How is Blue Mounds riding- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

How is Blue Mounds riding

Did anyone go out there today? I'm thinking of hitting it Sunday.

Latest reports said Over Lode was OK.

mtbr member
    My daughter and I rode overload this morning. It was pretty dry and should be great for tomorrow. Rest of the trails were closed as far as i know.

Jon

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Over Lode is great. The rest is mixed between OK and muddy, mostly OK.

Afric Pepperbird
    Is the deadfall cleared from the rest?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There's not much deadfall. Maybe a few.

Afric Pepperbird
    Thanks, all.

I moved here last year, and have not had a chance to ride Blue Mounds (or anywhere else in Wisconsin, for that matter ). This will be my first time.

Does it generally need to be bone dry for the entire trail system to be opened? Spaten75 mentioned muddy. I don't recall tons of heavy rain lately. Is it just a poor draining system/soil?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Thanks, all.

I moved here last year, and have not had a chance to ride Blue Mounds (or anywhere else in Wisconsin, for that matter ). This will be my first time.

Does it generally need to be bone dry for the entire trail system to be opened? Spaten75 mentioned muddy. I don't recall tons of heavy rain lately. Is it just a poor draining system/soil?

Thanks in advance.
    At times part of Blue Mound is open. Some of the area trails are open before others. Thus, checking the the official trail conditions on CORP IMBA Chapter home page (Home Page - madcitydirt.com) is always the best first step.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am very familiar with Blue Mound, so I tend to forget how challenging it can be for those used to other trails in the area. If you've ridden technical rock gardens, you should be fine. If you ride Over Lode, the very beginning and end have some rock gardens, in between it's more flowy, some steep climbs and fast descents.

The rocks in the park are sharp (self-sharpening, actually), so there tends to be a lot of grip when you ride on them, but then there's also higher risk of puncture, especially sidewall. Ride ON the rocks when possible rather than in between.

Blue Mound does tend to take longer to dry out in the spring. Over Lode is very well drained and can be ridden when other parts of the trail are too muddy. The weather obviously plays a role, but some areas of the trail just drain poorly. If the trails are muddy enough, once you go through these spots, your tires pack with mud, and then you're slipping on everything and leaving ruts through the bad sections. I have ridden in these conditions, and can tell you that it can vary from interesting/different to terrifying.

Once the trails do dry out completely, they tend to fare better after rainfall, due to the ability for the ground and vegetation to soak it up.

The good news is that plans are in the works to fix a lot of these issues, which will result in a better, more sustainable trail system that will be open more days of the year.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello!

Not to be a hi-jack, but curious on people's opinions or suggestions on the Madison area riding scene? Wife and I are moving up to Sun Prairie area this fall.

I know Blue Mound is about 30min south/west of Madison and seems to come up pretty frequently. Quarry Ridge is another closer to town, but sounds smaller.

As for my preferred type of riding, its primarily fast and flowly with the occasional techy spots. I like going off jumps, rocks, logs etc but don't like the entire trail to be made up of that. Essentially I need plenty of space before/after the feature to prepare/recover. (A good example of a trail system I ride is Sunderbruch Park in Davenport, IA. Can find it here.)

Any suggestions for places to ride in the Madison area?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    See madcitydirt.com. On that side of Madison, CamRock, Quarry Ridge, Pleasant View. Blue Mound is fairly technical but the east side of the park is not so much. Seminole is short and fun with little to no technical.

Afric Pepperbird
    So, I never did make it out here once the entire year.

Was the entire riding area even open this year? I know it was a very wet spring/summer/fall, and whenever I checked, the Overlode, Holy Schist, (i.e. outer areas) were always closed due to wet conditions.

On the bright side, I got tons of road riding in on my vintage Falcon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    So, I never did make it out here once the entire year.

Was the entire riding area even open this year? I know it was a very wet spring/summer/fall, and whenever I checked, the Overlode, Holy Schist, (i.e. outer areas) were always closed due to wet conditions.

On the bright side, I got tons of road riding in on my vintage Falcon!
    I don't keep track of how often it was open but had several great rides. The trail improvements are wonderful.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    I don't keep track of how often it was open but had several great rides. The trail improvements are wonderful.
    Yeah, every time I checked, just the basic loop was open. And I'm not one to poach trails.