Milaca City Trails R.I.P.- Mtbr.com
    bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Milaca City Trails R.I.P.

I had not tried the trails in Milaca until today. I had read the reviews shortly after moving to MN last spring, but all warned of it being a mudfest when wet. Well it was a wet spring, but fast forward, it certainly has dried out within the last 6 weeks. I saw over at MORC that the trails were mowed, dry, and ready to ride. So since I only had a short time to ride today, I thought I would give them a try rather than go down to Hillside. Both are about the same distance for me. What I quickly noticed was the lack of traffic on these trails. A lot of riding on grass, not dirt. Did Hillside show up after Milaca? I know that Cuyuna just opened this year. I imagine with the choice of Hillside close and Cuyuna just another hour up the road, there is not much draw now for these trails. Kind of fitting that the trail head is next to the cemetery.
    R.I.P.

I will go to Hillside when time is a factor, and if I have the time, I am heading up the highway to Cuyuna. Though here are the thumbs up I can give to the trail system in Milaca.

It was like being on my first off road bicycle, a Diamondback in 1982 riding through "witches woods" in the neighborhood. Just felt like I was in someone's back yard with all that grass.

It was peaceful. I saw no one out there.
    Other than that, I will pass on that again.

One question, is that bog monster trail for real.
    I saw a sign with an arrow pointing right, saying bog monster trail. The trail went out into some swamp with tall grass. I rode about 30 feet, and decided the muck ride wasn't for me. Is it a fatbike trail? Did I miss a good trail by turning around to early?

It doesn't matter, I am not going back.
    R.I.P.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Milaca definitely is an older trail. It was one of the 3 trails that BLAST made back in the day. BLAST was the first mountain bike trail building group in the Twin Cities. They first built Camp Manitou in Monticello, then Milaca, and then Hillside. BLAST really got the mountain bike advocacy thing going, but they were building in a time when sustainable trail design was not the norm yet. Back in the day when singletrack was hard to come by, all three trails were used a lot. MORC was established and many new trails closer inside the metro were built over the past 12 years. The new sustainable design and a larger, better funded, and better organized group really made for some great trails and the maintenance plan to keep up with the trails. It is hard to drive to Milaca when there was a better riding experience closer to home. Throw in the fact that wet times really closed down a large section of Milaca, less people bother riding there. Now with Cuyuna up the road, we all pass right by Milaca and don't even think of it. Right now Milaca and Monti are still being maintained, but don't see the riders they should. Hillside is still in great shape thanks to a great group of people taking care of that. Also, the Bog Monster has been closed the past two summers for logging which explains the weeds. It is still closed.

Most metro trails you ride and enjoy have opened since Milaca was built and their proximity to the metro population and along with the quality of the riding experience really has drawn away the riders.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the information. It isn't a bad area for riding, just that other places are much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhc View Post
    Thanks for the information. It isn't a bad area for riding, just that other places are much better.
    Yeah, same thing with me. I am way too close to all of the south metro trails to have time to go to Milaca. If I'm driving that far, I'm not stopping until Cuyuna.