Early May riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Early May riding

Doesn't look like this regional forum gets a ton of traffic, and the links in the FAQ are either 'not found' or haven't been updated in years. Anyhow, I'll be in town in early May and am hoping to ride some of the home trails of QBP, Surly, and Salsa. Will be staying in Minneapolis/Plymouth. Too early in the season? Any favorite shops close by to trails? Singletracks shows some decent riding not too far away (Eagan, Maple Grove).

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Doesn't look like this regional forum gets a ton of traffic, and the links in the FAQ are either 'not found' or haven't been updated in years. Anyhow, I'll be in town in early May and am hoping to ride some of the home trails of QBP, Surly, and Salsa. Will be staying in Minneapolis/Plymouth. Too early in the season? Any favorite shops close by to trails? Singletracks shows some decent riding not too far away (Eagan, Maple Grove).

Thanks
    May should be great! Only hitch could be rain, but that applies most everywhere. The local club is MORC check out morcmtb.org. Pretty comprehensive site. If you want to drive a couple hours check out Cuyuna Lakes Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails ? Shred the Red or Duluth COGGS ? Cyclists of Gitchee Gumee Shores | Serving the bicycling communities of the Twin Ports since 1994.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Previous poster is right on. Check on the MORC website for trail info. Trail conditions are usually pretty up to date which can be a big deal in May. Our trails are closed when too wet. Some local trails that are very popular are Elm Creek, Lebanon Hills, Murphy-Hanrehan, Theodore Wirth, and Carver Lake. There are several others in the metro area. I hope you have great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I was thinking Duluth would almost certainly be too wet since it's a bit more north - perhaps that is not the case. I take it trail conditions are largely dictated by this winter's snowpack as well?

I did have Lebanon hills in my sights as well as Elm Creek, but thanks for the suggestions on the others. Cuyuna lakes might be out of striking distance if I want to rent a bike and return it in the same day, we shall see.

I had found the MOCA site, which was outdated, so thanks for pointing me towards MORC instead.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    I was thinking Duluth would almost certainly be too wet since it's a bit more north - perhaps that is not the case. I take it trail conditions are largely dictated by this winter's snowpack as well?

I did have Lebanon hills in my sights as well as Elm Creek, but thanks for the suggestions on the others. Cuyuna lakes might be out of striking distance if I want to rent a bike and return it in the same day, we shall see.

I had found the MOCA site, which was outdated, so thanks for pointing me towards MORC instead.
    I think you can rent a bike right in town for Cuyuna. You'd have to call and check on that. From what I see on Facebook pictures from friends in Duluth, there is still snow up there. It will be close, may or may not be open. Hard to say until we get closer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    As of tomorrow (April 2nd) Cuyuna is open and we dry out pretty quickly, unless its weeks of rain, we should be ready to in early May.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Duluth and Cuyuna roughly equidistant from the Twin Cities -- depends on where you are in the Metro. For you in Plymouth, Cuyuna will be a few minutes closer drive time. I live both in Duluth and in a town just east of Cuyuna because of work so I see them both frequently. If you want to plan a trip I'd go to Cuyuna that time of year. The soil in Duluth just takes longer to dry out, both in the spring and after a rain than Cuyuna does. And right now, Duluth is a ways from being open. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be then. Just saying. But if you don't have much time the Metro trails are really fun and offer a lot of variety. Just spread out across the city.

clown question, bro
    I can't speak to trails in Minn myself [from WI], but Levis Mound is not a tremendously far drive from the Twin Cities and some really good riding. Most times I get down that way I see plenty of Minnesota plates on cars in the lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    Elm Creek and Theodore Wirth have both been open for (very) short stretches already this year. You might have luck in May. Elm tends to dry out quicker than Theo.

Go get coffee and ogle the bikes at Angry Catfish if you're looking for an awesome local shop. Freewheel on the greenway in Uptown is pretty cool too.
    DB Release 3
    Kona Rove ST + Burley D'Lite :cornut: