Door County Mtn Bike trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Door County Mtn Bike trails

As many of you already know Door County isnt known for our trails. We have a group of Riders and $backers$ working hard to change this! Any help/advice from trail builders in other parts of the state would be greatly appreciated. There is no reason why Door County shouldnt be on a map for incredible trails! We have amazing terrain here with elevation.

Anyway Myself and a crew just went in Penninsula State Park Yesterday and cleared a ton of trails down to dirt which hasnt been done in YEARS.. So please get out there and ride! also post stuff around when your here how much you would love to see trails here.

any help is much appreciated. At this current time we are pushing towards some county park trails so fingers crossed!

Thanks!
    Chris Miller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dckiteboards View Post
    As many of you already know Door County isnt known for our trails. We have a group of Riders and $backers$ working hard to change this! Any help/advice from trail builders in other parts of the state would be greatly appreciated. There is no reason why Door County shouldnt be on a map for incredible trails! We have amazing terrain here with elevation.

Anyway Myself and a crew just went in Penninsula State Park Yesterday and cleared a ton of trails down to dirt which hasnt been done in YEARS.. So please get out there and ride! also post stuff around when your here how much you would love to see trails here.

any help is much appreciated. At this current time we are pushing towards some county park trails so fingers crossed!

Thanks!
    Chris Miller
    Good job Chris!

I ride Pen Park frequently, and Newport in the winter. Both have fabulous single-track routes and it amazes me that I don't see more people out there.
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Maybe post something in the trail building and advocacy forum. Lots of good ideas in that section.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I head up that way pretty frequently to fish and was unaware of any single track at pen park.. Thanks for the update I will definitely have to ride up there soon. Where is the trail head at pen park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brettmanfoo View Post
    I head up that way pretty frequently to fish and was unaware of any single track at pen park.. Thanks for the update I will definitely have to ride up there soon. Where is the trail head at pen park?
    Hey!
    Yep, there's a lot of good ST, you can easily get lost up there for half a day or more.

From the main Rangers office, if you get onto the Sunset Trail, then after around 1/4 mile there's a path that's marked 'Trail Pass Required' on the right hand side of the Sunset Trail. Take that up the hill and loop north and it takes you into the deep woods areas.
    Also, if you park at the top lot, #5 I think it is, you can take a right on the trail coming out from the lot, it runs behind the maintenance building adjacent the road, then drops into the deep-woods areas...
    There's some really nice riding and some of it's pretty fast too....also quite a few rocky sites. As long as you stay off Sunset you won't see another rider out there...except maybe me....I ride it probably 2 or 3 times a week year round..
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I grew up in DC and visit family frequently. Let me know how I can help. There are a few small private trail systems up there, but Pen and Pot parks need real trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Mountain biking is terrible in Door County. I biked at peninsula trail just a couple weeks ago and it was convenient but I'd say the trail is a 2/5. Every trail in SE WI is better. Sad thing is this area has so much potential and already a built in stream of visitors and does not take advantage of it. I'd be wiling to help if possible, need something like the Copper Harbor Trails Club, they have really made Copper Harbor become a destination for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It appears that mountain bike trails are not so far off. DC parks master plans are opening soon and it is likely a silent sports group will be working with an IMBA advocate to draw up a conceptual plan for the parks. We still need all the help we can get- send your contact info, including address, to Tom at [email protected]. That goes for anyone else who sees this and is interested and can help. THANKS!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Count me in Tom. I love riding at your place and will help whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by snowkraft View Post
    It appears that mountain bike trails are not so far off. DC parks master plans are opening soon and it is likely a silent sports group will be working with an IMBA advocate to draw up a conceptual plan for the parks. We still need all the help we can get- send your contact info, including address, to Tom at [email protected]. That goes for anyone else who sees this and is interested and can help. THANKS!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hey slowride, Can you please PM or e-mail me your contact info. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by snowkraft View Post
    Hey slowride, Can you please PM or e-mail me your contact info. Thanks!!
    we are friends on Facebook. Michael Knudson is my name.

I grew up in Door County and visit family up there often.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    https://www.change.org/p/door-county...fb_ref=Default

Trying to get a petition for better riding... sign!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This thread is a couple years old but hoping you guys are still watching. I'm headed up there for a week soon and based on what I read it is not worth bringing a mtn bike? Should I just bring a road bike instead? Cross bike to ride gravel or is it all paved?

Thanks
    John

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by riding29 View Post
    This thread is a couple years old but hoping you guys are still watching. I'm headed up there for a week soon and based on what I read it is not worth bringing a mtn bike? Should I just bring a road bike instead? Cross bike to ride gravel or is it all paved?

Thanks
    John
    I'd bring a road bike. They had basic singletrack 2 years ago while I was there. Was there a few weeks ago but didn't bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    I'd bring a road bike. They had basic singletrack 2 years ago while I was there. Was there a few weeks ago but didn't bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I took my gravel bike with road tires and glad I did. Found some decent roads without having to put the bike on the car everyday. My goal was to ride out the front door as much as possible.

Peninsula State Park would have been a 20 minute drive every day and from the sounds of it I would have grown tired of it real fast.

Thanks for the tips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I was hoping there would be more up there compared to where I live in SE WI. I was on Washington Island last July for a 12 hour road race. In addition to my road bike, my g/f brought her Rocky Mountain fat bike and I brought my Stache. We found next to nothing on the island. Being in Door County and Peninsula State Park a couple years earlier, I knew there wasn't much more than hiking trails at the park.

mtbr member
    We just returned from a week in Peninsula State Park. This was my second time there, last was i think in 2016.

I rode the same single track in the park, and while it was fun (when isn't riding in the forest fun?) I would say it is surprisingly lacking in opportunities. There were a lot of MTB in the campgrounds, so I wonder where everyone was going. Some were medium to higher end bikes, but there was a lot of kids and families with lower end bikes that just ride the wide gravel trails. There is a captive audience, young ones to invite to the MTB party, but I didn't see a single soul on the single track trails.

Having said that, I found on my app, SNOWKRAFT. What an awesome place to ride, it reminds me of a mini version of the DTE trail in Chelsea, MI. Machine made with maybe a hundred banked turns, it was so much fun, I took the 30 minute drive from the campground to ride it again the second day. I found the place very intriguing and mysterious for many reasons as well. Is this private land, is it ok to ride here, would be fun to use the campfire and seating some evening with some other riders, but nobody else was there....

Are there even a large MTB community in northern Wisconsin? It doesn't really seem so, yet there is so much terrain to harvest. I live in SE Michigan, where there are so many trails to choose from, and the scene is quite vibrant. Tom, I love your place, the work is awesome, sorry i can't help the rest of Door County open up new trails. Maybe it is just nice to have this hidden gem tucked away in Sturgeon Bay for a select few to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Good timing for this thread to be resurrected! I'll be in door County in august and will bring my Giant toughroad (a rigid MTB with 2"tires).

Last year I was hiking in Pen park and it looked like the trails were used by all kind of bikes inc. road bikes. Not too technical, but sure will be nice riding.

I also plan to ride the roads to go around the penninsula. Maybe go up to Newport State Park.

any other good places to ride (for my 2" tire hybrid/MTB)?
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am owner of Snowkraft trails in Sturgeon Bay. My name is Tom Parsons. I can give an update on riding in Door County, and future projects.

We're behind the curve here in the county in terms of purpose built MTB trails. There is just a bit of trail in Peninsula Park for mountain biking. It is ok, nothing special, especially considering what many of you have close to home. The sunset trail in Pen. Park is cruhed gravel, and fun for gravel bikes. (Another place for gravel bikes is the Ahnapee Trail, Sturgeon Bay to Algoma. Flat, but scenic and fun.) In Sturgeon Bay, a small park opened just recently with a bit under a mile of trail. It is fun, worth a visit, but of course short. Here is the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2281413961939489/ You can ride at Newport State Park, but this is not overly exciting. My area, Snowkraft, will likely not be public for quite some time, as I face zoning issues. It is not exactly the best that people who don't know me ride here.

As far as future development, I have heard that Potawatomi Park is fairly close to working on mountain bike trails. I have no idea of what the mileage and build mite look like. Peninsual Park is a bit farther off with MTB trails. There is a potential MTB project that the village of Fish Creek is looking at- a 250 or so acre residential development with MTB trails, and possibly a pump trak and more. My best guess is rideable trails are about 3-4 years away. The person I have scheduled to work at my area with me, Jeremy Witek, is one of the best trailbuilders in the US, and is scheduled to take a look at the trail potential in Fish Creek soon, and would likely build the trail there. IF the project works, count on trails there being awesome, with Witek involved.

You SHOULD bring your road bike. Although not any long climbs, you can surely map a ride with good hills. There are plentiful back roads thanks to farming and dairy of years past. Get on the right roads, and you'll not see many cars, even in high tourist season.

When we have good MTB trails, we surely will benefit from this tourist group. It is obviously a sector of the population that has been highly beneficial for many towns as of recent. Progress has been and I'd guess will be slow, but who knows: there could be some magical event or breakthrough that stimulates faster and more MTB growth.

aka bOb
    [QUOTE=steveracer;

Are there even a large MTB community in northern Wisconsin? It doesn't really seem so, yet there is so much terrain to harvest. [/QUOTE]

You where in a tiny little spot in WI, we have great mountain bike communities spread out all over Northern WI including the Great Northern WI (UP )