mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Heading to Madison from NC

Looking to do some riding on the way up and back. I hear southeastern WI is good, but I don't know any specific trails to try and hit. Any suggestions ?
    Friends of DuPont supporter

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are a lot of good trails in this part of the state. I'd recommend hitting up kettle moraine in LaGrange. The John Muir and Emma Carlin trails are both great with a lot of different loops and plenty of miles.

Camrock is another favorite of mine. Its located just south of Cambridge. Little bit shorter loops but some really fun sections there.

Closer to Madison there is Quarry Ridge and Blackhawk ski area. Both of those have some great riding too.

What days are you going to be in town?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My schedule is a bit up in the air, due to some stuff I need to finish before leaving that is weather contingent. Best guess, in the thursday-saturday window next week. Thanks for the pointers. Also looking for good camping near trails. How are the bugs ?
    Also curious if the trails you mentioned are federal,state or locally owned ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sounds good. Weather looks pretty decent next week. I don't do a lot of camping in this area because I live so close to most of the trails. There are several campgrounds in the area though. Some state parks, some private. Whitewater Lake state park is very close to the John Muir trail system I mentioned. It's nice there. There are state parks near Madison too. Just depends which trails you want to stay closest to.

Bugs are beginning to come out more now. Mosquitoes never seem to bother me much unless I stop on the trail. If I'm moving, I don't notice them much. Might want to pack some bug spray just in case.

I'm out riding several times a week in the area. If you want to shoot me a message when you're in town, I'd meet up and ride with you if I'm available. Always fun riding with people who have never been to the area. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stump12 View Post
    Sounds good. Weather looks pretty decent next week. I don't do a lot of camping in this area because I live so close to most of the trails. There are several campgrounds in the area though. Some state parks, some private. Whitewater Lake state park is very close to the John Muir trail system I mentioned. It's nice there. There are state parks near Madison too. Just depends which trails you want to stay closest to.

Bugs are beginning to come out more now. Mosquitoes never seem to bother me much unless I stop on the trail. If I'm moving, I don't notice them much. Might want to pack some bug spray just in case.

I'm out riding several times a week in the area. If you want to shoot me a message when you're in town, I'd meet up and ride with you if I'm available. Always fun riding with people who have never been to the area. Have fun.
    Great, gonna hit Brown County as well. I'll shoot you a message the day before. Thanks for the info. Sounds like a great place to break up the trip. I'll be driving a brown 1995 chevy van with nc tags. What kind of bike do you ride up there ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I had mostly ridden hard tail cross country bikes here for years. Last year I wanted something different though so I bought a Yeti SB5. It's probably a little overkill for a lot of the trails but I love it, and have been having a blast on it. What do you plan on bringing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have a 29er single speed hardtail, a 29er FS (turner sultan) and buying a emtb in Madison (fs 27.5) to take home. Not sure whether to bring the SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've never been a single speed guy but there are plenty of people who do ride them here. You'll be fine either way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'm not riding the SS much these days unless it's a smooth trail. The Sultan is much easier on my back, if there are roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are definitely roots and rocks on some of the trails I mentioned. Some more than others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If you have the time, I would drive a little further (1.5 hours) NW up to Levis Mounds. Formerly an IMBA Epic, it has some of the best trails in the state. Great climbs, views, flowy descents....it has everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-track-mind View Post
    Looking to do some riding on the way up and back. I hear southeastern WI is good, but I don't know any specific trails to try and hit. Any suggestions ?
    Here's the place for trail conditions and info while you're here. The weekly group rides are posted. I'm sure you'd get a ride guide if you shouted it on the forums.

Home Page - madcitydirt.com
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the info guys. My trip has been canceled, so I won't be making it this weekend.