Kickapoo Valley Reserve & Viroqua- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Kickapoo Valley Reserve & Viroqua

Has anyone biked at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve or near Viroqua (Sidie Hollow?) I've heard of the trails existing, but don't know anything about them or if they are worth a weekend trip to ride. Any insight would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've not ridden those trails, but if you are in Viroqua you aren't that far from Lacrosse,
    the Hixton trails are great. Not trying to talk you out of the two you mentioned, I'd like to know what they are like also, just throwing out an option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yes, the Hixton trails are awesome!

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    My friends love Sidie Hollow. I guess there are lots of new trails there. I meant to get there this year (from Madison) but it never happened. Next year I hope.
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

Beginner
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyanne99 View Post
    Yes, the Hixton trails are awesome!
    I grew up in La Crosse. I've only recently gotten back into mountain biking, but when I was 13 or 14 years old I got a ticket from the Wisconsin DNR for riding on one of the trails in Hixon Forest that was for hiking only. My punishment was that I had to go to bike safety school. How funny is that? "You aren't supposed to ride on these forest trails, so we're going to make you learn how to safely ride your bike in traffic." Of course, now 25 years later it's one of the multi-use trails there that are open to bikes. I guess I just needed 25 years worth of patience!

My parents still live in La Crosse, and I've seen maps/pictures/videos of the trails that have been built up there. They look really rad! So when Wisconsin stops being Wisconsin in a few months and the snow melts off, I'll definitely be paying them a weekend visit to go ride Hixon Forest.

mtbr member
    I know this is from last Fall but... - I recently discovered the trails at Kickapoo Valley Reserve. I rode there a few times last summer and late fall. It is not a typical single track trail system - it is a multi-use trail cluster. There is a heavy use of Horses on these trails - most trails are wide but there are a few hidden gems throughout that keep it "fun" and interesting. There are some stream crossings and a few grassy areas abd some sandy wash outs. Some trails are designed decently but others follow straight fall lines and erosion ruts is constant. I would recommend a fat bike if you have one but any mtb would do fine. The thing I like most is this place is remote and even though weekends brings horses from all over - I have only come across one group of horses so far (lucky?) - and they seemed fine with me on the trail walking and talking. I would recommend Hanson Hill Lookout , Hay Valley and Big Valley - you have to be creative to make a loop but that is half the fun. This place would be so amazing with a few more miles of true single track.