Long weekend trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Long weekend trip

From the Green Bay/Appleton area and looking to take a weekend trip somewhere to bike and camp.

I prefer fast and flowy more so than slow technical and I dislike climbs

Thins would have to be a location with camping off the beaten path as I'm not a big fan of the cramped campgrounds.

Where is everyone's recommendation? Would be nice to keep it within 5 hours or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For a high inventory of flowing trail IMBA ride centers come to mind because they have a fairly large inventory overall. You have a few not too far from your area.

https://www.imba.com/model-trails/ride-centers

For not liking to climb Spirit Mountain comes to mind. It might not be off the beaten path but you have camp sites and traill within each other's view. I'm not sure I'd spend a whole weekend at the ski area. If you arrive late in the day there's a twilight lift ticket that can give you a taste. A whole lot of the traverse project could be considered fast and flowing.

If you hate climbs and go to Duluth you can do Lester area with Lester River trail riding up. My wife prefers flowing trail but really liked Hawk Ridge with Amity and Lester trails in the same ride.

Keep Munising in mind if you consider Marquette. Landowski TrailWorx is wrapping up a second season of building there.

There's lots of flowing trail off of Benson Grade if you go to Marquette but I'm not aware of shuttles as a regular option.

On flowing, some of my associates consider Cayuna their top pick for keeping their wives and kids happy on the trails.

Cayuna probably wrecks your 5 hours or so where once you get to Eau Claire you have 4 lane highway to Duluth. Some stops on the right trip can add flow. I think of WinMan or 9 Mile. Combine Marquette, Houghton/Hancock and Copper Harbor.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Take a look at CAMBA trails by Hayward, WI. There are a lot of good trails there to ride. Tons of camping options.

Cuyuna Lakes was my first thought since it's easy riding, camping on site and an IMBA destination.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Welch Village in Red Wing MN just opened up lift service. They have 3 machine built flow trails that are all similar but have different sized rollers, table tops and steepness. Combine that with some of the sweet metro twin cities trails (we did Theo Wirth on our other day but they're all relatively flat and have decent flow) or the Wooly Trails in St Croix Falls and you have a nice weekend! Good camping near St Croix Falls and I'm sure other parts along the Mississippi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    WinMan Trails in Manitowish Waters, WI

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk