Cross tires for the Chequamegon 40 - anyone ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cross tires for the Chequamegon 40 - anyone ?

Curious, anyone ever use cross tires mounted on 29er rims for the Chequamegon Fat Tire 40? They seem like they would spin very, very well and would not beat up a guy too much when mounted to a front suspended/soft tail 29er bike (Salsa Dos Niner). I have been looking at the Stan's Raven Cross tire.... Anyone ever try this set-up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    People have done the 40 on full-fledged cross bikes, for sure - but I think you'll really appreciate the extra volume in the tires, even with your suspension. I entertained the same notion last year and did a little summer recon, riding the whole Birkie Trail on my cross bike. I found some benefit to the cross tires, but the overall speed of that race is so high, and some of the the descents are rutted and squirrelly enough that I wasn't really relaxing enough to recover on many of those fast, steep drops. Everyone knows the Fat course is pretty far from 'technical', but at speed some of those 'obscured' grassy stretches really benefit from having some extra rubber contacting the ground. On my FS Santa Cruz, running 1.9's, I could really 'sit back' and bomb those things - leaving a lot more gas for the multitude of climbs heading into the finish. That's my two cents anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The possibility of flating is way higher when you run cross tires. Most folks who run those end up with at least 1 flat.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I do appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

Members who have read this thread: 0