Lutesn 99er?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lutesn 99er?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Lutesn 99er?

Has anyone done this? Just seeing if anyone did it last year and has any experience on the course. I couldn't find a map anywhere.

I didn't even hear about it until late in the year last year and was curious about the layout. It would be a blast to ride Lutsen again and I heard they had a group putting in more singletrack in the area....schwing!

Life Time Fitness - Lutsen 99er

PUG U!!!
    Sadly this isn't run or have anything to do Lutsen mountain.
    The new management at Lutsen seems to think biking is a BIG liability.
    A very sore subject with us northern riders, along with the rest of the states riders!!
    IMO anything run by LT I'll stay away from!!

Check out "My Rusty Ride" being held at Cuyuna. I'm at work otherwise I'd post up the link. They also have a FB page.
    Along with other things being planned for Cuyuna.
    Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by parkgesicht View Post
    Has anyone done this? Just seeing if anyone did it last year and has any experience on the course. I couldn't find a map anywhere.

I didn't even hear about it until late in the year last year and was curious about the layout. It would be a blast to ride Lutsen again and I heard they had a group putting in more singletrack in the area....schwing!

Life Time Fitness - Lutsen 99er
    The Lutsen 99 is primarily on two track or forest roads with a tiny bit of singletrack. The race is staged out of Lutsen, so some of it is on Lutsen land. There are groups trying to build singletrack in the Tofte area (Lutsen) and Grand Marais area. These trails would not be in Lutsen, but on National Forest land up there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I did the 39er, the start is the same with 99er. For last year there was a long asphalt ride and climb and then mainly gravel roads. This year they mentioned of less asphalt so the organizers (Lifetime) may have mapped a different route could be for both 39er and 99er. It was a good race, not as crowded as fat tire 40 in Chequamegon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks nonoy_d.

Thats what I had heard as well about the changes to the course. There are going to be some new singletrack sections added in that the local trail groups had been working on last year apparently. For a Leadville/Chequamegon type race I though that it would be a really neat venue and probably have some great views and scenery. I had been thinking about bringing the family up to do the 39er on Saturday and then hit some different trails on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by parkgesicht View Post
    Thanks nonoy_d.

Thats what I had heard as well about the changes to the course. There are going to be some new singletrack sections added in that the local trail groups had been working on last year apparently. For a Leadville/Chequamegon type race I though that it would be a really neat venue and probably have some great views and scenery. I had been thinking about bringing the family up to do the 39er on Saturday and then hit some different trails on Sunday.
    I hear they are adding a 1-1.5 miles of singletrack this year. Not much, but maybe more in future years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Could you do the 99er on a cross bike? It seems like most of the course is on gravel fire roads. I think a person would be faster overall riding a cross bike on fire roads instead of having to ride a mtn bike over the same distance. Do the small secitons of single track really warrant mtn bike for the full race?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Apparently from what I gather by talking to a few people and seeing the results from last year a few brave souls did ride cross bikes. But from the consensus...they won't be riding cross bikes this year. The trails are pretty open, but its not like gravel roads that you can just blaze, its rutty, muddy, and techy in areas. This year has a good chunk of singletrack that a local group has been adding. And apparently in future years they're going to incorporate more and more of the singletrack that is being built in the area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i havent done it. I want to do it sometime in the future thats for sure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was going to do it but I got into another race on the same day and I was looking at that other races roster and there are only letting 250people race and the two races arn't that far from each other.

I think it's sad that they did not work thing out so that we could have done both races. Maybe next year Mamasita!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you have not been to north shore of MN to experience the scenery, then the mountain bike race will give you that chance. Last year as we made the first monster climb, I looked over to my left in a low lying lake to see a huge moose belly deep amongst the lilly pads and morning dew. Awesome. The course was well marked and provided a mixed bag for racers of the 99er. Sure, plenty of fireroads but the single track and bog sections kept you honest. The climbs and VO2 efforts along with trenching through hip high bogs keeps the skills of the field level. Personally, leave your CX bike home. The after party was also worth it with Billy Johnson playing until the end. The schwag and free beer tickets made for a perfect mtb scene at Lutsen resort without the altitude. I, along with some of MN's best racers, will be there this year for the AX!

nOOb
    May 2008
    I'm in for 99, it looks like a suffer-fest and that's my thing. Attendance will be up this year, which sux, but what can you do?
    I actually like the percentage of singletrack being on the low side for an endurance event like this. It keeps the jams to a minimum, and the speeds higher. There are plenty of great singletrack races in the region for the purists. This type of race is for those who seek to test themselves physically and mentally from the effort.

Members who have read this thread: 1