G.E.A.R.S. - Glacial Edge Area Riding Society- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

G.E.A.R.S. - Glacial Edge Area Riding Society

G.E.A.R.S. has been revitalized and is back with a vengeance. Originally founded by Rich Ramsey several years ago in support of the New Fane area of the Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest. In recent years G.E.A.R.S. had fallen off the map and had lost direction. Although this wasn't without some nice contributions during its existance such as a shelter and bike wash at New Fane.

Unfortunately G.E.A.R.S. never really got off the ground and lacked local support and slowly faded away. All at the most inopportune time as well. Two major trail projects began in the Northern Kettle Moraine. Also a trail system in West Bend was slowly developing and new biking opportunities had developed outside of Fond du Lac.

A core group of advocates who had been working independently have collaborated and combined forces, along with the original founder, to reincarnate G.E.A.R.S. We are now covering the entire Northern Kettle Moraine as well as the parks in West Bend and Fond du Lac. If you are a Mountain Biker local to these areas and enjoy riding and hope to see continued growth of our sport in this region than you need to get involved. Riding and our trail systems are not a right they are a privilege.

Our first major project will be to complete loop 4 at Greenbush and construct a bike wash. We will be having trail days every Saturday starting April 3rd, soil condition permitting, through the middle of May. Meeting place will be the upper parking lot at 8:00 am. Find G.E.A.R.S. on Facebook or PM me for more details. You don't need to be a member to volunteer. Everyone is welcome and we would appreciate your contributions.

G.E.A.R.S. are the stewards of the mountain bike trail systems of Greenbush, New Fane, Glacial Blue Hills and Keikhafer Park. Our mission is to keep existing trails open, maintained and continually work for more and improved trails for all levels of mountain bikers through education, advocacy, and volunteer action. G.E.A.R.S. is a WORBA chapter and IMBA affiliated. Stay tuned for more details and membership information.
    Last edited by DekerfTeamST; 03-11-2010 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice!

Best wishes for your club's success.

Walt

=========
    Nice! - You know you'll see me at a work day up there Randy!

We hafta hit that bar with the crazy name again...Fudgie-Knucklez?

g

mtbr member
    Lol, how about the story where the bartender comes to the trail day. A haze'd memory tells me that was a pretty funny situation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by serotonin
    Lol, how about the story where the bartender comes to the trail day. A haze'd memory tells me that was a pretty funny situation.
    Next time Bethany needs to hand her a pulaski instead of sending her on her way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. Many different thoughts were entertained in regards to what was the best approach for supporting these great trail systems. The collective group thought this was the best approach for continuing existing relationships and as well as building new relationships.

One thing for sure is Kettlepalooza was driving force behind the motivation for making this happen and I thank everyone for that.

Weird Eh
    Let me know when your next work day over nighter is. It was good times

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Over Nighter Anytime

Hay Blatz. We can have an over nighter when ever you guys want to come up. I live just down the road from the trail head. I've got a big yard, plenty of room for camping, and a fire pit. We're going to be working on loop 4 every Saturday from April 3rd until mid May. Talk to Gomez and we'll plan something out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Meeting with the head gate keeper, Jerry L., of the State Forest on Tuesday. Should have more details in regards to trail building and other projects. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    I live in Saukville, so Blue Hills is my "local" trail. It has always been well kept by the West Bend locals, but its great to hear that an organized group has taken up the role of "steward."

I don't have a lot of time (I've got three kids under the age of five), but if you do any work at blue hills make sure to post it, and I'll see what I can do to get away.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    I live in Saukville, so Blue Hills is my "local" trail. It has always been well kept by the West Bend locals, but its great to hear that an organized group has taken up the role of "steward."

I don't have a lot of time (I've got three kids under the age of five), but if you do any work at blue hills make sure to post it, and I'll see what I can do to get away.
    The locals you speak of that keep the trails up are some of the same people who are involved in organizing this group. It is just that now we have an official name. I'll be sure to keep you informed as to any trail work that may occur at Blue Hills. Be sure to join the G.E.A.R.S. facebook page as that is where most announcements will be made. Although I'll try to keep this forum updated as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Meeting Outcome and Project Preview

Hello Everyone,

The G.E.A.R.S. crew had a very productive meeting last night with the Forest Superintendent. We have his endorsement of several short-term and larger long-term projects. Exciting stuff in the works but we need your help to make it happen. The following are our immediate goals that we hope to finish by mid May at Greenbush.

• Finish Loop 4
    • Construct Loop 2 to 1 Connector Trail to eliminate two-way traffic
    • Construct Bike Wash

Short Term Goals to continue to work on include;
    • Construct Loop 3 Short-Cut
    • "You Are Here" Trail Maps throughout the systems of Greenbush and New Fane

We will start trail work Saturday April 3rd. Departing the lower parking lot of the Greenbush trail system at 8:00am sharp. This is a change from the previously mentioned meeting place (upper lot) as we were unsure if the lower lot gate would be open. Hope to see you then.

Thanks,

Randy Wegener

Members who have read this thread: 0