DJ In Southern Wisco?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

DJ In Southern Wisco?

Anybody know of any good or even decent DJ locations in southern wisconsin, south central would be best.

mtbr member
    quarry park in dowtown madison (not quarry ridge) has a few, its kinda a playground, drops, hips, and a few tables but no dedicated lines but plenty of fun stuff to play on, there might be a dj park going up in badger prarie park in verona but its iffy right now

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yeah I'm looking to get into Dj and more Urban stuff; and I really have never seena place to do it. I'm going to get a total noob at it because I have never done it; but I really wanna learn and get into it. If anybody knows of a spot that has even a kicker to kicker landing or something that would be tight; I'm not trying to go barspins over gaps or anything yet, just trying to get air.

mtbr member
    im new too at dj, there is (or was last year) some little kickers and small tables, and just bumps to catch air off and other stuff at quarry, then again there is also some mondo big stuff there too, and ive only seen other people there once so its kinda deserted, im sorry i dont know anywhere else in wisco, id say check out quarry when the snow is gone and stuff is firmed up

mtbr member

Quarry Ridge

in Fitchburg.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    where in fitchburg, or did you really think that was helpful?

mtbr member
    Start digging. Thats probably your best bet. Many of the best Dj spots are secret and the builders rarely like to share the wealth.
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

mtbr member

Try this

Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    where in fitchburg, or did you really think that was helpful?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...0675&z=13&om=0

From Hwy 18 west of Madison, take the McKee road (PD) exit, then the first left on the frontage road. Left again on Fitchrona Road, then the park entrance is the first left after that.

You could just ask for help instead of being snarky. I was replying from work and did not have the time to spell it all out. I thought you might have enough initiative to look it up. Bad assumption on my part.

Quarry Ridge has one cluster of three jumps. There is more that can be built, but the local DJ people can't seem to find the time to do the work. Contact CORP if you want to help get things going again.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/corp_madison/

Subscribe to the mail list if you want to get involved.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...0675&z=13&om=0

From Hwy 18 west of Madison, take the McKee road (PD) exit, then the first left on the frontage road. Left again on Fitchrona Road, then the park entrance is the first left after that.

You could just ask for help instead of being snarky. I was replying from work and did not have the time to spell it all out. I thought you might have enough initiative to look it up. Bad assumption on my part.

Quarry Ridge has one cluster of three jumps. There is more that can be built, but the local DJ people can't seem to find the time to do the work. Contact CORP if you want to help get things going again.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/corp_madison/

Subscribe to the mail list if you want to get involved.

Walt
    So the jumps are at Quarry Ridge? I ride there all the time and never saw any jumps; they had some nice drops though. Sorry for sounding like an ass, I thought you were doing the same. As for helping, during the summer when I'm back from milwaukee I would love to. Also if my transfer gets accepted to UW madison I could help even during the school year. But yeah, I want to get into DJ, but need some jumps to learn on. This summer is going to be a blast though, last summer I started biking again and now this summer will be weekly trips to Muirs, mounds, and I'm thinking of driving way up by Superior almost and ride the national forest. Was up there last summer and rode some of those trails and they were really nice.

mtbr member

Terminology

OK then, there are 3 drops, and one small dirt jump on the bottom of the track. At the far end from the entrance.

I ride XC and don't make the distinction between drop and jump.

My bad.

Hope you can see a way to join the work crew. We've lost much time due to infighting among the folks involved. The guy originally in charge is a great person and made things come together at great personal sacrifice but he was prone to, shall we say, drama. For what ever reason (maybe we are just not the right group to lead this project) we have not seen the kind of participation from big bike guys to make this project a success. FWIW, the park management has pre-approved the construction of more Technical Trail Features. However we need people to fall in behind a leader (could be someone new, I think Dave would agree with this) who will talk with the park manager, and not just a bunch of guys to go at it with shovels as they see fit. We've already had that situation, and it's not working. The park management wants accountability. Not in the legal sense, but instead if they see something going on they don't like, they know who to call to get if fixed.

There is a new guy from CORP in charge, Dave Hill. He's a great guy and we have hopes that the project construction will get back on track. Our biggest failing is that we don't have people who are into drops or dirt jumps (sorry if I'm not getting the distinction) working there on a regular basis. Picture a bunch of skinny XC guys staring at a 6' drop and saying, "Do you have any idea where we put the landing?" and you get what we're dealing with.

Looking back at my original post I can see how it might look abrupt. Sorry if it came across that way. Lack of time and maybe some frustration with the state of the project.

CORP is trying to reach out to the big-bike guys in the area. We have a project started at Quarry Ridge, and the possibility of something more at Badger Prarie. We have credibility with several local land managers and access to (some) land. What we need is for someone(s) who is comfortable with working in a structured way either with public officials or our own people, and preferably has enough friends willing to follow some basic rules so that this project can turn into what it was intended: a park for big-bike guys. (Yes I really mean that John if you're reading this)

What pi$$es me off is there are at least a few people who are willing to go out to the park and muck around with what has already been approved and built, thereby irritating the park manager, who asks us to put it back the way it was. But these same folks are no where to be seen on scheduled work days. What's better, a jump that's 100% your own design and destined to be torn down after a few days, or working with some other people to make a compromise that will stand as long as there are people willing to maintain it?

Not your fault Diggity, thanks for the opportunity to vent. Hopefully someone who has the time will take advantage of a golden opportunity and make a park we can all be proud of.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    OK then, there are 3 drops, and one small dirt jump on the bottom of the track. At the far end from the entrance.

I ride XC and don't make the distinction between drop and jump.

My bad.

Hope you can see a way to join the work crew. We've lost much time due to infighting among the folks involved. The guy originally in charge is a great person and made things come together at great personal sacrifice but he was prone to, shall we say, drama. For what ever reason (maybe we are just not the right group to lead this project) we have not seen the kind of participation from big bike guys to make this project a success. FWIW, the park management has pre-approved the construction of more Technical Trail Features. However we need people to fall in behind a leader (could be someone new, I think Dave would agree with this) who will talk with the park manager, and not just a bunch of guys to go at it with shovels as they see fit. We've already had that situation, and it's not working. The park management wants accountability. Not in the legal sense, but instead if they see something going on they don't like, they know who to call to get if fixed.

There is a new guy from CORP in charge, Dave Hill. He's a great guy and we have hopes that the project construction will get back on track. Our biggest failing is that we don't have people who are into drops or dirt jumps (sorry if I'm not getting the distinction) working there on a regular basis. Picture a bunch of skinny XC guys staring at a 6' drop and saying, "Do you have any idea where we put the landing?" and you get what we're dealing with.

Looking back at my original post I can see how it might look abrupt. Sorry if it came across that way. Lack of time and maybe some frustration with the state of the project.

CORP is trying to reach out to the big-bike guys in the area. We have a project started at Quarry Ridge, and the possibility of something more at Badger Prarie. We have credibility with several local land managers and access to (some) land. What we need is for someone(s) who is comfortable with working in a structured way either with public officials or our own people, and preferably has enough friends willing to follow some basic rules so that this project can turn into what it was intended: a park for big-bike guys. (Yes I really mean that John if you're reading this)

What pi$$es me off is there are at least a few people who are willing to go out to the park and muck around with what has already been approved and built, thereby irritating the park manager, who asks us to put it back the way it was. But these same folks are no where to be seen on scheduled work days. What's better, a jump that's 100% your own design and destined to be torn down after a few days, or working with some other people to make a compromise that will stand as long as there are people willing to maintain it?

Not your fault Diggity, thanks for the opportunity to vent. Hopefully someone who has the time will take advantage of a golden opportunity and make a park we can all be proud of.

Walt
    Yeah there are drops all over that place; that I will hopefully grow balls enough to hit over this next summer. The thing about quarry is the space is so limited there; it's hard to put a lot of stuff in, or atleast that's how it seems. what I would like more than anything is a climb higher up the hill and then a nice steep downhill. There was a decent downhill there and it got torn down and re routed late last season; that aggravated me.

I think a good place to put dirt jumps would be the fire trail that connect both trail head I guess, if you know what I'm talking about, the wide trail that runs parallel to the lake. A nice line of jumps would be nice there, and maybe a wooden tower or something with a ladder drop in for speed. The ladder platform at the end of the trail at the parking lot I wish would be re routed with a straight line coming toward it, so you really could crank some speed out and clear it. Also, in the free ride section I wish there was more developed paths to take, it's all so sprawled out like you said, like a few guys just come there and work a quick line that they want to hit and don't really worry about any other paths, people need to come in there and either remove sand and make a path or pack it down and make a few lines working to drops or an exit because I'm pretty sure I have taken 5 different ways out of that place.

The straight shot down that back hill that borders the free ride spot also I think should be re routed so there are some turns and maybe a berm at the way bottom you can slingshot around and then hit a jump or something.

I know there is a lot of stuff that could be done there and I would be willing to help; but pretty much the only people I see riding there are XC people, and I really don't want to be the only more free ride oriented person there being told that the majority would rather work on running a new line on the flat trail than go dig around in that sand. If it's drama filled like you said I would rather just ride there by myself and not get involved in that.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you have a lot of good ideas Diggidy, some of them very feasible, and others that could be explored but may not jive with the layout of the park (we have to keep the beginner, intermediate, and expert features somewhat separated for various reasons). Either way, all we need is cooperation with the big bike crowd and the park could really be developed to suit those tastes.

I put in a lot of effort last year to try and bring that crowd in but it just didn't pan out ( I fear did more damage than good), and in the end I just got frustrated by low work day interest on the freeride side coupled with a lot of rouge trail building/modifications. In other words more negative activity than good. Plus my skin is only so thick, and repeatedly hearing "what you should have done" yet hardly any actual participation really wore on me.

I'm personally not going to push much if any freeride building out there this year, there are plenty of xc lines to build that I'll get more ride time out of anyway. I'd be thrilled to help anyone who steps up and tries to move it forward though.

mtbr member

For What It's Worth

Yeah there are drops all over that place; that I will hopefully grow balls enough to hit over this next summer. The thing about quarry is the space is so limited there; it's hard to put a lot of stuff in, or atleast that's how it seems. what I would like more than anything is a climb higher up the hill and then a nice steep downhill. There was a decent downhill there and it got torn down and re routed late last season; that aggravated me.

I think a good place to put dirt jumps would be the fire trail that connect both trail head I guess, if you know what I'm talking about, the wide trail that runs parallel to the lake. A nice line of jumps would be nice there, and maybe a wooden tower or something with a ladder drop in for speed. The ladder platform at the end of the trail at the parking lot I wish would be re routed with a straight line coming toward it, so you really could crank some speed out and clear it. Also, in the free ride section I wish there was more developed paths to take, it's all so sprawled out like you said, like a few guys just come there and work a quick line that they want to hit and don't really worry about any other paths, people need to come in there and either remove sand and make a path or pack it down and make a few lines working to drops or an exit because I'm pretty sure I have taken 5 different ways out of that place.

The straight shot down that back hill that borders the free ride spot also I think should be re routed so there are some turns and maybe a berm at the way bottom you can slingshot around and then hit a jump or something.

I know there is a lot of stuff that could be done there and I would be willing to help; but pretty much the only people I see riding there are XC people, and I really don't want to be the only more free ride oriented person there being told that the majority would rather work on running a new line on the flat trail than go dig around in that sand. If it's drama filled like you said I would rather just ride there by myself and not get involved in that.
    FWIW the folks who were more interested in fighting each other than getting things done seem to have moved on. Not to say it couldn't happen again, but currently (as of summer 2007 and on) things are low key.

I can't argue with you for not wanting to take on the work. Your life and committments are your own affair. But I would like to point out to anyone who's lurking and might be on the fence, the kind of committment we're looking for is not a time committment, but a willingness to be accountable.

I'm not going to lie to you. There are standards that have to be met (usually IMBA + some from Parks). Not every idea you've stated would be accepted. But nobody in our group is going to say, "Gee we'd like to let you run things but you only built 2 jumps last year..." At this point things are not happening at all, and I'd like to change it. I'm not qualified myself though (any drop over a foot scares me), and I already have a committment with the trail work at Blue Mound.

Don't take this as a comment on you personally Diggity, but it's frustrating to keep seeing messages that riders are looking for places to ride jumps and drops, we have an approved location, a pre-existing relationship with the land manager, people who are willing to help sort out ahead of time what is and is not acceptable, and nobody wants to build stuff there. Then we (CORP) get criticised for "turning the park into another XC trail" (actual quote). I'm sorry that you feel marginalized at Quarry Park. It wasn't supposed to be that way. I want it to be different but I can't change it by myself. All I can say is that every member of CORP I have talked to about Quarry Ridge says the same thing: it is first and foremost supposed to be a park for big bikes.

We have a chance to build a pump track at Badger Prarie, but it's going to be a tough sell if we can't show any interest in what we already have.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    FWIW the folks who were more interested in fighting each other than getting things done seem to have moved on. Not to say it couldn't happen again, but currently (as of summer 2007 and on) things are low key.

I can't argue with you for not wanting to take on the work. Your life and committments are your own affair. But I would like to point out to anyone who's lurking and might be on the fence, the kind of committment we're looking for is not a time committment, but a willingness to be accountable.

I'm not going to lie to you. There are standards that have to be met (usually IMBA + some from Parks). Not every idea you've stated would be accepted. But nobody in our group is going to say, "Gee we'd like to let you run things but you only built 2 jumps last year..." At this point things are not happening at all, and I'd like to change it. I'm not qualified myself though (any drop over a foot scares me), and I already have a committment with the trail work at Blue Mound.

Don't take this as a comment on you personally Diggity, but it's frustrating to keep seeing messages that riders are looking for places to ride jumps and drops, we have an approved location, a pre-existing relationship with the land manager, people who are willing to help sort out ahead of time what is and is not acceptable, and nobody wants to build stuff there. Then we (CORP) get criticised for "turning the park into another XC trail" (actual quote). I'm sorry that you feel marginalized at Quarry Park. It wasn't supposed to be that way. I want it to be different but I can't change it by myself. All I can say is that every member of CORP I have talked to about Quarry Ridge says the same thing: it is first and foremost supposed to be a park for big bikes.

We have a chance to build a pump track at Badger Prarie, but it's going to be a tough sell if we can't show any interest in what we already have.

Walt
    During summer man I am more than willing to help out. I'm going to be taking an EMT Class at MATC to get my license doing that, and also am going to have to have atleast a part-time to pay for the bottlerocket I hope to be buying this spring; but in my free time biking will be a huge part of that. I used to work at Jungs garden center on nesbit; I used to take my lunches and book it over to Quarry and get a quick lap or two in and head back when I road my bike to work; so I really love that place and am willing to help out.

As for blue mounds, I like riding there too, but it seems to be one big climb. It's almost as if it defies the law of physics or something there. All that climbing and no straight shot back down. I have yet to do Holy Schist though because it said expert trail and even though I'm confident in my riding; I didn't know if there were going to be 5-6' drops thrown around in there that my Trek 4500 couldn't take.

Actually the last time I road at Blue mounds (Late fall) I talked for a good half hour to one guy that said he was a manager or a lead worker at quarry or something. Was an older guy with a yellow FS bike, with a bolted front wheel. The reason I remember his front wheel was bolted is because that day I took that 2-3' rock jump on the first leg of the single track and snapped my front QR and had to head back way early; and ran into him.

But yeah, if you need help getting people to go to board meeting I can try and help. I mean I don't really think one more person at a board meeting will do much, and I really don't know anybody else who rides MTB except my bro. Just send me a PM if you need help, or need an extra hand to come out on a work day at Quarry or blue mounds.

Oh, PS. Since you seem pretty affiliated with BMounds, if there a DH Track inside BM that was mad for a race a few years back that is off limits to the public? If there is, you can just gimmie a brief way to get there that would be great.

mtbr member

More stuff

During summer man I am more than willing to help out. I'm going to be taking an EMT Class at MATC to get my license doing that, and also am going to have to have atleast a part-time to pay for the bottlerocket I hope to be buying this spring; but in my free time biking will be a huge part of that. I used to work at Jungs garden center on nesbit; I used to take my lunches and book it over to Quarry and get a quick lap or two in and head back when I road my bike to work; so I really love that place and am willing to help out.

As for blue mounds, I like riding there too, but it seems to be one big climb. It's almost as if it defies the law of physics or something there. All that climbing and no straight shot back down. I have yet to do Holy Schist though because it said expert trail and even though I'm confident in my riding; I didn't know if there were going to be 5-6' drops thrown around in there that my Trek 4500 couldn't take.

Actually the last time I road at Blue mounds (Late fall) I talked for a good half hour to one guy that said he was a manager or a lead worker at quarry or something. Was an older guy with a yellow FS bike, with a bolted front wheel. The reason I remember his front wheel was bolted is because that day I took that 2-3' rock jump on the first leg of the single track and snapped my front QR and had to head back way early; and ran into him.

But yeah, if you need help getting people to go to board meeting I can try and help. I mean I don't really think one more person at a board meeting will do much, and I really don't know anybody else who rides MTB except my bro. Just send me a PM if you need help, or need an extra hand to come out on a work day at Quarry or blue mounds.

Oh, PS. Since you seem pretty affiliated with BMounds, if there a DH Track inside BM that was mad for a race a few years back that is off limits to the public? If there is, you can just gimmie a brief way to get there that would be great.
    Diggity,

Thanks for the offer to help. Don't worry about the meetings. I'm fishing more for someone to lead workdays.

The DH race course is closed at Blue Mound. It was a temporary trail for the race two years ago. The park manager asked us to pile stuff on it until it could not be ridden.

There are a couple of short lines with drops and other stuff in the South Park area. South Park is on the south side of the mound. It's a sandwiched between the campground road and the main trail. Holy Schist! ends at the gravel road at the west end of the campground. The single track continues from there to the paved road that climbs to the top of the mound, roughly paralleling the campground road.

South Park splits off of the main trail about halfway, just after you cross another gravel road.

I'll reinstall Photoshop tonight (my motherboard died recently) and post a map here for you. BTW, Holy Schist does not have much in the way of drops. But it has a big climb and the descents are mostly shallow grade, tight and twisty. Probably not what you're looking for?

Be sure to try the new Over Lode trail. It splits off from the main trail at the first gravel road crossing in the Beginner section. There are some small signs up that will guide you.

Over Lode has about 1000' of vertical. What you might like about it is that the downhill sections can be ridden fast. What you won't like about it is the climbs.

Plans at Blue Mound for next year are to reroute around the wettest areas. I want to start fixing things so we can open the trails earlier in the year. I will re-open the 3 lines in South Park. Something you might be interested in? Then in spring 2009 we will start construction of the south mound loop. At about mile 2 there is a large ravine with the potential for a DH line. But it's going to take some time and effort just to get a trail out to it.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Diggity,

Thanks for the offer to help. Don't worry about the meetings. I'm fishing more for someone to lead workdays.

The DH race course is closed at Blue Mound. It was a temporary trail for the race two years ago. The park manager asked us to pile stuff on it until it could not be ridden.

There are a couple of short lines with drops and other stuff in the South Park area. South Park is on the south side of the mound. It's a sandwiched between the campground road and the main trail. Holy Schist! ends at the gravel road at the west end of the campground. The single track continues from there to the paved road that climbs to the top of the mound, roughly paralleling the campground road.

South Park splits off of the main trail about halfway, just after you cross another gravel road.

I'll reinstall Photoshop tonight (my motherboard died recently) and post a map here for you. BTW, Holy Schist does not have much in the way of drops. But it has a big climb and the descents are mostly shallow grade, tight and twisty. Probably not what you're looking for?

Be sure to try the new Over Lode trail. It splits off from the main trail at the first gravel road crossing in the Beginner section. There are some small signs up that will guide you.

Over Lode has about 1000' of vertical. What you might like about it is that the downhill sections can be ridden fast. What you won't like about it is the climbs.

Plans at Blue Mound for next year are to reroute around the wettest areas. I want to start fixing things so we can open the trails earlier in the year. I will re-open the 3 lines in South Park. Something you might be interested in? Then in spring 2009 we will start construction of the south mound loop. At about mile 2 there is a large ravine with the potential for a DH line. But it's going to take some time and effort just to get a trail out to it.

Walt
    Yeah a map would be awesome. The one on WORBAs website doesn't seem to show over lode or the south trail.

mtbr member

Revised Map for Blue Mound

Hi Diggity,

I've attached a map for Blue Mound that shows where Over Lode is (copied from GPS data) and a hand-drawn line for South Park. The vertical lines are about 50-75 yards long. The one on the right side of the map has a tree down over it that I will cut this spring.

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi Diggity,

I've attached a map for Blue Mound that shows where Over Lode is (copied from GPS data) and a hand-drawn line for South Park. The vertical lines are about 50-75 yards long. The one on the right side of the map has a tree down over it that I will cut this spring.

Walt
    So where exactly does overlode start? I have ridden at blue mounds quite a bit this past year and never saw a trail fork to turn right onto overlode.

For the south trail, I'm assuming by that picture you need to ride holy schist! to get there?

mtbr member

Overlode

The reason that you don't see a fork for Overlode is that it splits off at a gravel road. Take a right at the first gravel road crossing and ride across Mounds Road. The gravel road turns into a mowed path on the far side of Mounds. It immediately splits. Take the left side and ride the path to the bottom of the hill. Take the second left and you're back on single track. There are signs up, but they are small 4" x 6" plastic cards. You have to slow down or stop to read them.

You don't have to ride Holy Schist! to get to South Park. The bike trails at Blue Mound are not one way according to Park Manager Karl Heil. (Though it would be nice if you yield to riders coming from the customary direction.)

The fastest way to get to South Park is to ride up or down the road that connects the loop at the top of the mound to the park entry kiosk (where you show your vehicle sticker). There is a mowed path crossing the road about half way up. Take the side that goes south west, away from the swimming pool. The single track is on the right (uphill) side about 75 yards from the road.

Ride the single track uphill about 100 yards and there is an intersection with a trail to the right. It's pretty overgrown as of last fall so it will be hard to spot, and there is no sign. That is the east end of South Park.

It's not in great shape because I have not had time to keep it up. I'll try to do better this year.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    There seems to be quite a bit of work going on at the quarry behing whole foods. the trails there are in the best shape they have been in for years and quite a bit of new stuff...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ahhh I hit up Quarry Ridge today. First time on the bike since like October; felt amazing. Still some snow on the ground, and the poor drainage problem is definitely still a problem, but it was still fun as hell getting out there. Damn am I out of shape now, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0