looking for a riding partner/guide in n. wisconsin and u.p. 6/22-6/27- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. looking for a riding partner/guide in n. wisconsin and u.p. 6/22-6/27

i'll be staying in conover, wi, on our yearly family vacation. but this will be my first year really getting out and riding. so i'd like to take a couple day trips or half day trips, whatever. i'm 21 and i like techy fast singletrack. i ride a 4" travel FS. from what i've read i'd like to try razorback ridge, marquette mountain(i'd like to get some downhill action) and the nicolet forest by anvil lake...and whatever else you'd like or recommend.

so let me know if you'd be willing to help out a FIB and we can meet up somewhere.

thanks in advance,
    Jayme
    Last edited by superford4x4; 06-06-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    "Life begins where the road ends..." -not sure
    ...and prefferably starts going downhill :)

mtbr member
    or anyone know of another good place to look?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Be sure to check out the trail review section on the mtbr site. Also check out this website: http://lamboriders.org/. I would stay away from Razorback. It is my understanding that most of the trails at Razorback do not exist any more due to logging. Escanaba Lake Trails are fun, but not very challenging. If you are willing to make a 45 minute drive I would check out the Raven trails in Woodruff. They have done some amazing work on these trails the past few years and are truly fun to ride. There is plenty of singletrack trails along with some fun climbs and descents. The local riders are also building a skills course which also looks fun. Check it out, trust me you won't regret it!

mtbr member
    thanks...i probly wouldn't have found the lambo riders. i hope part of that skills coarse is rideable. looks like fun

mtbr member
    For more technical oriented trails I’d suggest traveling a tad further north into da UP. Check out MI tech, Maasto, Churning Rapids at Hancock and Houghton MI. Swedetown at Calumet which are less technical but fun, just the same. At Copper Harbor are the peak of elevation and technical trails. We've posted photos of everything just mentioned.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    is there anyone that wants to meet up and show me around? i'd rather not ride alone...but i will!!

mtbr member
    Jayme, When will you be to Conover?? And I assume your referring to riding up here (Houghton, Hancock, Swedetown MI), if so we might be about to guide you around or at least find someone who can. Feel free to email us at arlyn (at) superiortandems.com
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    i will be heading up saturday morning staying through thursday or friday. i haven't really made any plans yet as to when and where ill go for sure. it depends on other plans and who want to ride. im not sure ill go up that far, but ill keep you in mind. thanks.

will you be at the season opener for marquette mountain?

mtbr member

Hit Razorback on the 21st...

Trails were pretty "raw," had to move two trees and portage around another but overall...had a damn good time. Nobody out there on the 21st in the AM other than the lady and I.

The bad: Not what it was in years past (logging rape) and the trails need some heavy traffic to get broken-in again. The good: Reasonably dry all around, some entertaining XC climbs and some speed sections for the taking, had the whole area all to ourselves it seemed (never saw another bike), a sweet post-ride flop in Muskelunge Lake and...hey...any day on the bike "up North" is a great day. Didn't get many good pics but...

mtbr member

Hit Razorback on the 21st...

DBL post
    Last edited by No Name; 06-23-2008 at 03:15 PM. Reason: insane double post ?

mtbr member
    well that trip was a bust. i broke my derailer hanger while putting my bike together upon arival and couldn't track one down. i tried and tried and i had one coming but it was stuck in the mail somewhere between wausa and eagle river...i could have drove there and back in 4 hours but as of this after noon it had not come in, so i decided to just go home.

thank god for fishing poles.lol

maybe next year.

Coors, the american beer.
    sorry i missed the thread .... im living in arbor vitae for the summer and would have been happy to show you the goods .... so far i been going to the UP every chance i get

edit: saw no names comment in another thread i started .... wasnt too impressed with razorback ... someone needs to go out there with a mower .... escanaba is awesome though
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member

New question here. when, where and how?

So Melt, when will we see you up riding with us? We're in Houghton.

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    sorry i missed the thread .... im living in arbor vitae for the summer and would have been happy to show you the goods .... so far i been going to the UP every chance i get

edit: saw no names comment in another thread i started .... wasnt too impressed with razorback ... someone needs to go out there with a mower .... escanaba is awesome though

well my off days are tuesdays, but apparently thats subject to change ... rode copper harbor and mit yesterday ... last week just rode mit

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I'll be in Presque Isle, WI 8/7-8/11 and looking to ride

Melt and arly,

I'll be in the WI north woods and looking for some good technical singletrack. Are either of you guys anywhere around there any rec's on where to go?
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Specialized Epic Expert Evo
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member

Good job! Keweenaw trails

We’re a tad further north in Houghton MI. If you’re interested in our area trails look at Michigan tech, Swedetown, (Calumet) and Copper Harbor trails. Let us know if you’ll be around.

Quote Originally Posted by baraant
    Melt and arly,

I'll be in the WI north woods and looking for some good technical singletrack. Are either of you guys anywhere around there any rec's on where to go?
    i live near minocqua ... my days off are now thursdays .... my faves so far are smoke n spoke near rhinelander and raven trail which is by clear lake off 47 east of woodruff. Let me know the dates youll be around, cause theres also nights that im off at 5 that we can go ride then hit up Heart II in arbor vitae afterwords.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    melt, Hey I'm heading up to Presque Isle on Wed afternoon and I'm thinking of going riding on Thursday weather and trails permitting. I'm sending you a pm.

pm replied ... like i said gotta ask the boss what the story is cause i think he needs us both here (work in a 2 man crew)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Cool no problem, I'm going to try that raven trail hopefully Thursday morning at around 9-10am. I'll be coming from the North going south on 51 then I plan to go east on 47 to woodruff road. There appear to be 2 places to park is either one better than the other? Can I get a WI trail pass there or do I need to get one ahead of time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey I forgot to ask is there a great amount, or any, poison oak or ivy in the area? Down here in IL if you get off the trail at all the poison ivy will get you.

havent run into any oak or ivy ... main things that suck are the skeeters and ticks ... anyways like i pmed you boss said no way in hell so have fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0