Getting married in June. Plans to take our bikes with.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Getting married in June. Plans to take our bikes with.

So we're a couple of crazy kids who are going from Kewaskum, to the Dells, and then over to Door County in a weeklong honeymoon. I'm gonna guess 12-15 hours of driving total, without ever leaving Wisconsin.

But we're looking for opportunity for biking somewhere between all the driving and swimming. I'm sure somewhere between the dells and door county there will be some nice trails, but that three hour drive might not be good to break up like that. Does anyone know of any trails we should hit up during our trip? Especially if there's something nice near door county. More specifically, we'll be staying in Bailey's harbor, so if anyone knows anything cool to check out besides nearby trails, please let us know!

Sconie
    Wausau is sorta of on the way from the dells to Door County, 9mile rec area has lots a great singletrack.

You will pass by Green Bay also and Biards Creek is on the East End of town right off HWY 43, the single track there is great. Bairds is all single track if thats what you want, but Green Bay also has the Reforestation Camp which is a mix of flowing single track and doubletrack.

There isn't much single track in Door County, I used to live there and it was mostly paths and multi-use trails versus actual mountain bike singletrack. Ryan Park in Kewaunnee wouldn't be too far out of your way up the peninsula. The single track there is great as well.

All the above assumes you were looking for more singltrack type of trails, if multi use trails are more your thing Peninsula State Part in Fish Creek and Potawatomi park in Sturgeon bay are full of pretty fun relaxed trails (double track xc ski trail type of trails).

Have fun and enjoy your time in Northeast Wisconsin, especially the door peninsula.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Congrats, being married is great.
    since you labeled yourselves as crazy I suggest you drive a bit out of your way and hit the Nicolet Roche.
    From 9 mile in Wausau take Hwy 52 to Antigo, then Hwy 64 to Langlade & hwy 55. South on 55 to the Bear Paw, where you will spend the night. (Or if your budget is higher check out Jessie's Wolf river lodge).
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Or if you are feeling really crazy you could try the Underdown near Merrill which is just north of Wausau. Makes Nine Mile seem like a cake walk.

Fat Tire Guides - The Underdown

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks yea, we're looking for simgletrack. Though some nice scenic double would be ok near Bailey's harbor later in the week.

Already driving a ton that week though, so I'm hoping wherever we end up going isn't much out of the way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wausau Area and north has some great biking, but it would be out of the way. Cascade Mountain near Portage is close to the Dells and has trails. Never been there myself and can't seem to find any maps or info, but they hosted a race last year and this year have a national level race so assuming they are solid trails.

Heading from Dells to Door Co, take 39 N to either 23 W towards Ripon, or 21 W towards Oshkosh. I make the drive for work and 23 is usually the fastest way back to 41, 21 wouldn't take you too far off course. Off of 21- Nordic Mountain near Wild Rose has challenging trails (Cascade hosts their race now), and off 23 Ripon College Ceresco Prairie has about a mile of really nice professional built single track and more miles of gravel.

As mentioned earlier, Baird Creek or Reforestation camp in GB are both worth the stop. I personally like Baird better, it is more challenging and less well marked though. I'm not aware of any single track in Door Co, Peninsula State park has double track ski trail I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Peninsula Park has some decent single track now also.

clown question, bro
    Not too far out of Waupaca is Hartman Creek as well. It's ~10 miles and nothing technical, but it's pretty fun, fairly flowy singletrack.

Congrats, btw... getting married here on May 31. Couldn't convince the lady to incorporate any biking into the honeymoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I rode Hartman Creek today. Lots of fun. You could also check out Standing Rock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    Congrats, btw... getting married here on May 31. Couldn't convince the lady to incorporate any biking into the honeymoon.
    Haha sorry; she was the one that suggested it! I'm really a lucky guy.

Congrats though!

clown question, bro
    Hartman's open?!?!?

That's always a great beginning-of-year-too-fat-from-winter ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    officially on the honeymoon, and we got our bikes with us. still not sure where we're going, but we'll figure something out i guess. we're at the wilderness in the dells now, and our bikes are in our room. lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    actually hartman creek looks easy to get to. maybe we'll be able to go there tomorrow on our way to door county.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    devil's head is open. I am headed to the Dell's later this week and might try it. When in DC give Peninsula Park a ride. Not very technical, but the scenery is great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    is peninsula park doubletrack? If all that's in DC is double, that's fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    there are a few sections of singletrack in Peninsula Park. I rode there 3 weeks ago and some sections were still under water. I would guess everything is open now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We managed to make it to hartman that week, after leaving the dells. Was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed Stacey getting scared from all of the silk worms. : P