Madison bike shops- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

Madison bike shops

Since I'll be moving there soon, I thought I'd get the low down.

My primary concern is: Which shop has the most knowledgable wrenches? If I want something completely obscure to be done, outside of my (or most peoples) repair knowledge, who can fix it?

Also, who would you recommend for great selection? For great customer service?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    There are a few shops here, Trek Store, Erik's, REI, are the corporate entities. Trail This just opened right off the belt line about a year ago. They relocated from Utah and the tech has over 20 years wrenching. They have a good selection and customer service. I just purchased two Kona bikes from them and they were set up great out of the shop. I haven't been overly impressed with Erik's customer service and just avoid the Trek store in general as it is a trial location for their corporate offices. Budget Bicycle Center has been around a long time and seem capable, just spread out between three stores. Just kind of depends where in Madison you will be moving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Some good shops and can't be disputed as friends of MTB alphabetically: Budget (Budget, Machinery Row, Motorless Motion), Trail This, and Revolution.

Those shops are either ones who do fundraising for the the CORP IMBA chapter and/or are paid IMBA retailer members. There may be more.

Not exactly Madison but Cam Rock Cafe does repair and rents bikes. They're just about trail side A partner in that business is the team leader for one of the biggest fundraiser events we do.

On REI, they may be corporate but a grant from REI helped build trail at Blue Mound State Park and bought a John Deere Gator we use to assist with trail work.

Again, there may be more but the ones mentioned here for sure help the sport and are good shops. I'd love to see the list grow because the limiting factors in this area are participation and income.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've lived in Madison for 2 yrs so take that for what it's worth.

Good wrenches? Trail This. Budget Bikes.

Good selection? Motorless Motion, Budget, and others

Good service? Haven't needed much, but Budget and Trek were both satisfactory.