Duluth area trails.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Duluth area trails.

I parked at Chambers Grove Park and checked out the trails in that area today. What a nice system of trails and its just the tip of the iceberg. I can't wait to check out the other trails. There is nothing like riding a trail for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "To be the man you gotta beat the man”

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was just there on Sunday. Lots of flowey single track and somebody built a lot of bridges. Did you like the big climb out of the parking area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnu View Post
    I was just there on Sunday. Lots of flowey single track and somebody built a lot of bridges. Did you like the big climb out of the parking area?
    I went to the left at the Y after the parking lot. I ended up walking down that at the end. No way was I going to try and ride down that. Yup, lots of flowy single track and a lot of bridges. Lots of fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ride it but it's more the walking equivalent. Brakes are warm at the end. The part right before the descent is deceptively fast and fun. Kind of a roller coaster along the side hill

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes it's great. My first time there is still etched in memory. There was less trail but it was fast and fun. We rode it fast and then bought a lift ticket for an epic day.

My wife and I had a nice ride packed trip last week. It was her first time in the area. She lives for or prefers flow trail at home but loved our everything Lester ride and that surprised me. She always says she hates rocks but liked Hawk Ridge.

For Chambers Grove or what I call or consider Mission Creek we rode the way I've known from it's beginnings but were told by people there and a local friend they now ride the traverse section more and go uphill on Upper Cathedral.

That whole area (Mission Creek) is fun and especially so when you consider how fast you can travel there. Now I have 8 miles of similar trail 2 mi from my driveway but nothing like Piedmont or Lester a car-free drive. For my next time at Mission Creek area I want to make it a much bigger ride.

Duluth needs to be on your to do list if you have not ridden there.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks guys for sharing. I live in the cities would be fun to head up for the day and check it out. Parking at Chambers Grove Park does one need a pass or pay when you get there?

Roughly about how many miles of trails if one sets out on the St. Louis River then the Loki and lower Cathedral back? Just trying to get an idea to plan a day.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinsum View Post
    Thanks guys for sharing. I live in the cities would be fun to head up for the day and check it out. Parking at Chambers Grove Park does one need a pass or pay when you get there?

Roughly about how many miles of trails if one sets out on the St. Louis River then the Loki and lower Cathedral back? Just trying to get an idea to plan a day.

Thanks
    A pass isn't needed, I think it's just a city park.

I went along the St Louis, then I think I hooked with Valley West, to Upper Cathedral and down to Lower Cathedral. It was about 10 miles. MTB Project and Trail Forks both have the trails.

It was a very nice ride. Kudos to COGGS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMN View Post

I went along the St Louis, then I think I hooked with Valley West, to Upper Cathedral and down to Lower Cathedral. It was about 10 miles. MTB Project and Trail Forks both have the trails.

Many thanks for the info. I'll try to check it out in September. Also thanks for sharing the pictures, pretty trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I live in the Brainerd Lakes area and mostly ride Cuyuna, but those Duluth trails are about 90 minutes from here and could make for a nice day trip.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Brewer (Home Brew) is my favorite trail up there so far. Mission Creek is happening for us next weekend (haven't ridden there yet) and then maybe a quick run of Brewer as I love that trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty View Post
    Brewer (Home Brew) is my favorite trail up there so far. Mission Creek is happening for us next weekend (haven't ridden there yet) and then maybe a quick run of Brewer as I love that trail.
    Not into Lester+Amity+Hawk Ridge? To me it offers some of everything in the area except for the expert stuff across from Brewer. There is the first word problem of deciding to go up or down Lester, the Amity trails, or start on top or below.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Not into Lester+Amity+Hawk Ridge? To me it offers some of everything in the area except for the expert stuff across from Brewer. There is the first word problem of deciding to go up or down Lester, the Amity trails, or start on top or below.
    To be honest I have very little experience in that area (I come up from Rice Lake, WI so I usually hit Spirit or Piedmont/Brewer because they're easy to get to after the drive.) I think I've only ascended one of those...you're saying I need to put that on my list next? Just MTB projected them...I think you might be right!

That being said Home Brew just has a unique feeling with long rock sections, some optional features I can actually do, amazing views and it's different than what I get here. Piedmont too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Mission Creek Trail is posted closed for today, Sept 4th. Is the posting accurate? I've been watching the status this past week and for the most part it has been marked closed. Do people still ride it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinsum View Post
    Mission Creek Trail is posted closed for today, Sept 4th. Is the posting accurate? I've been watching the status this past week and for the most part it has been marked closed. Do people still ride it?
    No. Please do not ride closed trails. Quite a few of the trails in Duluth are clay. When you ride wet clay you create ruts that hold water. When there are ruts holding water, it takes the trails longer to dry out. This creates more ruts, which makes the trails wetter.
    You can see the status of the trails in Duluth at COGGS - Mountain Bike Duluth and Superior
    I'm glad you like what we've done up here. We groom quite a few of these trails in the winter for fat biking. You should plan a winter trip or two.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Many thanks for the reply. After I posted on the 4th I was watching weather radar and lots more rain dumped up that way and down here in the cities. Good to know about the clay. Here I usually ride river bottoms behind my house and it's sandy which dries fast.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    I didn't know that either. Duluth is about 90 minutes from here. The trails that I ride at Cuyuna are generally ready to ride about an hour after any rain stops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    I didn't know that either. Duluth is about 90 minutes from here. The trails that I ride at Cuyuna are generally ready to ride about an hour after any rain stops.
    :-) Which is why Cuyuna is packed with Duluthians during iffy weather and early season....

On a serious note, yes, many of our trails are very susceptible to wet riding damage. Lester and Mission Creek are some of the worst.
    Now the trees have stopped sucking water and the temps have dropped it will take much longer for the trails to dry out.

Please check the Twitter feed from the COGGS trail crews to see if the trails are open. In general, until conditions change, they will not be reposted. In other words, they remain closed until posted open.

Besides the above mentioned trails, for sure check out:

Spirit Mountain to Keene Creek to Brewer, not many other places in MN where you can get a (nearly) continuous 600' vert climb over 2 miles!

-Kissing Booth, black diamond, technical XC. Wheels can stay on the ground, but that ground is going to be steep and rocky!

-Don't miss Enger Tower(including Observation Hill), connecting to Piedmont.

-And if you are out east, make sure to continue all the way to Vermillion Rd on Morningside.

Please remember that (except for Spirit Mtn Bikepark) all our trails are multi use:

Bikers yield to hikers, and DH riders yield to climbing riders.

PS: the new trail maps for the city of Duluth are out! Pick one up when you are in town, they're free!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMN View Post

I went along the St Louis, then I think I hooked with Valley West, to Upper Cathedral and down to Lower Cathedral. It was about 10 miles. MTB Project and Trail Forks both have the trails

Make sure to do a loop crossing Mission Creek(the actual creek).

If coming from the cities you can park at eh Buffalo House, then ride 1 mi on the Munger trail to the start of the MTB trails. Take the trail down from the Munger, parallel to Mission Creek Parkway, then climb Valley west, descend St Louis River trail, ride on the road to Mission Creek Park, then head up the trail climbing out from there ending up back at Becks rd/Munger. That's about 10 miles.

Note that not all new trails are on MTBProject or the posted maps yet. Also, no cell phone reception in much of Mission Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    Make sure to do a loop crossing Mission Creek(the actual creek).

If coming from the cities you can park at eh Buffalo House, then ride 1 mi on the Munger trail to the start of the MTB trails. Take the trail down from the Munger, parallel to Mission Creek Parkway, then climb Valley west, descend St Louis River trail, ride on the road to Mission Creek Park, then head up the trail climbing out from there ending up back at Becks rd/Munger. That's about 10 miles.

Note that not all new trails are on MTBProject or the posted maps yet. Also, no cell phone reception in much of Mission Creek.
    I have rode part of that loop. The last time I was there I parked at Chambers Grove again, road up the St Louis River Trail, got onto Valley West til I got to the unnamed trail ND took that down to 131st Ave W. I still need to do more of the trails in the middle, Ninja Beaver, Porcupine Passage and I think Loki. Though I may have ridden some of them the first time, I'm not exactly sure, I wasn't paying much attention to where I was. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What's the mountain biking like at Lutsen? Any lift-managed downhill?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    What's the mountain biking like at Lutsen? Any lift-managed downhill?
    None. They stopped that many years ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Is the travers trail one way or two traffic and if one way, which way? thank you. heading up there for a weekend in early October.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    Is the travers trail one way or two traffic and if one way, which way? thank you. heading up there for a weekend in early October.
    2 way