Cuyuna!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cuyuna!

mtbr member

Cuyuna!

I made it up Cuyuna yesterday. My first time there, and the first heavy duty ride on my new bike. Great trails, they really got it right. I did 18 miles, a little of everything. I can't wait to get back up there, just a little over an hour away from my house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "To be the man you gotta beat the man”

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Great news. The increased one way trails will be nice for sure. "Build it and they will come" is very fitting for the Cuyuna Trails. I was surprised at how many people were there and from how far some traveled. It's definitely changed the vibe in Crosby/Ironton.

mtbr member
    The vibe in Crosby and Ironton needs changing. Slowly losing some of the "antique" stores (junk stores) in favor of microbreweries, sandwich shops, and nice restaurants. Now, if they can just come up with some places to stay that aren't huts or tents....

I've been riding snowmobiles, dirt bikes, and bicycles back there for 30 years. The distance that they've come in the last 5 years is pretty impressive. The town of Crosby is (reluctantly) following along.

mtbr member
    Being known for having a lot of antique stores isn't going to being any new businesses in. But they are heading in the right direction now, and being on the edge of the Brainerd Lakes area doesn't hurt either. Adding the extra trails will help bring in even more people. I even saw a mention of the Cuyuna Lakes Trails in the last Outside magazine.

I grew up north of Brainerd, but moved away in the early 80s when I joined the USAF. We moved back to MN 5 years ago.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just rode there for the first time last weekend, drove from the cities to meet my brother who is vacationing with his family up there.
    Fun elevation, great terrain, needs more one-way.
    I didn't stay, just a day trip, but I enjoyed the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I rode up there for the first time this past weekend. I rode early do the two way traffic was fine. I liked having the ability to try different sections over so hopefully the redesign won't hinder that. I found the trails a lot of fun. Not much technical but it was good elevation and some fun fast sections.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I hope some of the antique stores stay, it'll give my wife a place to go when I'm busy riding Sandhog over and over! I do love seeing all the change happening in that area though.

Surly Red Dirt Fest is coming up August 5th, it'll certainly be a good time!
    Surly Red Dirt Fest - Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Crew
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    I hope some of the antique stores stay, it'll give my wife a place to go when I'm busy riding Sandhog over and over! I do love seeing all the change happening in that area though.

Surly Red Dirt Fest is coming up August 5th, it'll certainly be a good time!
    Surly Red Dirt Fest - Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Crew
    Yeah, so do I. I'm planning on doing something similar. Let my wife check out the antique stores while I ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was just up there the week of the 4th. We were staying at Cragun's that week. We did a little of the Paul Bunyan trail and I took a morning and rode Cuyuna. I'm hoping to get back up there in the fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just got back, we had great time. Road 78 miles of red dirt, 15 paved, and 1 1/2 on horse. Loved every minute. We stayed at portsmount camp ground. I'd get up early and ride, come in for breakfast . Then we'd head out to do something for the day ( family vacation ). And don't forget to visit Joyce at Bucket of Bones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm due to arrive in Cuyuna this week....and it's supposed rain after what seems like weeks of nothing but sun.

How quickly do the trials recover there after some rain? Bummed out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
    I'm due to arrive in Cuyuna this week....and it's supposed rain after what seems like weeks of nothing but sun.

How quickly do the trials recover there after some rain? Bummed out.
    They recover pretty quickly. The soil doesn't hold water, so trails are often OK to ride a few hours after it rains. An all-day soaking rain, however, might be a problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So they aren't as keen on updating their trail status like they are in the twin cities. If it's been dry for a few hours, drive to the trail head and take a look. Odds are it's fine. The soil is a lot more rocky so it drains well.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IPSC shooter View Post
    And don't forget to visit Joyce at Bucket of Bones.
    Never forget! Awesome food and a crazy experience!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by voghan View Post
    So they aren't as keen on updating their trail status like they are in the twin cities. If it's been dry for a few hours, drive to the trail head and take a look. Odds are it's fine. The soil is a lot more rocky so it drains well.
    There isn't a real need to update our status every day. Other than really big storms, rain only needs an hour or two to dry off the trails. Per the FAQ on the trails page:

I HAVEN’T SEEN AN UPDATED TRAIL CONDITIONS UPDATE IN X DAYS, WHAT ARE THE TRAIL CONDITIONS?

​Last trail conditions is always the most up-to-date.

Unlike some trail systems, Cuyuna’s soil is pretty stable after precipitation events. Hence, we do not update for every weather event. Trails are closed while it is raining and generally are open about 2 hours after the end of a rain event unless otherwise noted in our trail conditions. If there is reason for concern (large rain event, trees down, etc.) we will update our trail conditions thusly.