Duluth Area Assistance?- Mtbr.com
    stl_burner

Duluth Area Assistance?

I've searched both MORC and COGGS and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I've requested a handle on both of those forums but haven't received them yet.

I'll have a weekend in Duluth area to do some tent camping and riding, and am looking for suggestions. I'll camp from the car but must have a fire ring and wouldn't mind a picnic table. I've come across two campgrounds that look interesting, Spirit Mountain and Indian Point.

Does anyone have feedback or other suggestions?

Also, there seems to be plenty of info available regarding trails, but I'm open to suggestions there also. I'm a XC guy but love the tech stuff, and am not opposed to all day rides.

Thanks!!!!!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Spirit is decent and has the normal amenities like fire ring and tables. Some of the sites you have to hike into.
    The access "roads" are sketchy at best and depending on your vehicle you'll want to go really slow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Duluth campgrounds

Of course, as a local I am really not very knowledgeable about the campgrounds in town ;-)

Of those two, Spirit Mountain is (obviously) the closest acces to mtb trail. In fact the Happy Camper trail at Spirit is so named because it cuts through a corner of the campground.

There is also Fond du Lac campground, it's right next to the Chambers grove trailhead for the Mission Creek trails.

Mountain Bike Trails near Duluth
    Last edited by Tjaard; 06-02-2016 at 11:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Piedmont is a fantastic trail, and very technical. Brewer is right across the road ftom Piedmont. I think of it as a beginner trail. Spirit Mountain is high quality downhill, though not as expansive as you would find in some other parts of the country.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Spirit would be the most centrally located camping area. With the proximity of the trails, you wouldn't have to drive all weekend.
    The Piedmont/ Brewer/ Enger trails start about 5 miles to the east and the Mission Creek trails are about 7+ miles to the west. It is a easy commute to all of these trails on the picturesque Skyline Drive. By the end of the summer there will be singletrack connecting Spirit Mountain to Enger. The Piedmont trail system has the most tech in Duluth. Check out the NIMBY area as well as the newly improved Admiral Rockbar.