A hiking question - Kettle Moraine State Forest- Mtbr.com
    Afric Pepperbird

A hiking question - Kettle Moraine State Forest

I'm a fairly new transplant to Wisconsin. I've yet to hit either Emma Carlin or John Muir. I expect to bike both many times next year.

My question is this: I do lots of winter hiking, and am wondering which would be better to *hike* this weekend. I like challenging, lung busting hikes, and while I doubt I can find much of that here, compared to Oregon, I'll take any good hiking I can get. Whichever one has better scenery, more ups-and-downs, etc., please lay it on me! I'm not including Scuppernong, as I did that years ago, and it was very flat, and the pines were all in ugly, plantation rows.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I don't hike.
    I have walked my bike up more hills in the John Muir portion.
    Might want to compare Kettle North vs South

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd recommend the Ice Age trail for hiking in the Kettles. It's a thru-hiking trail so you can go as far as you want, but you'll need to do out-and-back hikes or arrange a shuttle. Here's a link:
    Hiking the Ice Age Trail in Kettle Moraine South

You can also hike the mountain bike trails, but I find all the switchbacks get annoying when on foot. The Ice Age Trail has a lot more classic fall-line hiking and is typically a little narrower than the mtb trails. Also, since you will be riding the mountain bike trails it's nice to hike something different. You can also hike the XC Ski trails if there isn't snow cover but those are much wider trails.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by trailville View Post
    I'd recommend the Ice Age trail for hiking in the Kettles. It's a thru-hiking trail so you can go as far as you want, but you'll need to do out-and-back hikes or arrange a shuttle. Here's a link:
    Hiking the Ice Age Trail in Kettle Moraine South

You can also hike the mountain bike trails, but I find all the switchbacks get annoying when on foot. The Ice Age Trail has a lot more classic fall-line hiking and is typically a little narrower than the mtb trails. Also, since you will be riding the mountain bike trails it's nice to hike something different. You can also hike the XC Ski trails if there isn't snow cover but those are much wider trails.
    I think this (IAT) is a great idea. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I think this (IAT) is a great idea. Thanks!
    I bike JM year round and EC+connector only in spring/summer/fall. EC would be good to hike year round, there are hills that would be challenging on the long loop, probably not the short. The long loop has a high peak and ridge you follow with great scenery, I would check it out. I probably wouldn't hike JM or the connectors, there are other hiking only options that might be closer or have no bicycles.

If I bike Emma, the connector and JM on a weekday I usually don't see anyone on the trail and a car or two, so during the week you could hike it and not really worry too much.

IAT is a catch all, some segments are better than others but there's quite a bit to choose from.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I highly recommend the IAT in the Northern Kettles from Glenbeulah down to Kewaskum. The best part is from Parnell Tower on North to Glenbeulah. Lots of hills, views, and challenging terrain.