Cuyuna?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cuyuna?

mtbr member

Cuyuna?

Yo! Heading out to ND and saw some info on Cuyuna Lake. I want to hit some good single track in Minnesota. Would you recommend this, of somewhere else?
    Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

No question mark... Cuyuna!

I'm partial because I live here, but I've been elsewhere and the riding is top notch for the Midwest. 27+ miles of single track and some old mine roads if you want to go for an adventure ride or find a quiet pit to swim in. All skill levels: flow trails, some technical stuff, some climbs, smooth stuff if you're just looking to roll fast. Ranked #1 in the state for riding. Definitely check it out. Cuyuna Brewing just opened this spring for local brew; Red Raven, Mixed Company, Crosby Bar, and Croft Pub and Grub can fix you up with some grub. If you need bikes or parts, Red Raven and Cycle/Path/Paddle can help out.

End of plug.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated.
    Can you camp there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You can camp at the recreation area's Portsmouth Campground or True North Base Camp. Both are right on the trail system. True North is closer to town if you wanted to ride your bike in to eat or drink. They also have camper cabin options which are pretty slick and overlook the pit. https://www.truenorthbasecamp.com/

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You'd be crazy to miss the chance to ride there. I'm 2.5 hours away and still make the trip a few times a year. Don't miss the Yawkey Unit trails (Bobsled, Tugger, Trout, Skip, etc.) A trip down Easy Street to get to Sandhog is well worth it too.

Where will you be in ND? There's surprisingly some good riding to be found there too.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    If you are near Fargo in ND at all, Detroit Mountain at Detroit Lakes is also very good and pretty close to Fargo. Really fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I plan on making the trip with my wife for a weekend of riding in August. It's about a 12 hour drive south for us (Canada). I'm really looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    You won't be dissapointed in Cuyuna. The crew that maintains the trails do an amazing job and the variety of terrain to ride make it hard to beat in my opinion . It's truly a beautiful area. I feel fortunate being only a 1/2 hour away and make it over there a couple times a week. Here's a quick video the chamber shared from Memorial day. https://youtu.be/zny1WXLDbwE

mtbr member
    Expansion projects on tap for Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area: News Releases: Minnesota DNR

Couple of new restaurants, bike shops, sandwich places going up in Crosby. Slowly but surely the Recreation Area is pulling Crosby into the 21st century. Ironton...not so much.

MN/WI
    Aww man.

Here i was licking my chops about getting to FINALLY ride the Cayuna Trails. But when I'm gonna be up there is during deer hunting season, so the trails are closed.

News - CLMTBC - Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Crew

Sorry, but the Paul Bunyan Trail doesn't quite have the hills.
    Remember, nobody knows. So let's find out...

mtbr member
    Sorry about that. There are some new sections that opened up that I wanted to ride too, but some cracked ribs and then firearms deer season put that off. They have a lot of construction going on as they continue to try to spend $4.1 million in grants for trails and infrastructure. The new sections that I have ridden are very cool.

The Paul Bunyan Trail is boring even on a snowmobile.

I've been riding dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and mountain bikes out there for more than 30 years...long before it became a State Recreation Area. What those guys have done with that place is just amazing.

MN/WI
    So what's the alternative? Youse guys have snow such that a guy couldn't bring a road bike? Or what about dirt roads? Something. Anything. My compensation for doing something I wasn't wanting to do was to go biking!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theGliberal View Post
    So what's the alternative? Youse guys have snow such that a guy couldn't bring a road bike? Or what about dirt roads? Something. Anything. My compensation for doing something I wasn't wanting to do was to go biking!
    Until tonight I would have said road biking that weekend would be a winner but I just got done picking my way back from the Twin Cities in a very annoying snowstorm and there's about two inches of snow around here now. That's all likely to be gone by the weekend you're talking about.

I'd recommend bringing your road bike and hitting the Paul Bunyan Trail. I'm pretty sure it's open during deer season, although a call to the DNR office might be wise before loading your bike up.

MN/WI
    Found out that Pillsbury State Park is in a different deer hunting zone that the Cayuna. The hunting season there ends 11/12. Apparently Cayuna is right on the border for where the hunting season ends 11/19.

I've been there in the past -- way past. It was in the summer time, so I had an entourage of biting insects with me. Shouldn't be an issue this time.

mtbr member
    Found out that Pillsbury State Park is in a different deer hunting zone that the Cayuna. The hunting season there ends 11/12. Apparently Cayuna is right on the border for where the hunting season ends 11/19.

I've been there in the past -- way past. It was in the summer time, so I had an entourage of biting insects with me. Shouldn't be an issue this time.
    Never been there, but they have about 30 miles of trails, and they're in zone 200, where deer season ends on the 12th, as you noted. If you do ride there, please post back about your experience. I'm curious.

MN/WI
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    If you do ride there, please post back about your experience. I'm curious.
    You betcha!

MN/WI
    Started from the Walter E Stark assembly area. First went east on Pillsbury Trail that brings you back to Pillsbury Forest Road (~7 miles). The went southwest on the same trail -- out and back (~4 miles). Mostly horse trails with some shared for ATV/snowmobiles.

My thoughts

Horses are big and leave hoof prints
    Horses don't mind steep hills
    Horses poop
    Trails have ruts and rocks
    Trail markings are slight and open to interpretation
    Do not do this without a GPS
    You will feel remote
    You are remote

Would I do it again? Not if the Cayuna is open.

mtbr member

Would I do it again? Not if the Cayuna is open.

Good to know. Thanks for following up.

The Cuyuna trails are open again with some new trails that are really outstanding. There are a few areas that are closed due to construction of new trails. Come the spring, that place will be awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Me and my buddy are coming down from Canada to camp and ride Cuyuna the weekend of Oct 5-8th. It's already around freezing up here, so I'm looking forward to some nice outdoor activity 760 miles south!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
    Me and my buddy are coming down from Canada to camp and ride Cuyuna the weekend of Oct 5-8th. It's already around freezing up here, so I'm looking forward to some nice outdoor activity 760 miles south!
    Trails are in great shape. The only annoying thing that time of year can be leaves on the trails. They're not bad right now.

If you're camping anyway, and going to be here awhile, consider renting a Yurt. They have three of them, located in the Yawkey Unit and they are very, very nice. Right on the trail over there. Might not make sense for just two people but maybe worth a call to see what they cost. Alternatively, True North Base Camp gets pretty good marks too, also right on the trail and an easy ride into town.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/yurts.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hope you have lodging already planned out! Oremaggedon is October 6th and will use most of the trail system that day.

Enjoy! Fall is great time in Cuyuna.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I have a camping site reserved at True North Base camp.

Mkivisto: would it make sense for me to leave Cuyuna on the 6th and go bike somewhere else like Duluth or Cable Wisconson for the day?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The trails close for race setup and then for the race. But as the trails are done for the race, they open up. So by 3:00pm all the trails will be open.

My suggestion would be to race or volunteer. The race is fun!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Do you need any particular skill level to race?

mtbr member
    Teravail Oremageddon - Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Crew

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just the ability to go 12 or 25 or 50 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    There will be riders of all ability levels racing or riding. Definitely a fun event and atmosphere. Packet pickup at Ruttger's Bay Lake Lodge the night before should be a fun time, and the after party will right in downtown Crosby at Red Raven. I recommend sticking around to get the full Cuyuna experience!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Looks like snow/rain for the next couple days I'm here... great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Looks like snow/rain for the next couple days I'm here... great.
    Hang in there, Johnny. Trails generally open a couple hours after rain has stopped. Unless you're leaving ruts, get out there and ride. Go out to Ruttger's tonight for the packet pickup party when it starts raining at 6:00. Live music. Saturday and Sunday look pretty clear.