Emma 4-10-10- Mtbr.com

Thread: Emma 4-10-10

=========

Emma 4-10-10

April 10th turned into an Emma Carlin ‘ride to work’ day. Our largest group of this season gathered, while TBDave worked out getting the trails opened with the DNR. Thanks Uncle Dave !!! We welcomed several new (first time) volunteers at Saturday’s session. Thank you for joining our trail building family! The word is spreading about what the eSpeCially CrAzy Irregular TrailBuildin’ Crew is constructing for mountain bike riders at the southern kettles. The ride out was casual and really fun! We rode several sections of the singletrack that the crew , worked on, a year ago. Some of the folks, chose to hike and brought extra tools on their way out to the work area. The area that we worked on is all bonus trail because the DNR has urged us to ADD more trail, bringing the ‘Full Monty’ mileage to THIRTY MILES! We added a really nice new bench-cut section to the Emma that hugs the contours of a large, oblong kettle on its way up towards the overlook. Lots of really nice lines were crafted on several sections with stone from the surrounding ridges and kettles. I can’t wait to ride it, on our way out to next week’s trail building!

Pictures at SouthernKettles.Org

mtbr member
    I would love to go. I had to work this sat. But next sat i am off. Any one coming up from greenfield? Meet up on the way down there. Would i need to bring any thing there tool wise Do you bring your bike too?

=========
    No Tools are required. A pair of work gloves and clothing that offers some protection from thorns and insects is recommended. We did ride to the work area last week (as mentioned above) and I think that'll be the case for next week's session, as well.

Click around the SouthernKettles.Org site and you'll find everything you want to know about the eSpeCially CrAzy Irregular TrailBuildin’ Crew, but were afraid to ask.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Trailbuilding video

The trailbuilding video from this weekend is up and running at the South Kettle Moraine Trail building Update page on Facebook, Southernkettles.org, Youtube and Vimeo. Have fun watching and feel free to join us next weekend on Saturday @ 8:30am in the Emma Carlin parking lot for even more trailbuildin' fun!!!

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10888382&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=10888382&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/10888382">Trailbuildin' at Emma Carlin</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3429002">Martin Tank II</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

mtbr member
    I Was out on the EmmaCarlin trails this evening, and they are in wonderful condition.

I damn near went over the bars when 2 geese took off from one of the ponds scared the **** outta me.... I was mere millimeters from goin down into the slop.

Great experience on my first kettle ride this year! I forgot how incredibly fun the downhill section of the red loop is.

mtbr member
    Thank you all for your efforts!

mtbr member
    speaking of this bench cut section up to the overlook, it'd be nice to throw sticks across the new trail until its completed... otherwise riders get a ways off track when the new trail just stops. I know my way around there pretty well, but new riders to Emma might get a bit confused. I really appreciate the new trails though, they are looking incredible.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCrunch
    speaking of this bench cut section up to the overlook, it'd be nice to throw sticks across the new trail until its completed... otherwise riders get a ways off track when the new trail just stops. I know my way around there pretty well, but new riders to Emma might get a bit confused. I really appreciate the new trails though, they are looking incredible.
    The new Chuckie section did have some branches across it just past the tank tread, but gnomes must have moved them. If you get out there, before we do, feel free to throw some brush across the entrance. I'll be out there, tonight, but plan to ride at Muir.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode Carlin for the first time tonight as I was in the area for work today, had a good time. Rode basically everything there and the north half of the connector (rode the connector twice, loved it). The work being done on the trails is plainly evident and in my mind is making the trail system there much better. You guys and gals are doing great work!!

A couple of the climbs on the green loop are VICIOUS, steep and loose, how about a re-route around the bigger steep one with the pea gravel and rubber water bars? LOL. That one I just about couldn't make. Good fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSMITH
    I rode Carlin for the first time tonight as I was in the area for work today, had a good time. Rode basically everything there and the north half of the connector (rode the connector twice, loved it). The work being done on the trails is plainly evident and in my mind is making the trail system there much better. You guys and gals are doing great work!!

A couple of the climbs on the green loop are VICIOUS, steep and loose, how about a re-route around the bigger steep one with the pea gravel and rubber water bars? LOL. That one I just about couldn't make. Good fun.

That gnarly climb with the "steps" in it is ridiculous. Im not sure I have EVER made it up that one...

.... Making it up just once is my goal for the season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    .... Making it up just once is my goal for the season.
    I hear you, but....

It was a mistake for me, I blew my legs up completely with a couple hours of daylight left to ride. I had about 13 or 14 miles on when I hit that climb. Had I walked that hill and one other particularly tough one I could have ridden a LOT longer. I got back around to the trail head and didn't have the gas to keep going (and have fun doing it). I'll be charging at that hill, spin easy to a stop and hopping off next time. I will walk it so I can keep riding all the other fun stuff!

Members who have read this thread: 0