental.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i'm going to making a day trip from chicago, so not staying anywhere...hard time finding a rental and some trails out there, but i'm there for 5 days, can't go that long without jumping on a bike

JMShoreline - i've got a 160mm travel as my daily, and i'm comfortable riding anything, but i'd prefer the tech stuff. i can do the bike park, too

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i may look into john muir, if there's a bike shop nearby i can rent there
    do you know the name of it?
    since i'm driving in from chicago, it won't be a problem having it be far from downtown milwaukee

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Backyard bikes in LA Grange is the place that rents. They are a couple miles south of the trailhead. I have heard good things about them, but have never visited them. Iirc, u can check out what they have on their rental fleet online: I considered renting from them before I got a fat bike a couple years ago.

Typed on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you can get there rent a bike from backyard in lagrange and do john muir. I've never rented there but those who have seem happy enough. Parking and trail pass are I think another 8 and 5 bucks, though I'm not sure I do annual and am a resident. You can ride in from Backyard and save the parking at least.