Kettle South- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kettle South

mtbr member

Kettle South

We are going to be heading down to the Southern unit to try out the trails. I need advise on which trail to try Emma or John? 1-2 hours is usually our limit and is it alot like the North with the rocks and big hills? Thanks Alicia

=========
    Muir is more fast and flowy.....Emma is tighter and slightly more technical. I still think I like the Connector the most, but First timers usually hit up the Muir. You can ride a Blue Loop in an Hour plus ? depending on your pace. S.Kettle doesn't have as many babyheads as Greenbush, but they are there in short stretches. We make up for it with sand. A really nice ride is the Green out to the north connector - up to the emma overlook - and then the south connector back to Muir. You have the option to turn around at 5 road crossings on the connector if you get short on time or energy,

Check out www.southernkettles.org for maps of the three systems.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advise, we are looking forward to getting down there on Sat. afternoon. We usually ride Hartman Creek State Park so we know fast flowy and sandy. We have been working on the trail there and hopefully by the end of fall the 10 miles will be complete.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Maybe not on your first trip but you should really just do the whole shebang, Emma-Connector-Muir or Muir-Connector-Emma, your choice. Connect together the longest loops at both Emma & Muir with the Connector in between; it gets no better than that.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

What Rob said.

For a two hour cruise, Start at Emma ride the connector and back. See much, of the best, of the system that way. Two hours.

But an advantage of Muir is easy access to the LaGrange General Store.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    True, LaGrange General Store is great! Although I love both Emma and Muir, I find the connector kind of tedius. It's pretty for sure, but alot of it is just sandy and going through fields.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    True, LaGrange General Store is great! Although I love both Emma and Muir, I find the connector kind of tedius. It's pretty for sure, but alot of it is just sandy and going through fields.
    I think the connector is the most sandy I've ever seen it right now. I enjoy the connector and think there are some sections that really have great rhythm. Plus the fact that it tastes different than Emma and Muir.

Has anyone noticed that some of the trees on the connector have been cut partially (by the loggers?) about 3 feet up from the ground, its just curious these trees were partially cut and left standing.

One other comment. The trail maps at the J Muir trailhead that show the mileage and times for the various loops, have the orange loop being an hour and twenty minutes to complete? That seems like it should be a lot less than that. I did'nt time myself but my lap time for the orange was a lot less than that.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    Has anyone noticed that some of the trees on the connector have been cut partially (by the loggers?) about 3 feet up from the ground, its just curious these trees were partially cut and left standing.
    Those trees are being removed because of emerald ash borer beetle.

mtbr member
    By the way, I love the gnome up at the crossroads! Sadly I think it is only a matter of time before some devious person decides to take it.

=========
    By the way, I love the gnome up at the crossroads! Sadly I think it is only a matter of time before some devious person decides to take it.
    Just for the record - While I did name the gnome loop (along with many other sections of trail at Muir) - I have nothing to do with the gnomes that have been placed out there. People should remember that the DNR has rules and regs that probably prohibit such things. Not that I'm a rules and regs sort of person.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Beware of Wild Parsnip. I think I came in contact with mine a few weeks ago on the connector trail where it was overgrown. I have nasty blisters and scars as a result. A call to the DNR acknowledged the problem, but claimed they were too short of resources to do anything about it.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
    Beware of Wild Parsnip. I think I came in contact with mine a few weeks ago on the connector trail where it was overgrown. I have nasty blisters and scars as a result. A call to the DNR acknowledged the problem, but claimed they were too short of resources to do anything about it.
    Sorry to here that....wild parsnip leaves really nasty long lasting scars. I've gotten exposed out there and the scars lasted over a year. This is what it looks like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Pretty sure I just saw some at Greenbush yesterday too under the power lines in loop 3. I steered way clear this time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
    I've heard of wild parsnip, but did'nt know about the peril involved. Is it hanging over the trail in multiple areas or concentrated in one spot? If you stay on the trail will it not be an issue?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Not sure where I ran into it. It's a tall plant, so it's reasonable that I ran into it with my arms while riding. I never went off trail, so I surely ran into it at some point where the trails are overgrown, like the connector trail at Kettle South.

mtbr member
    There are so many areas with stuff brushing your arns I 've just been luck to not have hit it yet. I'm going this afternoon , I'll definitely be looking out for that. Do the blisters pop up right away after contact and then develop into cuts from the blisters? Poisen Ivy takes a day or two, The wild parsnip sounds worse than poisen ivy.

I looked at the link Gomez put up if I see this stuff I may try and take it down where its haning on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It is kind of a cool thing actually. The oil from the plant is harmless to the skin until exposed to UV light (sunlight). After exposure, your skin will actually get a chemical burn blister within 48hrs. No one is immune like some are with poison ivy because it's not an allergic reaction like poison ivy is. Just like a burn, the blister will stick around a few days, and then develop into a scar. It can takes years to clear up the scar. The only plus side is the blister doesn't itch at all.

Be careful when removing the plant. Also watch out for Giant Hogweed which has been reported in areas of Wisconsin too. It is similar to Wild Parsnip as far as blisters go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timewizard View Post
    Thanks for the advise, we are looking forward to getting down there on Sat. afternoon. We usually ride Hartman Creek State Park so we know fast flowy and sandy. We have been working on the trail there and hopefully by the end of fall the 10 miles will be complete.
    I still don't have enough posts to start a new thread, so I'll ask a quick question here. How are the Hartman Creek mountain bike trails? I'm used to Greenbush and Kettle South, so how would it compare to them?

mtbr member
    Horses have been riding Emma the last 2 Sundays. Other than that I'm loving the Emma C loop!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Horses!

Report any horses on the mt bike trails. Those trails can not sustain horse traffic.

From DNR chat:
    There are specific trails in the Park that are designated for horse riding only. I suggest you contact the park/forest to report this.
    The contact person is Amanda Prange. E-mail her @ [email protected].

Paul Sandgren @ 262-594-6200.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    My buddy had a horse rider yell at him for not dismounting when the horse was illegaly on a trial, and it was during the fall color festivals SANCTIONED RACE. Not the first story of entitled horse people in the area... normally I don't mind them, but that's pretty unacceptable.

=========
    By and large we don't have many equestrian problems at the southern kettles, because the land manager has provided two separate trail systems. The turn-styles adjacent to Emma Carlin are in disrepair and this seems to be where the horses are entering according to one previous report that I was aware of earlier this season. Report the problem and the land manager will (eventually) take care of it. The more people that contact Paul the higher it will move up the list of things to fix. Send a nice polite email or leave a voice mail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am more concerned about turkeys at Kettle South

mtbr member
    We finally made it down there it was awesome! We did the Emma loop and some of the connector with the sun fading we had to turn back. We were not able to make it up the hill but the rocks and the twisty trail will be worth a trip back. Great work on keeping a well used trail in super shape! Kettle South-p1010744.jpg

Hooked
    It stayed up there for quite awhile but was gone last Sunday. Disappeared in last 3-4 weeks As soon as we got to crossroads my Kiddo said "oh someone took the gnome and the Santa hat was gone too". I remember thinking ad we passed those rock stacks on the green/blue that something seemed different but until he mentioned the Santa hat, I didn't realize what it was.
    My blog - this, that, travel, garden, bikes, fitness, family, whatever

Instagram, Twitter you'll find me as beerbikegirl