Looking for long trails in WI- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Looking for long trails in WI

WI has many trails for hikers like the Ice Age Trail and then there is the North Country trail that connects a number of states. You read about the west and the trails they have out there through the mountains etc.

This lead me to wonder what WI has. I know we have mountain bike trails like the kettles, crystral ridge, Blue Mound State Park etc but these are all loop trails. Are there any trails in WI that have some distance to them?

mtbr member

I need skills
    Jul 2004

how long of a distance?

Curious if you can define what distances you envision?

altazo
    I'd speculate he/she is after a multi-day point to point type trail, a la the Kokopelli trail that connects Fruita, Co. and Moab, Ut? Not sure much like that exists in the upper midwest, but I am psyched to ride the 19 or whatever miles of singletrack at Nicolet/Roche the next time I visit my father who just happens to live near the juncture of Hwy. 64 and Octonto Cty. T! I believe I can ride right from the house...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    mileage I'm open to. Looking for something more then just riding in circles in one general area. For example the ice age trail goes through the entire state. The North Country trail I think it's called connects, ND, MN, WI, and MI. Both of these you can walk for weeks if you had the time. Just wondering if anything like that is out there for biking. I will check the one link posted above.

I'm guessing if there is it would be more northern WI or western WI.

=========

Graphic of all the (rail-trail) stlye gravel bike trails and the trails you mentioned above Ice Age - NCT taken from the WI-DNR Site

altazo
    Maah Daah Hey trail in ND?

=========
    Centennial Trail in SD?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~

Graphic of all the (rail-trail) stlye gravel bike trails and the trails you mentioned above Ice Age - NCT taken from the WI-DNR Site

Ya I've ridden a lot of those since I mainly ride rails to trails but there is a difference in doing a limestone trail compared to a single track trail through the woods.

I should have been more clear with saying typical mountain bike trails not roads, or rails to trails.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    They've been working on linking longer stretches of single track up north of hayward but nothing that would go 100+ miles.

Maah Daah Hey in ND would be your best bet and has camping along the way if you're looking for that.

Members who have read this thread: 0