Levis Mound vs. Nine Mile - which is better?- Mtbr.com
    Beginner

Levis Mound vs. Nine Mile - which is better?

Planning to take a road trip to visit either Levis Mound or Nine Mile in western Wisconsin on this coming Friday. I've not ridden either place before

Has anyone ridden both? I've seen a few things online about Levis, but not much about Nine Mile. Which is better?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Levis is more of a wilderness experience, has really nice scenery and lookouts. On the down side, Levis is also quite sandy in some places. 9mile is also great, but imo is less an ďeventĒ than levis.

They both have a trail fee, so bring some cash or a check.
    whatever...

Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018
    Nine Mile is pretty boring in my opinion. The more advanced trails are mostly flat with few features or endless rock gardens over flat ground. There is one black trail that is decent fun (Ho Chi Minh) but, is not even close to black...If I were coming to the Wausau area to ride, I'd instead head to Ringle or Sylvan Hill. Ringle is still not steep but it has a ton of little features to play on and is an absolute blast. Sylvan has three downhill jump trails that are fun, if short.

mtbr member
    Levis is my happy place!

https://youtu.be/STvw7N9fKPE

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Between the two, Levis. You can do pure easy/intermediate riding by sticking to the perimeter, or add a bunch of climbing by going to the top of the mounds (all the central trails) which also have technical features. Check out Toad Road for a long climb! Nine mile has a string of black trails that you can link together and they are rock garden technical. Great for a day of riding, but I agree that Levis is more of an "event" trail to check out.

mtbr member
    Levis also has great camping with showers available.

Beginner
    Cool. Thanks, everyone. I had been leaning toward Nine Mike, but looks like Levis is a better bet.

Going to be hot on Friday! Hoping to get to there early-ish...around 9:00 (coming from Madison area).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If youíre coming from Madison, another decent place if you want to cut the drive shorter is Hartman Creek State Park in Wausau. Fast flowy stuff and thereís a ďlakeĒ with a beach to jump in after ride. Itís no Levis, but itís good Northwoods singletrack.
    whatever...

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    If youíre coming from Madison, another decent place if you want to cut the drive shorter is Hartman Creek State Park in Wausau. Fast flowy stuff and thereís a ďlakeĒ with a beach to jump in after ride. Itís no Levis, but itís good Northwoods singletrack.
    Might do...I'm taking the entire day off to go riding - haven't done something like this in many years, so I might go to one place for a few hours, drive over to another place and ride again. We'll see how quickly I tire out.

Either way, I'm going to for sure start out at Levis.

Already planning to do a weekend trip in August like this, but that'll be either to the Duluth area or the Marquette, MI, area. About once a year I have work to do in Marquette anyway, so hopefully I'll have work to do up there soon and I'll get my trip paid for!

Pizzaiolo Americano
    Aug 2018
    I should also mention that Standing Rock is also very nice. If you head to Hartman Creek, Standing Rock is only 30 minutes from there. I prefer it to Nine Mile as well...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    I should also mention that Standing Rock is also very nice. If you head to Hartman Creek, Standing Rock is only 30 minutes from there. I prefer it to Nine Mile as well...
    Thanks for that! Iím not OP, but somehow even though Iíve been to Hartman a hundred times, I did not know about Standing Rocks!
    whatever...