Jan 2004

good shop in madison, wi?

moving to madison
    can some one recommend
    a good shop?

Lone Wolf
    Jul 2003

Too many to choose from.

There are alot of decent shops in Madison, it all depends on what your looking for. Budget bikes has all kinds of stuff in their umpteen shops on Regent street. not too far away is Willy's bike which is a pretty nice place too. Eriks bikes has the most freeride and dh bikes i've seen in Madison. There are a bunch others around too, but those are the ones I usually go to.

mtbr member

Agree with Rocklymm

It all depends what you're looking for. Erik's has a good selection of high end bikes, both road, mountain, and free ride. Budget has just about anything you could ever need...I go there when I need an odd small part...for instance, they'll have every front derailleur clamp and swing in stock. Their used bike selection is pretty impressive also. Willy Bikes has some really nice frames hanging on the wall (Sevens, Pinnarellos, etc...) I'd shop around and find one you like.

Madison is a great riding town!

monkey's throw poo
    Jun 2004

Idea! the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    It all depends what you're looking for. Erik's has a good selection of high end bikes, both road, mountain, and free ride. Budget has just about anything you could ever need...I go there when I need an odd small part...for instance, they'll have every front derailleur clamp and swing in stock. Their used bike selection is pretty impressive also. Willy Bikes has some really nice frames hanging on the wall (Sevens, Pinnarellos, etc...) I'd shop around and find one you like.

Madison is a great riding town!
    machinery row on john nolan/willy street or the trek store on mineral point, the guys at both places are great!
    two six is bet-ta

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzy
    moving to madison
    can some one recommend
    a good shop?
    The Yellow Jersey has to be mentioned as the quintessential Madison bike shop. Started as a co-op, stocked parts to make mountain bikes before they were even available as a finished product, sold me the 3rd SumpJumper they'd ever seen, sold and supported single speeds before it was a born again fad and to this day always has the parts to keep you going when others do not, and Andy is a legendary wheel builder. They support the commuter or person uses bikes for transportation, and have supported cycling in general for decades.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    The Yellow Jersey has to be mentioned as the quintessential Madison bike shop. Started as a co-op, stocked parts to make mountain bikes before they were even available as a finished product, sold me the 3rd SumpJumper they'd ever seen, sold and supported single speeds before it was a born again fad and to this day always has the parts to keep you going when others do not, and Andy is a legendary wheel builder. They support the commuter or person uses bikes for transportation, and have supported cycling in general for decades.

I've always gotten a nasty feeling from the employees when I go there, like I'm not welcome if I'm not bike obsessed and made of money . I stopped in one day, and asked to borrow an allen to tighten my crank bolts. All I need was to use the wrench for like 10 seconds. The dude grabbed my bike, put in on a stand, took out my crankbolts, regreased them, tightened them, checked some other stuff....Anyway, I'm thinking "wow, what a nice guy". Then he starts writing out a bill for the 2-4 minutes of work he did that I didn't even ask for. I told him I hadn't requested that service and I wouldn't pay for it. Dude got real upset but I got out without paying him anything. All I wanted was to use the stupid wrench, not have him do any sort of service on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Drop Off
    I've always gotten a nasty feeling from the employees when I go there, like I'm not welcome if I'm not bike obsessed and made of money . I stopped in one day, and asked to borrow an allen to tighten my crank bolts. All I need was to use the wrench for like 10 seconds. The dude grabbed my bike, put in on a stand, took out my crankbolts, regreased them, tightened them, checked some other stuff....Anyway, I'm thinking "wow, what a nice guy". Then he starts writing out a bill for the 2-4 minutes of work he did that I didn't even ask for. I told him I hadn't requested that service and I wouldn't pay for it. Dude got real upset but I got out without paying him anything. All I wanted was to use the stupid wrench, not have him do any sort of service on the bike.
    They have a self-service area where I've never been charged for using tools, help poor people with bike transportation as well as help bike organizations which probably makes them better than many bike businesses and riders in the area.

Witty McWitterson
    I can't say I've ever been nothing but impressed w/YJ. If anything, they're TOO helpful. All I bought was chainrings...
    Just a regular guy.

Sweep the leg!
    If you want qualified help try Cronometro or Revolution Cycles. If you want qualified help with an attitude try Yellow Jersey. If you come armed with a shot of espresso, Andy is more docile. If you want a good price wait until Budget, Willy Bike or Erik's has a sale. If you need an obscure part go to Yellow Jersey or Budget. If you want swim suits & soccer equipment try Village Pedaler or Middleton Cycle. If you want inbred BMXers try Madison Bicycle Company. If you want brainwashed help try the Trek Factory Store. Who did I forget?