Madison area bike shops- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Madison area bike shops

Hey all,

My first post here. I am currently a resident of St. Louis but have been trying to make a move further north to Madison (among other cities I have looked at). I have had the wonderful opportunity to visit Madison a couple times and have been really impressed with the city and its residents.

I have the possibility of employment at one of the shops in Madison (I will leave the name out in order to get good feedback). I had the opportunity to visit most of the shops in town my last time up and was particularly impressed with the shop I interviewed with. I was wondering how the shops stack up? Any favorites? Any shops to avoid? Any additional info people may have regarding shop is appreciated!

I am not concerned with the move to Madison in general as I have always liked the city and it is still close enough to home to make the drive from time to time to see family. Thanks ahead of time for the info. Just want to make sure I get as much information as possible before making a final decision on location.
    ~Nick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think they're all fine in their own ways, serve different niches, personalities, neighborhoods. Sure people can have favorites but I visit and work with all of them via club and trail crew work and I'm glad we have several.

Are you the guy who posted on TDPRI about a Madison move?

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yup that is me! Funny seeing you here as well. Still haven't made up my mind but am strongly leaning towards taking the move and job, just want to make sure the company is a quality one before doing so.
    ~Nick

mtbr member
    I like budget on regent street, but thats the only one ive done major business in. Others I have just browsed around and bought minor items like tubes.

Witty McWitterson
    The only one I don't like is Cronometro. I've not had good interactions there. Snobby is to kind a word. All the others are fine enough though, each serving their own niche.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck at Machinery Row and Willies (West)

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    The only one I don't like is Cronometro.
    It's the only shop in Madison to whom I say, "No way."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    The only one I don't like is Cronometro. I've not had good interactions there. Snobby is to kind a word. All the others are fine enough though, each serving their own niche.
    I should correct my post. I have not been in that shop for about 5 years. They were unkind when I was last there to drop off our club brochures. It's fine if one is not into biking on dirt but being a jerk to somebody you know is a volunteer is not nice. I hope they have changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm a big fan of the Erik's and Willies on the west side.

On a couple occasions, I felt excessive pressure from sales staff at Machinery Row who tried to sell me bikes I wasn't shopping for, and haven't been back. I have no experience with their service department.

He be a moose too.
    I am looking for a bike mechanic in Madison named Mark. I don't want to use his last name so as not to splash his name about in a public forum.

He used in Green bay and most recently worked at the east side Trek store. I contacted the shop and they told me nothing. No luck on phone or email. Mark is a big guy, 220 lbs, plenty of tattoos including a fat chance tattoo and listens to some awesomely bad headbanger music. He is pretty distinctive. If anyone knows where he went, could you send me a PM?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am originally from the Madison area, and hands down I prefer Atkins Bike Shop just outside of Madison (in Verona). Very low key, and the owner is probably one of the most experienced wrenches around.

He be a moose too.
    Ditto on Atkins. He was the shop I used when I lived there. Dan Atkins is very helpful and will go out of his way to take care of you.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    +2 on Atkins Bicycle Shoppe

Members who have read this thread: 0