Manitowish Waters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Manitowish Waters

I'm new to both Wisconsin and mountain biking, and thus far have really only ridden at Nine Mile. I'll be up in Manitowish Waters most of next week and am wondering where I can hit that's nearby that will be cool for a few hours for a relative beginner (I can handle everything at Nine Mile, but not super fast on all of it). I've got some family commitments, so I can't really drive too far or take off for days at a time. Thanks a ton, guys.

mtbr member
    Not sure how much is within a short distance of Manitowish Waters. We drive through there when headed up to our place near Lake Superior. I've heard there are trails over near Eagle River, as well as some down near Rhinelander (I think). Those are probably your closest. I rode Wolverine Nordic's trails over the 4th weekend, but that's east of Ironwood and probably more than 1hr each way. I've found that the trails in the northwoods are hard to find...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    You will be near Raven Trails, and passing near Underdown, Washburn Trails and Smokin' Spoke on your way through. You can't go wrong. Check out: http://www.fattireguides.com/trails/trailLocator.cfm for more information and locations.

Bike Now, Beer Later
    I am certainly uncertain, at least I'm pretty sure I am.

He be a moose too.
    The Raven Trail are very, very good. I consider those my home trails, even though I'm not living close full time right now. I think these trails are as good as anything in the state, IMHO of course.

The other one to consider is the Escanaba Trails that are listed in the bike and board links (although the directions are not good for that link). They are a lot of fun too and quite close to Manitowish Waters. Fun but you won't be overwhelmed as a noob.

aka bOb
    Hey Kurto I am up by Manitowish Waters this week if you want to hook up and go down to Raven or Escanaba trails. July 11Th-15TH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Hey Kurto I am up by Manitowish Waters this week if you want to hook up and go down to Raven or Escanaba trails. July 11Th-15TH.
    Thanks, but I'm not going to be up there until next week. Also, thanks to everybody for the tips. I'll try to check some of that stuff out.

aka bOb
    I did the Raven trails today and had a very good time. Could be a great trail system if they used a few signs.