Levis Trow 100_What to expect?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Levis Trow 100_What to expect?

So I'm coming to Minneapolis from Southern Utah for some business meetings. I couldn't help but check the race calendar for an event to sample some of the local dirt. The Levis Trow 100 came up on the radar and it fit very well with what I'm doing this season.
    So what should I expect I've read a bit on cougers and other wildlife, we have that.
    But what's the corse like?
    Plus what about,
    Weather, Hot and humid? Or is it a ski resort type?
    Elevation, gain and starting elevation.
    Mud/Dirt,
    Rocks, Sharp?
    What kind of bike? 29SS HT or Specialized Epic are my choices.
    I saw the video on the website and it looks great.
    Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I don't know the specific area, but I doubt there are any dangerous animals. The only thing I'd expect you to find are bears, and they're not going to chase you down on your bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Weather, Hot and humid? :Yes to both depending on day.
    Elevation, gain and starting elevation.: From flat to all the way to the top of the mounds and back down.
    Mud/Dirt: Both depending on weather
    Rocks, Sharp?: Yes on rocks but not sharp
    What kind of bike? 29SS HT or Specialized Epic are my choices.: I'd take the Epic.

mtbr member
    The one's post is spot on. You would have a blast on either bike, I might choose the gears just because thats a lot of riding for a ss. You'll have fun which ever one you decide on. It's pretty buff so a hardtail would'nt be a bad choice.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I wouldn't sweat cougars (or bears, or wolves, or anything). I did almost run into a beaver on the trail up to Levis mound, though, so heads up.
    The weather can definitely be hot and muggy in July, but coming from Utah, I'm sure you can handle it. Odds are it'll be in the 80's.
    Elevation probably goes from around 1000' at the trailheads up to maybe 1600-1700' on the mound-top trails. Even if those aren't accurate elevations, the climbing never gets too bad. No 30 minute sustained climbs here in the midwest.
    Unless it rains a lot in the week leading up to the race, mud shouldn't be too much of an issue. Wheel-sucking sand is probably a bigger issue.
    And I agree with the suggestions to ride the Epic. I've ridden an SS 29er there, but I think 100 miles of that would take its toll.
    Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    It will be my first time there as well, thanks for the info.

Bear
    Did everybody forget to mention how much frickin' fun this course is!

Two years ago the first 2/3 were blazing fast ripping singletrack then the last 1/3 hit you over the head with, I think, three trips up and down the mound.

One of the best endurance courses in the state for sure.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

viva la v-brakes!
    I've only done the race there once, but I Found that the trail was very sandy in areas and there was a LOT of double track. The singletrack is good though. I did a lap on my SS there and some of the climbs are a little long, but doable. You'll have to get used to dodging trees... kind of like dodging prickly pear or yucca, but the trees can knock you on your ass.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Bear
    I'm hoping FishMan is thinking of a WORS race.

The WEMS course doesn't have much doubletrack....makeing 80/20 or a 75/25 split....if that. Plenty of singletrack based on the course map which is almost identical to the course used in 2008 when I raced there.

Check out www.lt100.org for a video of the trails and course map.
    [

mtbr member
    Good to know, thanks.
    - 2016 Trek Farley 7
    - 2015 Salsa Fargo
    - Norco Brian Leech Trials

viva la v-brakes!
    I think it was 2008 when I raced it too and it felt like at least 40% doubletrack/doublewide to me, maybe 50/50. But maybe I'm just being negative. I hate doubletrack, its where everyone passes me. Anyway, the singletrack there is a blast... this midwestern will be a big change of pace from S-UT.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Bear
    FishMan - was the course 25 miles long or 12.5 miles?

I think the old 25 mile course had a large amount of doubletrack. The 12.5 mile lap pretty much solved that problem. You must have ridden it in 2007 or earlier.

Either way it will be a fun race.....hope I can make it.
    [

mtbr member
    Even better, really looking forward to it.
    - 2016 Trek Farley 7
    - 2015 Salsa Fargo
    - Norco Brian Leech Trials

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

WI MTB Racing

The drag about all the mountain bike racing in Wisconsin is the amount of riding hard single track taken off and put onto easier passing double track to give the roadies an upperhand. Want to know what single track is offered in Wisconsin? Forgo the entry fees and put towards lodging and camping and food and ride the real trail systems.

Bear
    Steve O,

I think the WEMS series does a pretty good job hitting the goods.

Levis, Blue Mound, Pitchblack, Thunderdown are all nearly chock full of singletrack.

Cheq100.....more than enough singletrack.

The good races are out there....you just need to pick them carefully.

Bear
    [

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    Steve O,

I think the WEMS series does a pretty good job hitting the goods.

Levis, Blue Mound, Pitchblack, Thunderdown are all nearly chock full of singletrack.

Cheq100.....more than enough singletrack.

The good races are out there....you just need to pick them carefully.

Bear
    What's the scoop on the Thunderdown trails? I was planning on doing that WEMS race but now it's on my radar. How's the course. I'm not one of those roadies so I like as much tight, tough, single as possible. Also I'll be near there this weekend. Are the trails open to the public. Could I get a pre-ride in this weekend?

Bear
    I haven't raced Underdown. I did have a lot of beverages in the parking lot watching some friends race in the rain.

Tight, twisty, technical and almost entirely singletrack from how they described it.

It's on my bucket list for the summer.
    [

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    I haven't raced Underdown. I did have a lot of beverages in the parking lot watching some friends race in the rain.

Tight, twisty, technical and almost entirely singletrack from how they described it.

It's on my bucket list for the summer.
    Oh you're one of those kind of friends, antagonizing your buddies drinking beer while they suffer in the rain! Sounds like my kind of course. I'll see you there .

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    The drag about all the mountain bike racing in Wisconsin is the amount of riding hard single track taken off and put onto easier passing double track to give the roadies an upperhand. Want to know what single track is offered in Wisconsin? Forgo the entry fees and put towards lodging and camping and food and ride the real trail systems.
    It is not really the "roadies" (so 90's, btw) but the fact that WI has a huge amount of riders at virtually every race. I remeber the earlier WORS races where the log jam into the singletrack took 5-6 minutes, maybe more to clear. You know racers, everybody thinks they can win. A better way of starting would be a multiple wave, but even then its tight 'cuz there are less people in the way! P.S. - I used to race the WORS Levis race Expert - two mile lead out on gravel / dirt road and still a log jam to get in!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Man it's easy, I guess, to ruffle feathers simply opining on racing and mentioning "roadies". Relax and don't be so defensive. I own ten bikes. I ride mostly mountain bikes ( FS, Ht, & rigid 22/11 SS 26" OS ), but also ride a kick ass M4 Specialized Supercross ( that I use to race ), and a Ciocc Bertone classic European road racer, as well as, Merlin Ti road bike that I rode last night with the local "roadies" club. I was a racer. On the podium a few times with the NORBA Nationals and various state championships. I gave up racing in New Mexico because of a lot of our bottle neck jam starts too! I was only opining on how many of the race courses I have been on here seem to put a great portion of their races onto double track and ski trails. I believe this takes away from the skills involved in mountain biking including moving around racers on single track. In the "old days" you called out, racer!,and the rider in front would move into the right a s much as possible and the faster rider could go by on the left. It was a nice consideration to the faster rider. Also know quite a few racers in the area who train mostly on road bikes and can hardly really manage to ride all of Levis Trow or Underdown at a fast non stop pace. This is simply an observation and nothing else. I support all of you who race by donating money, sometimes time, and lots of volunteer work to keep trails in great shape. It should all be about having a good time and FUN!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O'Punc
    Man it's easy, I guess, to ruffle feathers simply opining on racing and mentioning "roadies". Relax and don't be so defensive. I own ten bikes. I ride mostly mountain bikes ( FS, Ht, & rigid 22/11 SS 26" OS ), but also ride a kick ass M4 Specialized Supercross ( that I use to race ), and a Ciocc Bertone classic European road racer, as well as, Merlin Ti road bike that I rode last night with the local "roadies" club. I was a racer. On the podium a few times with the NORBA Nationals and various state championships. I gave up racing in New Mexico because of a lot of our bottle neck jam starts too! I was only opining on how many of the race courses I have been on here seem to put a great portion of their races onto double track and ski trails. I believe this takes away from the skills involved in mountain biking including moving around racers on single track. In the "old days" you called out, racer!,and the rider in front would move into the right a s much as possible and the faster rider could go by on the left. It was a nice consideration to the faster rider. Also know quite a few racers in the area who train mostly on road bikes and can hardly really manage to ride all of Levis Trow or Underdown at a fast non stop pace. This is simply an observation and nothing else. I support all of you who race by donating money, sometimes time, and lots of volunteer work to keep trails in great shape. It should all be about having a good time and FUN!
    No offense taken, the feeling of things just get lost in forums! Sorry if I came off wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Levis 100 course

the Levis trail builder here (and past Buzzard Buster Director)
    I think the Levis 100 course has made some good changes over the years (Good Job Jason) and although I am just a liaison between the trail club and the race director, I do make suggestions on what parts of the course would work well for racing and what wouldn't.
    I understand Steve 'o punc comments, but there also is a lot of balance between offering a challenging course (ie: singletrack), not having frustrating bottlenecks, good flow to the course and what a particular trail can handle (trail impact). Strictly enjoying singletrack? Yeah, forget racing and entry fee and go ride. During the 14 years of Buzzard Buster, I think I changed the course every year to offer a roll out, singletrack, short double track to pass, then back into singletrack. The further into the race course a rider went, the more singletrack I tried to work in.

Although I have not raced the Levis 100, I have noticed how different it is (rider attitude-wise) from some of the WORS races I rode. I guess knowing 100 miles (or 50 or 25) are ahead of you on that day make being impatient early on fruitless. I'm glad Levis Mound hosts the event-it's good exposure for our trail here.

Okay, so back to the original question: Yes, it can be hot, there is a lot of singletrack this year, some rock, but it's sandstone and I highly doubt everyone will make the climb on Toad Road uphill in this version of the race. SS would be a long day, but doable and I like 29ers for a course like this (geared, non-susp and my opinion). I hope new racers to this course will come back and ride the singletrack that you'll miss during the race. We're working hard on a lot of good re-route upgrades this summer.
    Steve M.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Levis 100 trails are great. I raced the 100 last year.

If you're in Minneapolis you should check out the local trails: Afton Alps, Battle Creek, Murphy Hanrehan. Look in the MTBR reviews or ask in a shop for the locations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Lap times?

What do you think lap times will be for a mid pack cat 1 racer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Tough question-looking at the course map Jason set up, I think laps are around 12-14 miles, but it climbs Trow mound 1X, and Levis Mound 3X per lap (all singletrack). The only ski trail is a piece at the start, and a short section at mid race. Just really guessing here, because I don't know your riding is a lap time of 1:05- 1:35/lap?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smeurett
    Tough question-looking at the course map Jason set up, I think laps are around 12-14 miles, but it climbs Trow mound 1X, and Levis Mound 3X per lap (all singletrack). The only ski trail is a piece at the start, and a short section at mid race. Just really guessing here, because I don't know your riding is a lap time of 1:05- 1:35/lap?
    Well Steve you were pretty damn close with your lap time estimate, for the first lap that is. After that the trails pretty much took there toll on everyone in every category and lap times slowed. I think most everyone appreciated the two small double track sections just for a little relief from the relentless climbing and techy single. Only a handful of individuals in the 4 Lap, 60 mile race completed all four laps. Thankfully I was one of them. I paid the price for it though. After cleaning up and having some dinner around 10pm I started cramping so bad I couldn't even stay up to drink some beers. Needless to say still a great time in some evil sort of way. I can't wait to be back for Gnomefest to ride the great trails of Levis jst for fun. I guarantee you I'll be able to drink some beer that weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Glad you had a good race-from what I heard, the climbing did take a toll on everyone, and the climbs were not easy. I rode part of the course Sunday night and could feel your pain.

If I'd laid out the course, I might have eased up on the kinds of climbs-that is a long race and I guess no one wants to be just dead at the end. I agree, the short doubletrack gives everyone just a break and a chance to refuel or drink. Glad the bridges held up okay-I was out fixing some Friday. Gnomefest should be great-today we were benching in a longgg section of Goat Dance-the first climb. Will be done this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smeurett
    Glad you had a good race-from what I heard, the climbing did take a toll on everyone, and the climbs were not easy. I rode part of the course Sunday night and could feel your pain.

If I'd laid out the course, I might have eased up on the kinds of climbs-that is a long race and I guess no one wants to be just dead at the end. I agree, the short doubletrack gives everyone just a break and a chance to refuel or drink. Glad the bridges held up okay-I was out fixing some Friday. Gnomefest should be great-today we were benching in a longgg section of Goat Dance-the first climb. Will be done this week.
    Well some of my demise was of my own fault. I turned a a 1:26 first lap, which was way to fast, then backed off a bit to a 1:36 2nd lap but the damage was already done. I spent the better part of lap 3 in survival mode. I was in some serious hurt finishing that lap and thought I was going to drop out. Luckily I had scored some ibuprofren(sp?) from one of the bike patrols on course during that lap. Thanks! You were a life saver! So I continued on and eventually recoverd to turn a pretty strong final lap and actually battling for the 4th place position instead of just surviving. I had no problems with the difficulty of the race course. It was hard but I could have been easier on myself by taking a more reasonable pace in the early stages of the race. It is after all an Endurance race. Not everyone is going to finish and those that do are going to be hurtin'. I enjoyed the new stuff you had cut in on the race course as well. It should have ridden in nice with the traffic on it. Looking forward to riding the new and improved goat dance.

Members who have read this thread: 0