Had the pleasure of meeting Gomez...- Mtbr.com
    I hate rock gardens

Had the pleasure of meeting Gomez...

As he pulled up on his mtb, sweating his butt off, to say hi to me and my buddy who were just getting ready to hit the John Muir in Palmyra last Friday. He told me about this forum and I decided to join. I can see by the Alexa rating that it is one POPULAR site too, so that means I will be able to learn a heap as well.

Anyways, my name is Jeff and I look forward to future discussions with you folks.

Jeff

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hey cool man, I'm mmik (!)

I'd like to get down to the muir trails some time, but I don't know when I will. I think it's abotu an hour and a half from me. I don't really know what to expect there, though. Have you heard about gnome-fest? Check out the sticky. I haven't been there yet, so no idea what to expect.

I need skills
    Jul 2004

but

yeah but Gomez is a popular name.

I hate rock gardens
    That may be true, but how many are mods?

I hate rock gardens
    Quote Originally Posted by mmik
    hey cool man, I'm mmik (!)

I'd like to get down to the muir trails some time, but I don't know when I will. I think it's abotu an hour and a half from me. I don't really know what to expect there, though. Have you heard about gnome-fest? Check out the sticky. I haven't been there yet, so no idea what to expect.
    I'll check it out when I get a chance.

The John Muir is pretty straight forward. Nothing overly technical IMO, but there are a lot of sand spots that slow you way down.

The Emma Carlin is a PITA...at least for me. Very technical, very tight, very slow, very winding, tight switchbacks, a few pretty steep climbs. I am pretty new to this though, so take it with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBlade
    I'll check it out when I get a chance.

The John Muir is pretty straight forward. Nothing overly technical IMO, but there are a lot of sand spots that slow you way down.

The Emma Carlin is a PITA...at least for me. Very technical, very tight, very slow, very winding, tight switchbacks, a few pretty steep climbs. I am pretty new to this though, so take it with a grain of salt.

You nailed it. Emma is a techy, sweaty, grinding little beast and Muir is a flowy fun fest for all.

If you havent tried it out yet, make sure to give the Connector loop a whirl. It runs from the overlook on Emma's Green loop to the Blue loop of John Muir. It contains a wonderful blend of the aspects that are so enjoyable from both trail systems. Very techy at some points, and then all out blast-able in other spots. It may be the best trail in SE WI in my opinion.

Welcome to the site!

I hate rock gardens
    Thanks for the welcome.

My biggest problem with Emma is not having my balance in proper position 75% of the time to make all the twists and proper lines on the rock gardens. Sure is a whole different animal when you only have a couple inches at most to play with at times as opposed to a sidewalk or road.

Body position and proper balance is so critical it blows my mind away.

We do the connectors every single time. We park on the "secret side roads that everybody knows about" and it is smack in the middle of the 2 trails.

=========
    Hey Jeff!

Welcome to the boards. I've been away from computer access since Saturday morning, so this is the first chance I've had to reply.

g

I hate rock gardens
    Thanks man. My buddy and I will probably be back out there this weekend again. I have 10 lbs I want to lose. This year long layoff has been a little bit involved with sucking down the barley and hops beverages.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinBlade
    I'm not overly fond of the steep climbs with gravel and water bars. The tight and twisty stuff can be lot of fun. Very little is too tight IMO.

Walt

I hate rock gardens
    I hope my description of Emma was not taken to be unfavorable. Quite the opposite is true. It is an exceptional trail. My skill level is about as novice as it gets, so it really kicks my butt...it was also the very first trail I ever rode mtb on. It wasn't quite like a lot of mtb vids I saw on YouTube.

Until my skill and stamina improve, I am still going to say it is a PITA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=Bobby12many]You nailed it. Emma is a techy, sweaty, grinding little beast and Muir is a flowy fun fest for all.

Muir used to be flowy..Sorry but I feel it has lost its orinal feel since most of the new additions are pretty twisty.

Members who have read this thread: 1