Kettle Moraine or comparable options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Kettle Moraine or comparable options

Howdy.

I want to go to Kettle Moraine this weekend to experience the trails that I have been hearing about for years and to also camp. It is Memorial Day weekend though and I have never been camping during this time.

I fear that the campsite will be full. Anyone have any input on that?

Also, any comparable places to ride and camp in the general vicinity. I am from NW burbs of Chicago and willing to drive 2 or so hours for a mind blowingly awesome weekend. My friend and I are also willing to rough it with camping facilities.

Any and all input will be much appreciated.

Shout out to Mike's Bike Shop in Palatine for telling me about this site! Thanks!

Marni

I need skills
    Jul 2004

several campgrounds

you've got choices for campgrounds near lake geneva and the Southern Kettle Moraine State forest. Google those areas and get on the phone for camping advice and or reservations.
    good luck.
    ps. the S kettles will be your best bet.

mtbr member
    i camped regularly last year at kettle moraine. it gets very crowded on weekends- even busier on holiday weekends. the main camping area will almost for sure be full (ottawa lake). pinewoods is a short 10 minute drive had availability when ottawa was full.

arrive as soon as you can since the non-reservible site fill up quickly. you can give them a call to check on availability.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kms/

fyi, you'll have to pay a camp fee, car fee, and trail fee. wi really gets you. if you plan on going frequently, buy a yearly car and trail pass.

it's a lot of fun. enjoy!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

Bear
    Other options:

1. Cam-Rock
    It's about a forty minute drive from the John Muir trailhead and has about eight miles of singletrack with lots of options for getting in a few laps. Definitely worth checking out for a change of pace.

2. Blue Mound
    90 minutes from John Muir. Blue Mound is the most technical 15+ miles of trail you'll ride in the Midwest. Kettles is great because it's ridable and fun for lots of abilities. Blue Mound is fun because it's flat out tough.

3. Standing Rocks
    Just over two hours from John Muir. 14 miles of continuously curvy and undulating tight woodsy singletrack. Super fun. Ranks as more fun in my mind than Kettles.
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    +1 for Blue Mound (if you're into that kind of riding)
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

=========
    come to Wisconsin.....smell our dairy air!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMoxie
    Howdy.

I want to go to Kettle Moraine this weekend to experience the trails that I have been hearing about for years and to also camp. It is Memorial Day weekend though and I have never been camping during this time.

I fear that the campsite will be full. Anyone have any input on that?

Also, any comparable places to ride and camp in the general vicinity. I am from NW burbs of Chicago and willing to drive 2 or so hours for a mind blowingly awesome weekend. My friend and I are also willing to rough it with camping facilities.

Any and all input will be much appreciated.

Shout out to Mike's Bike Shop in Palatine for telling me about this site! Thanks!

Marni
    Welcome. I think camping might be your toughest issue. I don't know if there's a forum that the Kettles riders use but people often announce when they ride on the madcitydirt.org forums if you want to meet up with somebody who can give some guidance. Sometime Kettles riders announce a time at trail head right here.

Everyplace mentioned is great, Kettles and Blue Mound are where you can be at it for hours at a time and the smaller places offer some skills and features riding that makes them worth the trip. The Madison area has two pump tracks if you've never tried one and lines of jumps and berms designed for beginner through expert. I got feedback from somebody that they had a great time combining the 4 smaller areas in a day and ending up at the brewery.

There is other camping near Whitewater and in the Madison area but again, it's the holiday weekend and nice weather forecast. You could call the bike shops and businesses in Whitewater area for camping suggestions.

Don't hesitate to visit at other times because all the new trail work is making for a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    i camped regularly last year at kettle moraine. it gets very crowded on weekends- even busier on holiday weekends. the main camping area will almost for sure be full (ottawa lake). pinewoods is a short 10 minute drive had availability when ottawa was full.

arrive as soon as you can since the non-reservible site fill up quickly. you can give them a call to check on availability.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/kms/

fyi, you'll have to pay a camp fee, car fee, and trail fee. wi really gets you. if you plan on going frequently, buy a yearly car and trail pass.

it's a lot of fun. enjoy!
    we gotta get some of that Toll money back somehow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    good point! i don't mind paying the fees in wi- at least it seems to be going to good use (not like il tollways). i enjoy your state!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the locust
    +2

My son goes to school in Valparaiso IN. I bought an IPASS. So far I'm probably about $150 into it. And I didn't even get to ride my bike!

Come on up and give me a partial refund.

Walt

Members who have read this thread: 0