It's official: The Middleton WI Bike Skills Park.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It's official: The Middleton WI Bike Skills Park.

Thanks to all who have helped and showed up at the meeting last week.

The PRFC approved the park, initial budget of $10,000 and awarded contracts to 3 who bid to do site prep, design and construction work. Work is scheduled to begin this week but snow may hamper that.

We have applied for a Bike Belong grant that may add substantially to this amount and we still need other donations as well as volunteer labor to make this a success.

At this point it looks like the contractor for the jumps and skills construction will be here in June 2010 and we will have to schedule club work days to coordinate with his presence.

The Middleton Public Lands manager announced today that there are naming opportunities for sponsors.

The location is the wooded area across from the Pleasant View golf course club house. This means food and Middlton's own Capital beer will be available for post-riding sport and entertainment.

There is a Middleton sub-forum on the madcitydirt.org site for information and the club calendar will have important dates and events.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Need any volunteers digging/shaping?

I also know just the right guy who might donate some of his time (hes a contractor/carpenter) to build some skinnies/teeter-totters/elevated wood structures

I dont check the madcitydirt forums as much as mtbr, will work dates and stuff be posted here too?

viva la v-brakes!
    Congratulations and thanks to all of those who made this happen for the hard work.

Now, one little request: can you guys try to include some beginner sized jumps for those of us who are, though otherwise be considered experienced mountain bikers, afraid of death on doubles and need a little help progressing from bunny hops to "big air"?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Congratulations and thanks to all of those who made this happen for the hard work.

Now, one little request: can you guys try to include some beginner sized jumps for those of us who are, though otherwise be considered experienced mountain bikers, afraid of death on doubles and need a little help progressing from bunny hops to "big air"?
    +2 I think a beginner line/s would draw more people to the park to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hope this answers the posts above.

Lots of help will be needed including money and labor. Both general labor and specific skills will be needed, but it's important to remember that professionals have been awarded bids for design and construction, everything has to be done within best practices, and work has to be of high quality. Nothing can be done without final approval from the city or those who may be delegated responsibilities by the PRFC (Parks, Recreation & Forests Committee).

On the size of jumps and skills... The target audience is intermediate to expert bikers and people seeking recreation and fitness. The concept is a pump track surrounded by technical trail features both natural and built. The city has a full-blown skate park and from it they know it has to be a place worth visiting yet consider safety.

Receipt of grant money and donations will influence what we can build and how much will be built in 2010.

Stay tuned to the CORP web site where information will be posted and where there is a sub-forum for this park.

Thank you.

mtbr member

Hello

Hey all. Happy New Year. I am the contractor that will be coming in to work with you all on the bike park element of the project. I just wanted to give you all a way to communicate some ideas for the project. If you want to put the ideas on here, I will check in periodicly. It may be easier, as well, to go ahead and throw some stuff onto the Facebook discussion I have set up on our company page. If you have any more personal requests feel free to drop me an email, the address is on my blog, linked below.

I look forward to getting to meet all of you and do as much digging and riding as we can while I am in town.

Ben

Members who have read this thread: 0