Kettle fall festival Sept 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kettle fall festival Sept 29

http://www.fallcolorfestival.org/

Anyone going to ride there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Without Question

I rode the 10 Mile race last year and had a blast. This year, my first in the WORS series, I am planning on attending seeing it is an off week for WORS. Last week when I looked at the website they hadn't set a schedule yet BUT if I recall there are several excellent rides, a 10 mile, 10/10 mile Bike/Run, a 20, 30, and 40 mile. And for all the SSer's out there you get your own race as well. It has a friendly crowd and delicious New Glarus beer on tap. Can not say enough good things. Add that to the fact that if you are a WORS racer and are lucky enough to get into the Fat Tire Fest, which I'm getting my second crack at the Short & Fat, you can race every weekend in September, no better way to end the season.

See you there and save me a seat at the beer tent.

mtbr member
    New Glarus beer on tap
    Alright, you convinced me.

Haha, well actually it would be my first race and it seemed like a good one to race at for the first time. I compared my time on the blue lap to the ladies from last year and I can def compete. Think I should go for it?

Is the beer for before or afterwards?

ya never know in Wisconsin

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    After, but it's a good question!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So this is a race not just a nice ride in the park to raise money? I suppose one could take a nice ride in the park if it is a race and just enjoy the scenery.

Rokken with Dokken
    Looks like fun. I'm planning on being there. Might try to get a couple of friends to go with me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    been going every year since it started, mid nineties or so. This year I'm a bit pissed though. Every single year the 20 miler started at noon. Now, it's at 10. That makes it a serious pain in the butt for people who don't live 1/2 an hour away. I come from Illinois, 2.5 hours. With a wife and 3 year old in tow, that means I'm going to have to leave at 6:30 instead of the much better 8:30. It's one big lap now too, used to be 2, which I like much better because many people don't get to pre-ride anything, so the whole entire race is not knowing the course at all.

make no mistake, it's a race, people go hard. I used to get a t-shirt, bottle, stickers, some stuff in a bag. Then the t-shirts were only for sale. Then you got just a water bottle. Now you get zip. Couldn't Trek, the sponsor, and what, an hour away, give out some nice Trek gear? Hats, shirts, something?

I don't know, I go every year because the family and I then head up to Door County for some camping, and it makes a nice stop off. But it seems to cost more, you get less, every year. Between the pass to park, the pass to ride the trails, the entry fee, you are at $50!

mtbr member
    I think I might try this. Good first race, the 10 mile.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork
    make no mistake, it's a race, people go hard.
    So would you recommend this as sort of a first race if one has never raced before? Or can you go, come in last but meet people?

I have never raced and I don't know if I want to, but maybe just meeting people here to go for a ride is more what I am looking for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    By all means, come on out. Do the 10 miler if you don't know if you want to do the 20, or, if you are in decent XC shape, do the 20 miler, and maybe stay towards the back of the start chute so you don't have to have all the nuts yelling to move over (never understood that. A typical XC race is what, hour, 2 hours? Why do you so desperatly need to go around me in the first minute of the race? If you were that great, you'd be at the front already...).

They don't call it a race I think because of "legal" reasons. It's touted as a trail fundraiser, not a race. But most are going as fast as a race.

The trails are good, the weather is usually good, and they have some good grilled chicken burgers and cookies when you are done.

mtbr member
    Canuck,
    I did exactly what you're describing 2 years ago, having never raced before and only having ridden singletrack a little that year. It was a blast, and all that mattered was that I didn't come in last... I went back last year, and plan on being there this year (even with the 2.5hr drive and $50 to ride). For me, its not so much a race but a social ride (with NG beer afterwards...) I'm not the fastest, not anywhere near it. My only goal was to beat my time from the previous year.

As for the route, you can ride the route at any time in the year. It used to be laps of the "blue" loop at John Muir. Now they're changing things by adding in the connector trail towards Emma Carlin as well. If you want to pre-ride, go anytime between now and then to check the trails out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was talking with my boss about this as he has ridden the John Muir trail numerous times. He kind of went through the whole trail for me. I guess I just need to get there and try it out. Maybe Labour Day weekend I will get over there and take it for a spin. If not, what the hell, if anything hopefully I will meet some folks from here. Just look for me towards the back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    By all means, come on out. Do the 10 miler if you don't know if you want to do the 20, or, if you are in decent XC shape, do the 20 miler, and maybe stay towards the back of the start chute so you don't have to have all the nuts yelling to move over (never understood that. A typical XC race is what, hour, 2 hours? Why do you so desperatly need to go around me in the first minute of the race? If you were that great, you'd be at the front already...).

They don't call it a race I think because of "legal" reasons. It's touted as a trail fundraiser, not a race. But most are going as fast as a race.

The trails are good, the weather is usually good, and they have some good grilled chicken burgers and cookies when you are done.
    Go sign up for race and then you'll figure out why it can be so important to get out first before singletrack....
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    ...It's one big lap now too...
    This is a bonus in my opinion...the new, improved Connector Trail is awesome and it exposes more people to the potential of the Kettles trails. Many people who ride at Kettles don't venture outside of the Muir trail system.

He be a moose too.
    Fanghasyou is correct. This is a great ride but if you're at the back of the pack, you're stuck. There is so much singletrack where it's hard to pass. It's a great course for riding and so-so for racing. If you have preferred start like I did once, it's a whole different thing.

Pinguwin

Rokken with Dokken
    Question: Has anyone ridden the Kettles recently? I was there over Labor Day weekend and there seemed to be a lot of trees down, which I'm guessing was from all the storms that area has been through. In a few spots the trail was impassible ... well, unless your bunny hop is 3 feet high.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I thought that was a min. requirement for riding.

I am still up in the air on this... I haven't been riding as much as I would have liked due to moving and having the fork in at Manitou being fixed. But I am hoping that in the next couple weeks things will settle down and I can make it there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Rode last weekend

I rode the Muir trails last weekend and all of the giant downed trees have since been removed, at least on the blue loop. They left one tree on the last section of the green from the connector trail split to the parking lot. They piled some smaller limbs on each side of it so it can be ridden over also. Otherwise the trails seemed to be in overall good condition. There were plenty of puddles/mud in the usual places on the southern portion. The sand in the forest also seemed to be a little tougher/deeper than usual to get through but it was still very manageable, just keep up the momentum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyTurtle
    Question: Has anyone ridden the Kettles recently? I was there over Labor Day weekend and there seemed to be a lot of trees down, which I'm guessing was from all the storms that area has been through. In a few spots the trail was impassible ... well, unless your bunny hop is 3 feet high.
    It's all better now, rode there on Sunday and it was all cleaned up.

Just ride.

Trails were good last weekend...

...however....the DNR & Sheriff's Dept were all over that place Mon, Tue, Wed this week looking for a body (which they did find on Wed..apparent suicide). Haven't been out there yet to survey any damage done by the search and recovery efforts. Lots, and lots of ATVs, etc..all over the place.

Fall Color is a great event & fundraiser for the trails. New this year...the connector trail will be included for the longer events which should break up the monotony of ripping off 2-3 blue loops.

LO

mtbr member
    Trails in pretty good shape except for the lake of mud.....people are now going around it Go through it! Don't make your own trail! Granted, I didn't make it, but managed to get my foot on a little island or I would of been submerged in it.

Someone also went through and cut one of the logs so you can now pass through it...again Don't know what they were thinking...it was a small log! but whatever...

Lot's of erosion sadly, but it added a bit more technical aspects to some areas...won't be good in the long run and we'll have to do some fixing, but it was really fun.

Good ride today

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremewriter
    Trails in pretty good shape except for the lake of mud.....people are now going around it Go through it! Don't make your own trail! Granted, I didn't make it, but managed to get my foot on a little island or I would of been submerged in it.

Someone also went through and cut one of the logs so you can now pass through it...again Don't know what they were thinking...it was a small log! but whatever...

Lot's of erosion sadly, but it added a bit more technical aspects to some areas...won't be good in the long run and we'll have to do some fixing, but it was really fun.

Good ride today
    I was also out to the muir trails again on Saturday and noticed the reroute around the lake of mud...I actually like riding through that mud...I find it to be a good challenge. The sand in the forest is also getting very DEEP no matter what route you take.

Can somebody tell me what the parking situation is like for the festival. Is the parking lot pretty packed where a person may not have a spot to park or do they allow people to park on the grass? Also, what time would you recommend to get there. Registration opens at 8 and the first race is at 9:45. Do they allow you to do any warm-up laps on the shorter loops? I'm really looking forward to this race, being my first one. I just ran a 5k race on Sunday and that really got my competitive side up. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I to would like to know about the parking or where to go. I will be there as long as I can get my Fork back from Manitou.. or HB Suspension or whatever they call themselves now. What was suppose to be a send it, repair it, send it back (3 day) job is turning into an over a week job. They said they are extremely back logged right now. Hopefully I will get it back this week, but as I said I will be most likely at the back of the pack, to get a feel for things.

Will there be or have there been typical non racers that attend this? Do you guys set up somewhere or is it just a free for all as to where you are?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bump for advice on parking and ability to warm up before the races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Which Kettle ride to do 10 or 20?

I've never ridden these trails yet so I was wondering which ride/race to do 10 or 20 miler?

Here's some info on my fitness and ability. The few times I rode in a WORS race I ride the citizen group and the last race I was in was the Treadfest at the Geneva Resort, I took 4th out of 9 ( damn, that 3rd place guy only beat me by 6s.) I really loved the technical aspects of the Treadfest race, climbing is not my strong suit but I get through it when I have to.

The other WORS race I did was last year at the Subaru Devil's Head and I was also in the citizen group and finished about midfield.

The recent Illinois race I was in was the Palos Meltdown and I rode sport and finished 53rd of about 100.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Specialized Epic Expert Evo
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Squiggles
    Bump for advice on parking and ability to warm up before the races.
    Don't know about them allowing parking on the grass, but there is another parking lot across the road from the Muir trail head that is the parking lot for a XC ski trail head. They'll use that for overflow parking for sure.

As for warmups, you'll be able to ride on the road to warm up...just like any other mtb race. Or bring a trainer.

Rokken with Dokken
    Quote Originally Posted by baraant
    I've never ridden these trails yet so I was wondering which ride/race to do 10 or 20 miler?

Here's some info on my fitness and ability. The few times I rode in a WORS race I ride the citizen group and the last race I was in was the Treadfest at the Geneva Resort, I took 4th out of 9 ( damn, that 3rd place guy only beat me by 6s.) I really loved the technical aspects of the Treadfest race, climbing is not my strong suit but I get through it when I have to.

The other WORS race I did was last year at the Subaru Devil's Head and I was also in the citizen group and finished about midfield.

The recent Illinois race I was in was the Palos Meltdown and I rode sport and finished 53rd of about 100.
    I run about mid to upper third of the pack in the WORS Citizen class. I'm going to do the 20 miler. My plan is basically to ride steady instead of trying to kill it. I've done the blue-connector-Emma ride, so I think the 20 should definitely be doable. Go for it, I say.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So how was the turn out? I didn't get my fork in time for me to make it there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Seemed light this year. I've been to all but the 13 years, and this year was my least favorite by far. Not doing two laps of blue for 20 miles just didn't fly with me. The total turned out to be a tad shy of 25 miles...who cares really, but when you are trying time yourself to not explode the last part of the race, 5 more miles can goof things badly for me. That, and there were several areas with 2 way traffic, and every single time I had to stop and wait for several people to cross before I could go. I won't even mention the 15 minute wait now at registration (wait in one line to check in...then wait in another HUGE line to get your ankle chip...), that seemed dumb. Not to mention it's now $50.00 with all the fees to get in. No water bottle, no nothing. Oh yeah, they didn't have enough t-shirts either. Sold out of XL before the race even started at 9:30 a.m.

I don't know, overall each year is getting harder and harder to justify. Greed seems to be taking over.

He be a moose too.
    I'm not sure where you got $50 from, I did the 20 miles and it was $35 + $7 to park and pre-registration was $25. As far as it being 25 miles, it's the same blowup thing for everyone. I won't comment about the greed as I'm not doing it every year but at least with this race, I understand that some goes to trail maintenance which is more than a lot of races. What makes you think they are being greedy? Understand I'm not asking that as a troll, I'm really interested in hearing what you have to say.

I had a few minor problems, they forgot to give me a chip until I was in the starting gate and people were cutting in line of others already lined up, to me that was bad form and most people aren't going to say anything (it's not the racers position to have to hassle people about this it's the officials job). One other thing is that there was a tree down over the trail that people had to duck for, that has a potential for injury that shouldn't be on a race course.

Actually I kind of liked having the connector trail on it. It gave it more variety. I like the blue loop a lot and while the connector is not as much fun, hey, it's still good.

As far as the two way traffic, it really was a very minor part, measured in yards with two digits. Yes, you might have to wait a short bit but that probability was there for everyone and in the end, evens out over the entire group of riders. I don't take the race very seriously in terms of placing as there are so many bottlenecks on the trail. You might have lost a few seconds on the two-way but think how much time one lost when waiting for a good place to pass on the rest of the trail.

For me, the race really didn't open up until just about off the blue loop. I lost many minutes waiting to pass on the blue but I knew the race would be like that unless you had a preferred start. However that is the nature of this race. The biggest problem I had in the race was with a few riders who insisted on passing in places that were not safe or proper (including one guy who was about to run into me and I put my elbow out to mitigate a collision, he had a fit about this, I told him to get stuffed). Many others and myself waited until there was a good place to pass and for the most part people were pretty good about it.

It's really not a good race course at all, in fact one of the worst I've been on but it's still a fun ride. A good race course isn't one that gets such a traffic jam but that's the nature of the ride on this particular trail. Great trail, so-so race course but loads of fun. It's ok, I'll be sure to enter it again.

pinguwin

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm from IL, so tack on another $8 bucks = $50.

Had I not done almost all of these races, I'd have nothing to complain about. But when these started, you simply got more for your money. Suddenly you got no goodie bags, no t-shirts, no nothing, and then the fancy buildings started being built. Hey, I have no problem building a decent bathroom for trail riders to enjoy, but the big shelter and building seems to be built solely for use by the race, no? Raise funds for trails, then build stuff only for the race that we could do without.

I don't know, it's stupid trivial stuff really, I'm just whining at this point.

The old format for over a decade was simple - 10:00 30 miler, 12:00 - 20 miler, and I don't know when the 10 miler was. The majority of the people do the 20 miler. So now, I have to get a family up and out the door by 6:30 a.m. instead of 8:30 a.m. Trust me, when you have small kids, that's a big difference. Why change it now? Now, all three distances go off within 15 minutes. That means all riders are trying to register, check in, and get their chips at basically the same time. The start area now became just one big group.

Bottom line, I'd rather have the race than not have it, as being from Chicagoland, my choices are slim for events 2 hours or less away.

My main problem is the new start time and not doing 2 laps of blue.

*****in' over - I'll be back most likely.

Rokken with Dokken
    I did the 20-but-actually-25-mile race, err, event. I dunno, I had fun. But then, this was my first time so I don't have anything to measure against. Somehow, my seat post clamp broke about a half mile in, so I lost a few minutes coming back in to get it fixed. Plus side was I didn't have to worry much about traffic since the entire field went by.

I did enjoy having the connector as part of the race. Kinda gave it a point-to-point feel. I didn't really have trouble with traffic at the intersections or with passing and getting passed.

My main problem was that I was looking forward to having some tasty New Glarus products afterward, but when I got finished I just didn't feel like drinking anything except water. I don't know what's wrong with me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003

Can't Complain

I thought the turn out was good, looking back at the parking lot from the race area there seemed to be more cars than last year. I can respect the complaint about the chip/regestration lines, seeing they were "misshandled" but the trail, weather, and people were as good as a riding weekend can produce. I didn't understand the problem with the timing and results but I think that was related to the chip/regestration problems, beer solves everything though.

Next year keep this race in mind, pre-register, and carpool with a bunch of friends, that limits the cost for you guys down south.

How did everybody finish? I took 3(age)/13(overall) in the 10 miler and it looked like the 20 and 30 milers had some good competition in them.

Members who have read this thread: 0