Just moved to Minny- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Just moved to Minny

Just moved to Minny from the East. Looking for some great trails that may be similar in style. Ups and downs, roots, rocks, drops, flowing. Just all around great trails.

Used to ride in Saratoga and down in Stewart in Newburgh (best yet) and everywhere inbetween.

Looking forward to joining the group.

See you in the woods!
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

Mikey likes dirt.
    Just moving back myself, but from the other way in CO. Never ridden out E., but from what I hear, you'll probably never find anything here that is nearly as techy as there.

MN/WI trails have great, consistent ups and downs, just not the prolonged ups/downs you'd see either E or W. Duluth has arguably some of the better trails in the North (I think there's 80 mi. or so all within city limits) , & a great mix of technical stuff (rocky, rooty, steep), with great views of the lake & surrounding hills. You can easily link up most of the major trail systems with some short ride on back roads for an epic day.

Otherwise the CAMBA trails in WI are FANTASTIC, & you could make loops out there all day as well. Levis/trow are some of the best trails anywhere in WI. I hear the Copper Harbor stuff is great, too, but never made it that way.

Welcome & happy trails!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Welcome to the North Star state! Duluth is a little further North than that, (2 hours driving time from the cities). I would recommend Cuyuna Trails also North of the cities. Here is a Good (Minnesota) forum to start with to discover MTB in Minnesota:

w w w dot morcmtb dot org

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yeah, you need to realize this isn't the NE. things are different. not worse or better, but expectations need to alter. Just like I won't expect the trails of AZ to be replicated here, it is time to find what you enjoy. Cuyuna in mid MN is great, but closed for the winter. In the Twin cities, Lebanon Hills is likely the most developed, but I prefer Murphy and Elm Creek. Check out the MORC site, and follow the flow

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Welcome to Minnesota!

Where in the state did you move to?

Cuyuna will be open to snow biking here this winter as soon as it snows (no snow yet, which is odd). It will be separate from the summer singletrack.

There is plenty of singletrack around the cities and Duluth. Go to the MORC website and check in. ( Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists )

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not to hijack, but snowboy, what do you mean by "it will be separate from the summer singletrack"? And why are they waiting for snow? I realize the trails had to close for hunting season, but if they are opening again, why not now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The DNR has decided to make them separate. They plan to groom the trails on a regular basis and the singletrack constructed now would be hard to groom mechanically. Beyond that, I'm sure there are other reasons I don't know about.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback- I'm def not expecting east coast trails out here but am looking forward to seeing what the area has to offer. BTW I live in Minneapolis so I think Lebanon would make sense.

I also heard from Tracy at Now Bikes that there was some good mountain biking up around the shop in Arden Hills/Shoreview but haven't seen it posted anywhere?

Thanks-
    Ellsworth Epiphany SST2 SRAM XO
    Trek Madone 6.9 SSL
    9:Zero:7 SRAM X7

Dirt Huffer
    Check out my sig.

If you travel to Duluth, check out Piedmont. Lots of up and down and great scenery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapkos13 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback- I'm def not expecting east coast trails out here but am looking forward to seeing what the area has to offer. BTW I live in Minneapolis so I think Lebanon would make sense.

I also heard from Tracy at Now Bikes that there was some good mountain biking up around the shop in Arden Hills/Shoreview but haven't seen it posted anywhere?

Thanks-
    Welcome to MN! Like others have said, MN riding is different than other places but still fun. Like others have said, check out the Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists (MORC) website. MORC is your local IMBA chapter and the local mountain bike advocacy group. Lebanon is a great trail, but there is a lot of local singletrack to check out. There is probably 80+ miles of singletrack around the Twin Cities. Cuyuna (2 hours north of metro) is a world class trail system. If you are into flow and speed, it is a blast! There is plenty to explore. We are pretty lucky as far as metro areas go. I'm not sure what Now Bikes is talking about because there isn't anything up in that area for mountain biking. You don't see it posted because it doesn't exist.