John Muir, etc... what to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

John Muir, etc... what to ride?

Coming out to Elkhorn for a visit next weekend. Been a few years....... Rode Blue and White trails at Muir last time I was out. Rented a FS that time from Backyard Bikes which I thought was overkill for those trails. Decided to try out a 29+ hardtail (Trek Stash 7) this time. I doubt we'll do more than a 2-3 hour ride. Probably not even gonna bother sending out any gear, might just rent a helmet and go with flats and tennis shoes since we'll likely only do 1 ride!

Any other suggestions? Don't wanna ditch the family all day so I'm thinking fairly close to that area is best. So that leaves Muir/Emma Carlin & Alpine Valley probably?
    Last edited by cobi; 09-23-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Eminent Goofball
    John Muir, Emma Carlin, and Alpine Valley are certainly the best stashes of trail in that general area.

If you've got 3 hours, you can link John Muir and Emma together with the Connector trail. You can park at either trailhead and put together a nice ride without having to make repetitive loops.

Emma is a little more technical than Muir, but you can certainly ride any of it with a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjlavesser View Post
    John Muir, Emma Carlin, and Alpine Valley are certainly the best stashes of trail in that general area.

If you've got 3 hours, you can link John Muir and Emma together with the Connector trail. You can park at either trailhead and put together a nice ride without having to make repetitive loops.

Emma is a little more technical than Muir, but you can certainly ride any of it with a hardtail.
    Thanks CJ, did pretty much exactly what you suggested. We parked at Bluff road and looped Emma and back. I wanted a bit more so I dropped my brother towards the end and had him pick me up at Muir. Had a blast, just under 3 hours for 21 miles and the 29+ was perfect for those trails. Had a tasty honey ham sandwich and Spotted Cow at the general store and even ran into a guy from my hometown in CO there! We apparently both tried to rent the same bike today. Small world.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi...going next weekend...any info? Updates? Need to get a pass or anything like that? Never been

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

trails

If riding at Muir or Emma, you'll need the $5 trail pass and the day parking pass (which I'm guessing is $8) if you don't have annual passes. Trails are well marked. Emma is a bit more technical than Muir (although orange loop at Muir is also technical). If you're looking for a real cardio workout, Alpine is where it's at and the flowy descents are a nice reward for all your climbing. This isn't marked quite as well, but the majority of it is just follow the singletrack with no other option. Day pass here is $2. The loop is about 9 miles. You can cut parts off of it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyanne99 View Post
    If riding at Muir or Emma, you'll need the $5 trail pass and the day parking pass (which I'm guessing is $8) if you don't have annual passes. Trails are well marked. Emma is a bit more technical than Muir (although orange loop at Muir is also technical). If you're looking for a real cardio workout, Alpine is where it's at and the flowy descents are a nice reward for all your climbing. This isn't marked quite as well, but the majority of it is just follow the singletrack with no other option. Day pass here is $2. The loop is about 9 miles. You can cut parts off of it.
    Thank you Holly...where do you purchase?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    Thank you Holly...where do you purchase?
    All can be purchased in the parking lots. There are self-pay envelopes.