First time ride at Levi's Mound- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First time ride at Levi's Mound

I made it out to Levi's for the first time today. An endurace race was going on with 3, 6, and 12 hour classes, but all the fun trails up on top of the mounds were outside the race course. I have to agree with all the trail reviews that compare Levi's to trails out West. There really are a lot of points where a photo from this comparatively small sandstone bluff here in WI could pass for something from the Rockies. Wonderful trails, easily worth driving a couple hours to check them out. Cliffhanger is a blast, and the bridges on Toad Road (the plumber's crack) are a lot of fun too.

Custom User Title
    where is this? Is it by Blue mounds?
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Bear

Levis...

North East of Black River Falls. Awesome trails. Blue Mounds is near Madison and is more technical but not as long.
    Bear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Levis trail report 7/2/05

Rode pretty much the whole MTB network on 7/2/05. Trails were in great condition, except almost every trail of decent length had deadfall trees blocking the trail - must have been some strong stongs lately. Snodgras was even dry - for the most part. The new reroute on Upper Hermosa is great. It gets rid of that mission impossible eroding sand hill climb, and adds a couple of nice switchbacks on top of that mound (thanks trail crew!).

Toad Road/North Face/Cliff Hanger/Porky's Point is one of the sweetest sections of trails in the state. Technical climbing/descents/rock gardens/bridges/scenic views - you name it, it's got it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    so if my buddy and I had to choose between levis or camba area which would you pick assuming you've ridden up in the camba region? We've never been to levis but have read good reviews, is it very crowded?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Camba

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    so if my buddy and I had to choose between levis or camba area which would you pick assuming you've ridden up in the camba region? We've never been to levis but have read good reviews, is it very crowded?
    Hands down I would go to CAMBA. Levis is a great network, but it does not compare to CAMBA in a few aspects:

1) Levis is one area - about 20 total miles of singletrack. The trails are diverse and challenging. CAMBA is several clusters (I think 4 or 5?) of trail networks. Each one matches Levis in mileage, although not all the trails are singletrack. CAMBA has a good mix of gravel roads, old jeep/forest roads/snowmobile routes (basically 4' wide trials), and singletrack. If you want a fast easy ride - chose a route that is open forest roads and crank it out. If you want a slow, deep in the woods singletrack ride - pick one out and hit it.
    2) Levis has some unique trails, so does CAMBA. CAMBA has Ojibwe (sweet 10-12 mile all tight singletrack), Rock Lake (believe it's being redone - mileage?), the warm-up trail with ladder bridges behind Telemark resort, and it's also got the Birkie (the 40' cross country ski trail that is about 30' wide and non stop ups and downs - kind of like a rollercoast, except you have to get yourself to the top each time, it may sound lame, but it's fun to ride the downhills).
    3) Levis is kind of out in the middle of nowhere. CAMBA is really out in the middle of nowhere! The scenery is equal at both areas. Last week while driving away from Levis (about 10 miles away) I saw a coyote or wolf? cross the road then stay in the woods near the road for a while - pretty cool. At CAMBA you could see a mountain lion (actually that probably wouldn't be a cool encounter).

I don't know where you're coming from, but I'm guessing CAMBA would be a longer drive. It's definitely worth it. I'd suggest you give it a full 2 days for riding. That will let you venture out on a couple of different trails/clusters. Morning ride on a gravel/logging road route, afternoon on some singletrack - for example.

I'm sure you'll be happy either way. Let us know what you end up doing!

Witty McWitterson
    Seeing as that I only live about an hour from Levis, that's where I'd go. Hands down. I'm not saying that CAMBA is bad perse, its just that I've been there SO much that its atually a tad boring. I do ahve to admit though, I haven't been there to ride the new trails. Much. I did do Ojibwa a year or so back. BUt I broke my frame on it, so I didn't get a chance to complete it. I may try to get up there this fall.

Point is though, if you haven't been to Levis, do go there instead. Its always fun to ride a new trail ain't it? Plus, if you camp there(on Lake Arbutus), there's a nice bar/resturant across the street. You're also close enough to LaCrosse to hit up HPT too if its not too far out of the way of your travels.
    Just a regular guy.