Garlic Mustard (Blue Mound washing station at trail head).- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Garlic Mustard (Blue Mound washing station at trail head).

Hi,

Please remember to wash your tires thoroughly at the Blue Mound trail head _before_ you ride there. There is a lot of Garlic Mustard at some of the riding areas around here and Blue Mound is home to protected plant life. This is an important part of our keeping the good relationship with all of the user groups in the park.

Thank you.

bicycle dreamer
    I just want to add in that if it's possible, you should bring a brush to any trailhead (especially the Southern Kettles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) to brush off your tires to help keep the spread of this noxious weed to a minimum.

GM seeds are super tiny, stick in the mud and will get carried by your tires to wherever you go. They sprout when you don't think they will, and as a lot of you can see - it's a massive commitment to get rid of the plants in any area where they have become established.

Keep the trails natural! Do your part!
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

I need skills
    Jul 2004

wash bikes after you ride too.

the places with bike washes are great. people should be washing bikes after they ride so as to not bring "stuff" with them when they leave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson
    the places with bike washes are great. people should be washing bikes after they ride so as to not bring "stuff" with them when they leave.
    Many sites do not have a wash station and they're often full of invasive species. Thus, the wash before the ride.

Many do (wash after a ride), but I see people riding without ahead of time and every year I spend time pulling it (the weed) at the trail head. The urban riding areas are full of it and yesterday I rode at one of the highest use areas around and it's a mess as far as invasive species.

I realize my concerns and observations are probably different than most because I work with land managers, a friends group and I also work with a horse trail activist and ATV trail activist. In general it seems like riders have to do more for the greater good or outside of their own shell. I base it on the people I work with locally and upon having friends who do trail work, management and advocacy in other areas and for other sports.

I appreciate your concern, and hope to meet more riders at our next trail day - June 1, Blue Mound State Park.

Thank you.

bicycle dreamer
    I work in Slinger during the week, and when I'm not working with this Land Trust I'm in Madison at a shop. I'm also racing WORS / WEMS so it's hard to get out to the trailhead for workdays - other than what's around here.

Good luck with Blue Mounds, I did trail building there a few years back, I would like to get out and so it some more that's for sure.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

Members who have read this thread: 0