FS or HT for Chequamegon singletrack ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

FS or HT for Chequamegon singletrack ?

Goin there this wkend, doing the more technical trails, ie Ojibwe, Rock Lake, Hatchery Creek ... any recommendations on whether to go with my XC hardtail f600 Cannondale, or my more AM full sus Fisher Hifi ?

thx, Ian

I need skills
    Jul 2004

both bikes are light weight trail bikes.

either will be fine.

Witty McWitterson
    Either would be fine, but you'll be able to ride all of it with the HiFi with out killing your back.
    Just a regular guy.

dumb ass
    so, what did you ride??
    Baby seal walks into a club.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, I rode the hifi for all the single track I did.. Ojibwe and Rock lake trails ... which are pretty rooty/rocky ... i set the susp pretty plush and my buds on their bouncy hardtails had a time keepin up with me... full susp truly does climb better when its technical climbing.

I rode the hardtail cannondale on the Short and Fat route preride (Im racing that one this fall), its better suited to that as its open nontechnical fireroad/doubletrack, and the my weight pimped f600 climbs like a goat on that smoother stuff ... Ill say tho, that Short and Fat is a pure evil amount of climbing, sheesh ...

It was a great wkend, a cool group of friends, weather cooled off nicely for great riding ....Kudos to the singletrack builders up there ... all that lovely singletrack is pure pleasure.

-Ian

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm riding the short and fat for the 1st time. Never even been in that part of WI for a race. I've tried to search for a course description with no luck. Any links to a semi-detailed course description for the short and fat?

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the Short and Fat but have done the 40 several years. The 40 and 16 share a good deal of trail. It's mostly wide double-track with a thin, beaten down path down the middle. The course is mostly rolling hills and completely nontechnical. The climbs are short by most standards (compared to, say, ski hill races here in the Midwest or the monster sustained climbs of races out West) and the descents are quite manageable. The scene is more the thing for the Fat Tire as ~2500 folks participate. It's well organized and very well staffed. I've seen people riding 'cross bikes, rigid SSers, Pugsleys, etc. so pick the gear you are comfortable on and go. Hope that helps...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode the Short and Fat course last year, didn't race it. (doing the 40 this year)

The Short and Fat is like multiaxial described. All I'd add is that a fair amount of the course (like midway until the finish) is rolling, cross country ski trails. Think open, 40-foot-wide green grass paths with a single (maybe 2) dirt trails in it. The climbs are not long, but some are steep and they seem like there's a never-ending succession of them. The dirt path is faster, but everyone wants to be on it, so to pass, you may have to take to the grass.

Also be aware that even though the grass looks smooth, it's not always that way, especially on the bases of some of the faster descents. It's no Mount Snow, but those rough/loose sections can catch the unwary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    OP here ... howdy!

So, any tire recommendations for the shortnfat course? Im racing on my cannondale f600 hardtail ... was thinking of using a pair of hutch pythons i have, for lack of better ideas. Cornering lugs seem to be a non issue on this course, theres no technical, and no sharp turning, but some decent tire volume might help float on the grass for passing etc... ?

Iowagriz, Ill see u in the race, say hi, ill be on the flourescent sobe green headshockd cannondale. U from IA? I went to College at Grinnell, live in twin cities, MN now.

-Ian

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Living in Des Moines. Originally from MT. Will probably wear my Montana Griz jersey (thus my name). Sorry to hijack the thread for the course description. I have a old Sugar 2 and am thinking of purchasing a 29er hardtail in the near future. Might have to make the purchase in time for the race.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Sweet, I dont have a prob with IA, but why leave MT? Thats heaven on earth ... Ill be backpacking n trout fishin in the Beartooths in less than 2 weeks, cant wait ... I love it there.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think Pythons would be fine. I know guys who were on them last year and had no issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0