Help Getting a new MTB- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Help Getting a new MTB

Looking to get back into some mountain biking again. I have a friend that does a lot of single track. I started with a $600 budget - I know not much lol. I had a Specialized Epic about 10 years ago. So I do understand the quality difference. My loving wife on the other hand does not care, so now my budget its $1,800. I have 2 bikes on the radar right now. One is a new 2014 XTC Composite 29er for $1,800 and the other is a new 2015 Anthem 27.5 3 for $1,500. Im not sure if a carbon bike is right for me. Im 5'10" and 230lbs. I have no idea of the trails that are in the Chippewa Falls area. This bike would only be for trail riding, my skill level is low. Just looking for some input or other idea's. Im leaning toward a new bike just for warranty seeing Im not a wrench guy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I would swing into a few different shops and try out a bunch. You might be surprised at feels just right, might not even be on our radar. I also wouldn't rule out a fat bike. You can use it year round. I am seriously considering getting rid of my 29er and just using my fat bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Hardtail aluminum is where the best bang for the buck is in a bike. Personally I'd follow what the guy above mentioned and look all over the place, ride a bunch and keep a very open mind. They'll be one it two that really speak to you and feel great, that's the one you want.

Big fan of the Trek Superfly series bikes and love my Salsa Spearfish; both brands I'd recommend highly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I like the fat tire bikes. I rode my friend lurch and it was fun. I don't think I could keep up with my buddy on one though. Not I will be able to on any bike lol. He has a 29er hardtail. I'll check out some bike shop and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by that1guyinwi View Post
    I'll check out some bike shop and see what happens.
    Aluminum hardtail FTW. There aren't that many trails in the Midwest that require more than a decent travel (120mm) hardtail. Check out the Orbea Loki. Slack and playful, all the modern standards, with your choice of 27.5+ wheels or 29er wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Well I rode some bikes and went way over budget. I thought with me getting older and having back pain sometimes I went with a FS bike. I put money down on a 2016 Giant Anthem X 29er. Went way over budget but I think it should last me a long time. They did have a last years model Anthem 27.5 3 but for the little more the new Anthem X has a upgrade in components. Now I just need to work at paying it off and then get to riding!

mtbr member
    Awesome bike - have fun! If you haven't figured out where the local bike trails are a good start is CORBA's website:

CORBA: Chippewa Off Road Bike Association

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the link!

Members who have read this thread: 0