DH racing in MN?...Don't Laugh!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DH racing in MN?...Don't Laugh!

I have family in the Twin Cities that I visit periodically and it would be nice to coincide that with some form of "gravity-assisted racing." Are there any dh races to speak that might be popping up around the Twin Cities?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    PM Buck, he seems to be the freeride/downhill dood for the MN area. But i would like to hear the info as well. Hopefully theres something around the madison area.

mtbr member
    I think Lutsen Mountain has some stuff. I also think Spirit Mountain in Duluth has a downhill course....don't quote me on that though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi Guys,
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, college is keeping me loaded down!

Yes there is some DH racing to be had in MN, not much right now though I'd look more to next year then this year. We have some awesome things in the works. April 30-May 1st IMBA is coming to a ski resort near Rochester MN to put in a DH/DS course. I hope to get races running on that as soon as possible!

As for the cities there is some killer Urban stuff Downtown and other areas. If you are into DJ there is a place called Monkey Village in Edina, pretty crazy stuff but fun! No real DH stuff in the cities as of yet(I'm working on that right now!) Mankato also has an awesome street scene and in the next week a killer place on private property that will be some monster DJ lines and some smaller ones to learn on as well, for more detailed info about that PM or page Beau!

The northland: I currently working with Spirit Mtn. to get their lifts open a couple times this summer, I am also the Race director for the Greenman DH(July 15-17th)(the DH course that has already been mentioned by a previous poster) The course will be revamped and re-routed through a new area this spring(as soon as it dries out), then I will be marking and building a FR trail some where on Spirit Mtn., the trail just has to be ok'd by a environmentalist! Lutsen I hear is dumping a ton of money into their hills this summer, some of which is going to trails, look for some new DH stuff from them as well!

To hook up with some riders I would check out the forums at www.morcmtb.org or I also run a Minnesota Freerides e-mail list that has 45 riders on it. We can get you rolling with someone for sure! PM me to be add to that list!

Please post any more question about the FR/DH scene in MN and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Thanks
    L8R
    Buck