Kettle Moraine in the Winter- Mtbr.com
    Living the thug life.

Kettle Moraine in the Winter

I'll be heading to the in-laws in Oconomowoc with my newly built up Karate Monkey and some wide rubber. Wondering if the trails in the southern kettles are open and are they ridden in?
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    The trail info line is (262) 594-6202, they will at least tell you if they are open or not.

Not sure what the 'winter' policy is but they do watch those trails and close them if they are wet. I imagine it'd be a tough ride if the tracks aren't worn in.

mtbr member
    Hotline says the trails are open...no further elaboration. I think you need to ride them and report back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As of a few days ago, there was close to a foot of snow on the ground out there (I've been skiing across the street at the Nordic trails). Though the trails may have received some foot (and maybe some bike) traffic, I'm doubting it's packed down too good. There is a lot of melting going on now and forecasted over the next few days, then some cold temps coming in on Sunday should refreeze everything hard. I think next week will show some promise for riding in the sub-freezing temps. There will probably still be quite a bit of snow cover, but it will be more likely to be firmed up. The holiday week will probably bring out more riders and foot traffic to help pack the trails too. I don't plan on riding out there, but I may be giving some of my local trails a try it things get too icy for skiing. .
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Just ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri
    I'll be heading to the in-laws in Oconomowoc with my newly built up Karate Monkey and some wide rubber. Wondering if the trails in the southern kettles are open and are they ridden in?
    Rent some XC skis from the La Grange General Store instead...I can barely walk thru my yard, let alone try to ride a bike thru it.

LO

Living the thug life.
    Well, I guess I may have to find out for myself. I'll post an update here if I manage to get down there, but with the temptaion to sit on the coach and eat cookies....

My blog.

mtbr member
    Don't sit on your coach...he might not like that.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    Don't sit on your coach...he might not like that.
    Maybe I'll hunt you down in Madison and sit on you!

My blog.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri
    Maybe I'll hunt you down in Madison and sit on you!
    I won't like that either. I won't be in Madison much over the next few days, anyway.

Living the thug life.
    Just for the record, I did not make it to the kettles. My opportunity to ride was Sunday and Monday. Sunday was way to windy (30 mph'ish) with the temps the way they were (12'ish) and the snow blowing around (whiteout!!). Monday saw me leave from the house to explore the local farm roads. I found a really fun snowmobile trail to ride on, though. Little icey, fell down 3 times, but had fun.

My blog.

Members who have read this thread: 0