Madison, WI and surrounding area bike scene?- Mtbr.com
    ride it like you stole it

New question here. Madison, WI and surrounding area bike scene?

With a potential move to the Madison, Wisconsin area on the horizon I am interested in getting current residents opinions about the mountain bike scene here. *Note: I will most likely be living outside Madison, being closest to the Eastside.

-Whats the vibe like?
    -Good local crew/groups to join or hang out with?
    -Mostly a XC scene or is there some AM/freeride?
    -Sweet trails?

Just wondering about the area so any other info that you think may be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sweep the leg!
    If you're in town come on by...

Capital Off Road Pathfinders February meeting 2/28
    CORP Meeting Announcement

When: 2/28/2008

Time: 7pm

Where: Ale Asylum www.aleasylum.com

What: A good reason to come out for a few brews and help hash out CORPS 2008 plans. We will be discussing new trail at Cam-Rock, IMBA is coming, potential trail at Blue Mound, "Fun/Event" ride series, 12 Hours of Blue Mound, and everything else CORP has on the table for 2008.

****Ale Asylum has offered CORP a meeting night special of $1 off beers and $2 off pitcher****

Never been to one of our meetings before....not a problem! Stop by, introduce yourself, and have a few drinks.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TWilliams42
    With a potential move to the Madison, Wisconsin area on the horizon I am interested in getting current residents opinions about the mountain bike scene here. *Note: I will most likely be living outside Madison, being closest to the Eastside.

-Whats the vibe like?
    -Good local crew/groups to join or hang out with?
    -Mostly a XC scene or is there some AM/freeride?
    -Sweet trails?

Just wondering about the area so any other info that you think may be helpful would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
    CP's response is a good, low-key, but very active trail-building/maintaining group for Dane County. Come on by if you're in town.

To answer some of your other questions...

Sweet trails aren't really in the city of Madison, but there are a number of places to ride in the surrounding area...
    Blue Mound State Park
    Kettle Moraine State Forest
    Cam-Rock in Cambridge-Rockton
    Quarry Ridge in Fitchburg
    Lots of other riding areas within a 2-3 hours drive of the Madison area.

It's mostly XC, but the Freeride potential is growing at Blue Mound and Quarry Ridge.

It's a pretty bike-friendly city.

EDIT: I see you're coming from LaCrosse? It's not much different down here than it is up there. It's harder to ride to the trails in Madison than it is to get to HPT, but it's pretty good.

mtbr member

ride from home???

So is that to say that there really isn't a place in or around town where you could potentially ride from home, hit some dirt and head home in a reasonable amount of time? (2-3 hour, after work type ride )

I'm also likely relocating to the Madison area soon. Does any one have info on neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance for the info...

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    So is that to say that there really isn't a place in or around town where you could potentially ride from home, hit some dirt and head home in a reasonable amount of time? (2-3 hour, after work type ride )

I'm also likely relocating to the Madison area soon. Does any one have info on neighborhoods?

Thanks in advance for the info...

Well yes. There's the Quarry Ridge loop. I've ridden my SS over and back and done a few laps but I live on the east sided. You could easily hit CamRock or Blue Mounds in a 2-3hr window, but that would involve driving. As for neighborhoods, uhh, what do you mean?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

One Could Probably Do Blue Mounds From The West Side

~hour there, ~hour in the dirt, ~hour back

I rode out there a few times over the summer.
    And I must say the trails are challenging on 700x23 tires at 125psi

mtbr member

Quarry Ridge, good to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Well yes. There's the Quarry Ridge loop. I've ridden my SS over and back and done a few laps but I live on the east sided. You could easily hit CamRock or Blue Mounds in a 2-3hr window, but that would involve driving. As for neighborhoods, uhh, what do you mean?
    I'll have to look into that...

Neighborhoods, sorry I meant to ask about different parts of town? You said you live on the East side. What's that like? My wife and I generally prefer older neighborhoods where restaurants, bike shops, entertainment, music etc is pretty accessible on foot or bike? Just trying to get the scoop on the Madison scene. Thanks again.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Fly
    I'll have to look into that...

Neighborhoods, sorry I meant to ask about different parts of town? You said you live on the East side. What's that like? My wife and I generally prefer older neighborhoods where restaurants, bike shops, entertainment, music etc is pretty accessible on foot or bike? Just trying to get the scoop on the Madison scene. Thanks again.
    Well, from my perspective, Madison is a small town behaving like a city. "Older" neighborhoods is relative. Certain neighborhoods popped up during different periods and have different things to offer. A star on the image below marks the neighborhood where I live, the Starkweather Creek neighborhood. Unlike other cities, Seattle or Dallas for example, we really don't have what I think you're describing. I think what your describing is a smaller city within a city. Unless you live downtown, you won't find that.

http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/neighbor...e/sectors.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

i hear ya...

[QUOTE=Caffeine Powered]Well, from my perspective, Madison is a small town behaving like a city. "Older" neighborhoods is relative. Certain neighborhoods popped up during different periods and have different things to offer. A star on the image below marks the neighborhood where I live, the Starkweather Creek neighborhood. Unlike other cities, Seattle or Dallas for example, we really don't have what I think you're describing. I think what your describing is a smaller city within a city. Unless you live downtown, you won't find that.

That's cool, thanks for pulling up that map. I hear what you're saying. I used to live in Salt Lake City and my neighborhood had everything you could want, great restaurants, good bike shops, entertainment and even super accessible and good singletrack! The only reason to leave that little city within the city was to go skiing, which was 30 minutes away. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll keep searching and hopefully will be out there to check things out in the next few weeks...

Members who have read this thread: 0