Madison. No, not the place in Ohio with the bridges.- Mtbr.com
    MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Madison. No, not the place in Ohio with the bridges.

I might be moving from Athens, Ohio- think 300 vertical foot hills- to Madison in the next month, is there anything comparable to that near the city? What about the Velodrome in Kenosha? Cross racing?
    Mike

mtbr member
    theres a pretty big xc scene with blue mounds and quarry ridge

mtbr member
    I don't know about overall vertical for a single hill, but there are plenty of hills west of Madison out in the Mt. Horeb/Cross Plains/Blue Mound/Mazomanie area. The Horribly Hilly Hundreds take place out in this area every Father's Day weekend.

• WORS is the largest state mountain bike points series in the nation.

• WEMS caters to the endurance crowd with a more grass roots feel.

• 24 Hours of 9 Mile in Wausau is the National Champ race for 24 hour racing again for 2008.

• There is a sizeable cross series in the fall...rumor has it that the Angell Park Speedway Race in Sun Prairie is getting the UCI nod for 2008.

• Ironman Wisconsin

• Chequamegon Fat Tire Fest

• Great mountain biking within 3 hours of Madison

• Blue Mound State Park

• John Muir Trails at Kettle Moraine State Forest

• Levis-Trow near Hatfiel.

• 9 Mile Forest in Wausau

• Human Powered Trails in La Crosse

• LaCrosse also has some monster (for the midwest) road climbs

www.wors.org
    www.wemseries.com
    www.madcross.org
    www.horriblyhilly.com
    www.cheqfattire.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You can't go wrong with any of the above...Check out CORP (Capital Off Road Pathfinders) - they manage the trails in Dane County, and it is a great way to meet people who enjoy biking (and the occassional beer)!

mtbr member

Hilly enough?

Quote Originally Posted by MLH
    I might be moving from Athens, Ohio- think 300 vertical foot hills- to Madison in the next month, is there anything comparable to that near the city? What about the Velodrome in Kenosha? Cross racing?
    Mike
    Link to CORP:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/corp_madison/

Link to reviews of trails in Wisconsin:

http://www.fattireguides.com/

The 4.5 mile Over Lode trail at Blue Mound State Park has 1000 ft of vertical (but no 300' individual climbs)

The Horribly Hilly Hundred (starts from Blue Mound) road bike event has 10,000' of vertical. There aren't many huge hills but they add up.

http://www.silentsports.net/features..._hundreds.html

The west end of Dane County is well regarded by road bikers. I don't bother riding there because there are great rides starting at my door just to the south of Madison. I like the ride to Monroe in Green County on Highway N, but I have to get into shape before I try it again.

That being said, there is a shortage of low traffic roads connecting the city to the countryside.

Sorry I don't know anything about 'cross racing.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As to the velodrome in Kenosha. First off, it's about 2 hours drive from Madison, so it's not like it's right in the area. Technically, I believe the velodrome is not open to the public (I recall reading the sign by the gate at some point in the last year or so), but the gate is frequently open (it may always be open, I don't go by there that often) and the "public" does tend to go in there and play around (it's located in a city park). I've been in there a few times, and it is kind of cool for about 10 minutes but after that you're just riding around in a circle with big banked turns.

I know there is some cross racing going on in the Wisconsin because I recently ran into a guy training for a cross race, but I don't know where to get more info on it. I'm sure if you check with a madison area bike club, they will probably be able to hook you up.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Sweep the leg!
    To get optimal weather, cross season is in the late fall/early winter.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Great Road Biking as Well in and Around Madison...

If you want to get on a road bike in Madison, I would recommend driving 20 minutes to somewhere out of the city (Cross Plains, Mt. Horeb, Mazomanie, Spring Green) - if you do, you will be able to find less traveled roads, and beautiful landscape.

mtbr member
    Walt,
    Where are you riding from? N is a fun road, but I've never even thought about riding a bicycle on it... The last time I rode my road bike in Green County I only went 8 miles and was exhausted. I guess that's what comes from moving down to suburbia.

No longer 26
    I think our piles of snow are that high right now....
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I think our piles of snow are that high right now....
    That gives me an idea...
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    That gives me an idea...
    Do I dare ask?

I sometimes have a 8' x 10" fun box in my backyard. Wish I was a better snowboarder so I could use it to its full potential.

Greg
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member

Quinzee

We did this last weekend up north (near Spooner). They don't have as much snow up there are we do down here either...

Don't worry, we didn't sleep inside with the grill burning. Mike just wanted to warm up the inside a little bit, and afterwards, it smelled like brats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

McFarland

Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn
    Walt,
    Where are you riding from? N is a fun road, but I've never even thought about riding a bicycle on it... The last time I rode my road bike in Green County I only went 8 miles and was exhausted. I guess that's what comes from moving down to suburbia.
    I try to ride at least once a year from my home in McFarland to Monroe where my parents live. Then back again if I'm feeling strong. It's about 100 miles round trip. I can't remember most of the connecting roads, but I go through Oregon on Edgewood, take Hwy D for about 2 miles, then Sun Valley Road to Paoli, and whatever road goes straight west to Observatory Hill (?), then Hwy A to Eric Road (I think) up to the highway (69?) and back down on Argue Road. Then I think it's Airport Road to New Glarus Woods and I pick N up just on the other side of it.

Hwy N is a roller coaster ride in a car, and a pretty tough ride on a bike. I'd like to know the vertical on that one!

Walt

mtbr member
    If I think of it, I'll try to drive it with a GPS the next time I up that way (my parents live outside of Monticello). Those hills are killers on a bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0