Grand Marais, MN- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Grand Marais, MN

Has anybody ever been up to Grand Marais?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haven't been up there in a few years (probably more like 10 years) but I use to go up there quite a bit. I didn't do a whole lot of mountain biking up there though. I would generally go for the XC skiing in the winter or paddling in the Boundary waters and hiking the nearby state park trails in the summer.

Pincushion Mountain http://www.pincushiontrails.org/ is right outside of Grand Marias and allows mountain biking. It's a ski trail system so the trails are wide, but there are plenty of hills. I do recall the trail system being a bit wet in places so best to hit it during the dryer season. I remember checking out a public guide of mountain bike trails in the area that had mostly forest roads listed. I'm not talking about old abandoned forest roads, but the gravely ones that get regular auto traffic. Not exactly my idea of mtn biking.

It didn't seem like mountain biking was promoted much up there but that was 10 years ago and things may have changed. Looks like you just missed out on biking at Lutsen Mounatin (see other thread on this forum) nearby. Your best bet would be to search around the internet and see if there is some biking club in the area. The last time I was up there, there wasn't much of an internet going, so maybe you'll have more luck finding good trails to ride. They definitely have the terrain for mtn biking.

The Minnesota North Shore is an amazing place for hiking though (short day hikes or backpacking). There are state parks along the Lake Superior shoreline every 20 miles or so and just about every one of them has hiking trails to some pretty cool waterfalls. Tettegouche is probably my favorite (though they are all good), it has several inland waterfalls plus some great hiking along the shoreline and cliffs. Also check out Palisade Head (some high cliffs over the Lake) right next to Tettegouche. Cascade River State Park and Temperance River State Park also have some great hiking. Further inland, you can also hike up to Eagle Mountain in the Boundary Waters, or even consider renting a canoe and seeing the Boundary Waters the way it was intended.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I live in the Grand Marais area, I was just asking if anybody ever came up here. We do have a mtn biking club, and they made new trails on Pincushion with jumps and other fun stuff. I really wanted to try going to lutsen this summer, that really sucks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well excuse me for not realizing that you were literally asking "Has anybody ever been up to Grand Marais?'

In which case my answer is:
    Yes, somebody has.

I hope that helps.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Weird Eh
    Very Cool town. I used to go up the Gunflint and canoe the BWCA.

He be a moose too.
    I hiked the Superior Hiking Trail (220 miles long) and the Grand Marais bike shop was nice enough to let my friend drop off my bike on his way to Canada and they stored it gratis. I bought bunch of stuff as a thanks, though. Friendly folks and they told me that there is a fair amount of riding in the area. The entire shore of the lake is a really nice area too. When you are in G.M., stop by the bike shop, have a talk with them and buy the maps they sell.

방랑외국인
    I think the relatively short season coupled with the driving distance keeps most folks away from the Superior shore. Now that is Lutsen has done away with MTB, I think the immediate outlook is pretty bleak, especially with rising gas prices. Lutsen was an actual potentially great XC and North-Shore, life lift accessible type location, but they have decided not to go down that route. Personally, there is no reason for us in Wisco to drive 7-9 hrs to northern MN when you have the UP which is closer, and has progressively developing mountain biking scene. Come to think of it, I could drive another 6 or 7 and be in the Colorado mountains!

The Superior Hiking Trail is incredible for hiking June - August...I did a week on it a while ago and was drooling at some of the MTB possibilities. Some sections you would have to hike-a-bike for sure, but overall it would have been some great mountain biking. There were many large rocks and roller and drop type places that would have been really, really fun. I am not advocating this as it is hike only, but it sure would be fun MTBing

He be a moose too.
    I think Motard speaks wisdom here. There is a lot to do on the shore and should you come up for a lot of the other things to do, be sure to bring your bike along. I have ridden extensively on the Superior Hiking Trail. It was never legal (but it wasn't posted either) but back in the day, you could ride/hike all day long, as long as you were away a mile away from the popular places such as Gooseberry, and you wouldn't see a soul. That's changed now, it is posted and has increased in popularity 10x. I used to live in Duluth, so spent a lot of time on the shore.

When people say 'north shore riding', I don't know why people think of the Vancouver area. To me, North Shore has always been and will always mean the lake.

'Guin

banned
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    When people say 'north shore riding', I don't know why people think of the Vancouver area. To me, North Shore has always been and will always mean the lake.
    'cause that's where freeriding started!

"Back in the day" of wooden ships, iron men and rigid forks.

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten
    'cause that's where freeriding started...rigid forks.
    Oh, I know that's where it started. Just poking a stick at you Canucks a little bit and revealing my background as one from Minnesota. As far as the rigid forks go, I'm an old school Klein fan and for those of you who aren't familiar with those...those are RIGID forks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Apr 2006
    Yeah I canoed in the BW a couple times, even skied Lutsen once back in high school.

I'm in Mpls. for a wk to give my aged mom some post pacemaker implantation care.

But sheeeeesh, ski hills have just closed and too muddy to mtb.

Timing is everything.

ps-lookin' at those forks makes my wrists ache.

Members who have read this thread: 0