Going to Levis Mound soon for the first time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Going to Levis Mound soon for the first time

My buddy and I are making the 6 hour drive to Levis Mound trail to ride pretty soon. We will probably ride June 13th & 15th. I was just wondering if there are any issues I need to be aware of ahead of time. Like any races going on, or stay off this section of trail, etc.. Also, is the trail sectioned off where we can ride the first half of the trail one day and the last half the next day? Thanks for any info.
    Sam
    [08 Ibis Mojo Carbon]

Bear

Oh yeah.....

You can have a great time at Levis for two days.

Trail map: http://service.govdelivery.com/docs/...0071210_en.pdf

Park at the main lot off of Fisher AVE.

Ride #1 = Upper Glen - Lower Glen - Swamp Cut - Yellow Jacket - Sidewinder - Buck Hill - Goat Dance (either clockwise or CCW) - Buck Hill - Fox Hole Hill - Upper Hermosa - Hermosa - Lower Hermosa - Dead Turkey - Select Cut - Warmup - Snodgrass

Sounds like a lot but if you follow the route above while looking at the map you'll understand. This covers some seriously nice trail without going up and down on the mound.

Break for lunch

Then move onto the stuff up on the mounds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RotarySam
    My buddy and I are making the 6 hour drive to Levis Mound trail to ride pretty soon. We will probably ride June 13th & 15th. I was just wondering if there are any issues I need to be aware of ahead of time. Like any races going on, or stay off this section of trail, etc.. Also, is the trail sectioned off where we can ride the first half of the trail one day and the last half the next day? Thanks for any info.
    Sam
    The only race of the year (at Levis) is happening on June 28th.

www.wemseries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Oh yeah, it's a good time. Only advice I have is to check, recheck, then check your bike again. We drove for an hour last Tuesday and I must have had a loose chainring bolt and I folded my chainring two minutes into the ride. I fixed it (Surly ring) but didn't really get to see much of the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

WEMS Race

I am planning on doing the Levi Trow 50 here is a few weeks. Are the trails they have planned for the 12.5 mile loop some of the best? I hear we will be taking a road up so we won't have to climb as much on the single track, is that correct?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the info. I was planning on bringing all of my tools with me in case I run into a problem with the bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    Ride #1 = Upper Glen - Lower Glen - Swamp Cut - Yellow Jacket - Sidewinder - Buck Hill - Goat Dance (either clockwise or CCW) - Buck Hill - Fox Hole Hill - Upper Hermosa - Hermosa - Lower Hermosa - Dead Turkey - Select Cut - Warmup - Snodgrass

Sounds like a lot but if you follow the route above while looking at the map you'll understand. This covers some seriously nice trail without going up and down on the mound.

Break for lunch

Then move onto the stuff up on the mounds.
    How many miles do you think your Ride #1 is? My buddy is pretty new at riding, but he's committed to riding here that's why I was planning on splitting it up over two days. Should we ride the mounds section another day? How long would you say that part is?

What section is the one with the cliff that I keep seeing in pictures? Cliffhanger? I want to make sure and do that part. Thanks.
    [08 Ibis Mojo Carbon]

Bear

Levis stuff....

WEMS Course - http://wemseries.com/2008_Course_Map_FINAL.pdf
    First 3/4 should be relatively fast.....last 1/4 will be more technical and have a few good grunts uphill.

Rotary - For Ride #1 that I outlined it is probably 10-12 miles. Not too terrible for a new but committed rider. The stuff on the mound is more technical. Cliffhanger is the trail that has a pretty sleep downslope and may be what you are thinking of. Sidewinder is also has some cliff exposure and is a really awesome piece of trail. If it's the big "photo op" cliffs you are thinking of those are mainly offshoots from the trails on top of the mounds. Seriously, climb the mounds and explore until you are dead tired.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks a lot. That's exactly the information I was looking for.
    [08 Ibis Mojo Carbon]

Bear

Distance....

Hey Rotary,

Might be a bit longer than I quoted.....forgot I threw Goat Dance in there. It's still my favorite first loop at Levis.

Have fun,

Bear

Members who have read this thread: 0