The Friggin Dells?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Friggin Dells?

Any trails around Wisconsin Dells...going there on Friday and hoping to escape tourist-ville with some single track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Couple of Choices

I would recommend Levis Mounds. About an hour drive northwest of the Dells. Nice mix of ALL SINGLETRACK trails. Tight slow stuff in dense woods, faster stuff through somewhat open woods, then there are trails that go up and around the 'mound'. Lot's of fun stuff to play around on. You can ride a good 20 miles without hitting the same section twice. Trails do have some sand sections, but nothing that bad. Some good technical rocky sections on the mound. Here's a website with all the 411 - LEVIS MOUNDS .

Another option is Black River Falls State Park. Okay for MTB'g. IMO trails are a bit lame. Mostly all doubletrack XC ski trails. Nothing tight or technical. Lots of small climbs and descents. Quite a bit of sand, especially at the bottom of each hill. Would require a state park vehicle and trail pass.

Also, Devil's Head Ski Resort is nearby in Merrimac. It's a private resort that has some MTB trails. No lift service, have to hump it up the mountain. Trails are singletrack scattered around the resort. Not a lot of mileage as of two summers ago (last time I was there). Trails were a good mix of technical/fast. Trail fee of $7 paid at the resort front desk. When I was there, they hand out a really lame map. Not very accurate. No real trail signage. Plan on a bit of exploring and frustration the first time out. Devil's Head has been discussed quite a bit on this board recently - check the past threads.

That's all I came up with off hand. I'm sure some others will chip in.

mtbr member

Good job! I second Levis Trow Mound!

Go to Levis - there are great trails there.. Lots of XC double track that you can avoid most of the time.. I think we did about 26 mi of riding there the last time we went.

Some of the trails are marked very well - get the map and keep your eyes open.. there is one path that goes thru to large rocks - pretty good for pics and all.
    "To Name me, is to label me." -
    Michi or Dick Van Patton